By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Prime 3 Reviews Thread

ckmlb said:
OMG 1UP review 9.0 for Metroid Prime 3?????

The bias just exploded my head. Wii bias confirmed!!!!!!

1UP is biased against Wii games because they give wii games lower reviews on average than most other sites, while not showing the same disparity for other consoles. 1UP Metroid review: 9.0, average review: 9.5. You're right, Wii bias is confirmed.

Not a huge bias, but still a bias.

Edit: Do you work for the 1UP PR department or something? You always seem to come to their defense.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
OMG 1UP review 9.0 for Metroid Prime 3?????

The bias just exploded my head. Wii bias confirmed!!!!!!

You do realize that it is the lowest score this game has recieved, correct? Why is that you never respond to these comments? These conversations always go like this:

Ckmlb: "Omg, 1up is soooo biased against the Wii! /sarcasm,"

And then someone brings up a reasonable point, such as the fact that 1up's Wii reviews are profoundly below the industry norm (while their 360/PS3 reviews are only slightly below), or here, that 1up's 9 is actually the lowest score the game has recieved.

And then Ckmlb does not respond. I happen to be one of the people who does not think that 1up is very biased, but your continued disregard for reasonable, coherent arguments against the site is a little aggravating. It's brought up every single time you make these types of sarcastic statements, and then you absolutely never show up in those threads again.

Edit: with the gamespot review in, 1up's score is now the second lowest.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

About Gamespot's 8.5 review:

Their problems with the game included they thought it was 'too easy' because of the controls. Ummm, why, because dual analog sucks? Because it's hell to aim with a thumbstick? Would they rather struggle through the game with a 1/2 inch joystick?? Do crappy controls (aka 'harder') make shooters more fun? Do these idiots rate PC shooters as 'too easy' because aiming with the mouse is like point and click??

They also said that it 'Doesn't do much different than the previous two'. Uhhhh... it's a sequel. Duh. It's not gonna reinvent the freakin wheel. And what about the control system that is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT?? 

I don't think the review is fair at all. Gamespot is a reviewer that has been pretty biased against Nintendo platforms for a while. I guess their crap won't stop now :(. Oh well, I'll just stick with IGN like I always have, they are pretty fair across the board.

Well they are saying that it's not different form Prime 1 and 2, but they gave it a sequel award for improved sequel on their picture summaries.

Where's the point in this review ? They say something and they contradict themselves two lines after.

They say the game is more a shooter than adventure (first reviews I see with this comment, others said that it was in the middle and that's perfect) and the game lose the feel of past Metroid games because of that, but on the last comment they say it's lacking a multi-player mode !!!!! It's a multi-player mode that doesn't feel really Metroid !!!!

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

RolStoppable said:
Cadence said:
GameSpot review just got put up. 8.5, seems pretty fair. No sarcasm intended in this post.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidprime3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

What I think is so great about gamespot is that they gave the third installment of Prince of Persia a rating of 8.6 which is equal to a 8.5 in their new rating system. Corruption is a sequel of the same quality level as Two Thrones? Damn right.

I am waiting for Gamespot's Halo 3 review now. From what we know of Halo 3 it will probably offer less improvements/changes over its previous games than Corruption did over its previous games (controls are a big difference and also well executed).

If Gamespot is going to use the same standards in all of their reviews Halo 3 is unlikely to score higher than 8.5.

Except this is Gamespot we are talking about here.

Around the Network

ratings are meaningless. if your an old-school metroid fan, you'll buy this game, like i will.

stop complaining that your Nintendo Game didn't get a higher score.

RolStoppable said:
super_etecoon said:

Except this is Gamespot we are talking about here.

Are you seriously implying that Gamespot is 360 biased?

I've always just thought they were Pro HD.  Didn't realize there was a Sony bias only.  That's because I don't go to their site.  I used to go to the forums and those are certainly 360 biased.  Maybe that was the reason for my confusion.

I thought GameSpot's score was a bit lower compared to everybody elses, but oh well, it's only a number. I'll have to make my own opinion once I play it.

My problems with the Gamespot review:

The controls are too good and it makes the game easier?  Well, for one thing there is an advanced mode unlocked after you beat the game, which according to the other review sources is signifficantly more challenging (IGN hadn't even beat it yet).  Isn't bad control just a false difficulty?  Basically the game less difficult than other shooters because it controls infinitely better.  That's fair.  Why is Bioshock, an even easier game, not criticized for it's difficulty?  

Since when was familiarty with past titles something to take off points for?  3 Ratchet and Clank games don't seem to be affected by the fact that nothing changes between them.  Nor does Halo 2, Call of Duty 2 and 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Subsistence, Madden 08, GTA3 and it's various nearly identical reproductions,  Dead or Alive 4, Guitar Hero 2, Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, oh and about 100 other games that are identical or nearly identical to their predecessors yet scored higher than them, and higher Metroid Prime 3.  Are you seriously going to try and tell me that ANY of those games changed more than was changed in Metroid Prime 3?  That's a problem people.  We are past the point of double standard, and to the point of outright BS.  

So yeah, defend gamespot's review all you want, but 1.5 points off for a control scheme that's too good and a game being similar to it's sequels (despite them having an extremely long history of not taking off for that) is complete crap.  I expected better from gamespot.

RolStoppable said:

Are you seriously implying that Gamespot is 360 biased?

Personally I would say gamespot is more hype/advertising revenue/graphics/their reviewers suck bias. I stopped reading gamespot ages ago due to to things like Metroid DS being reviewed without the reviewer playing the game for more than 30mins (there were massive errors in his review), Savage being reviewed after only playing the game for 2hours, games like battlefield 2142 getting an 8 for graphics (while the site is covered in advertising and lots of hype) while Dark Messiah gets a 7 (no hype, little advertising, graphics are artistically miles better and technically at least on par but probably better).

With the metroid review they didn't even change the final score after they took down the made up review.

Naznatips it's not the score I care about I was just making a point.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.