By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Prime 3 Reviews Thread

Astrodust said:
stof said:
Astrodust said:
The reviews I've seen are thorough enough for me. The only downside for me is lack of multiplayer to extend the life of the game but I have Gears of War for that. I've only played it once in like the last 4 months. I suck at it. My roommates girlfriend could own me in that game. She plays Gears like 5 hours a day. No joke.

Metroid isn't a very multiplayer friendly series. It would be kind of like making The Legend of Zelda multiplayer.

Metroid would make a great Multiplayer with a bit of work. They proved it can be done on the DS and I am sure they will look at it in the future. So it is not unfamiliar territory for Metroid. If there is any game that allows Nintendo to ease into the multiplayer arena with an already established fanbase, it's Metroid. The setting in Metroid would also allow for some fantastic matches in very exotic alien locations.

I think you're forgetting that the DS version flopped hard, and was criticized by fans and critics alike.

Also, Retro said that they were taking a break from the Metroid series to work on other stuff.  I'm hoping for Kid Icarus personally. 

Around the Network

I would complain about the 9.5 score, since it was better than Prime 1, but I saw legitimate reasons to lower the score. Up to 10 second load time at times. A boring fetch quest at the end-takes away from the whole mojo. An easier than expected final showdown-really?

I would have given it a 9.6 with these problems. 9.5 seems fine to me.

I will agree with Rol, though, that the controls themselves do merit, to an extent, the same level of evolution in the game as the original Prime.

Off Topic: I believe Super Mario Galaxy will end up scoring higher than Mario 64. Reading the hands-on comments, the evolution seems to be there.

FishyJoe said:
I was kind of expecting this game to get panned in some reviews. It will be interesting to see what the sales are, although my expectations are still pretty low compared to SMG ans SSBB.

I assume you are reffering to 1UP when you say this. The funny thing is, even though they gave it a high score, they seemed to focus more on what was wrong with the game rather than what was good about it. Making the review seem more negative than it should have been for a 9.0 score. This further lends credence to their rumored Nintendo bias.

Is retro owned by Nintendo?

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

babycakes33 said:
Is retro owned by Nintendo?

Yep indeedy how.  I think after this game Nintendo should let them expand to do two simultaneous projects, these guys rock hard. :D

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Rab said:
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

"More precision than any dual-analog-helmed FPS ever created" - IGN

Well I'd hope so. Dual analog sticks sucks hard for shooters. It's the worst control mechanism I've seen people accept.

Nah, back when I started playing shooters it was keyboard control. Peroid. Nowadays you young whippersnappers are spoiled with your mouselook and your jumping and ladders.

Back in my day you had to blow yourself up with grenades and rockets if you wanted to jump. And did we complain? No! We were tough, and we liked blowing ourselves apart just to get the flamethrower a few levels early!

All the levels were uphill, both ways in the snow I tells ya. Hey! Are you listening to me?!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Gametrailers reviewed it!!! I must say Im extreemly impressed, the graphics are amazing for any game (to me it looks better than resistance on ps3) the gameplay look very fun and entertaining, and I dont know much about the story but the theme's are godly.

This game deserves what gametrailers gave it

Overall: 9.6
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24117.html

(Dude Im serious, this game makes me want a wii. I might actually get one for this game not joking either)

mM
DonWii said:
I would complain about the 9.5 score, since it was better than Prime 1, but I saw legitimate reasons to lower the score. Up to 10 second load time at times. A boring fetch quest at the end-takes away from the whole mojo. An easier than expected final showdown-really?

I will agree with Rol, though, that the controls themselves do merit, to an extent, the same level of evolution in the game as the original Prime.

Off Topic: I believe Super Mario Galaxy will end up scoring higher than Mario 64. Reading the hands-on comments, the evolution seems to be there.

What IGN said was that the game was overall a better game than Prime 1, but Metroid Prime 1 was a huge revolution for the franchise, while Prime 3 didn't have the big change. It was just more of the same...

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

rickthestick2 said:
DonWii said:

What IGN said was that the game was overall a better game than Prime 1, but Metroid Prime 1 was a huge revolution for the franchise, while Prime 3 didn't have the big change. It was just more of the same...

Kid are you joking? Graphics are amazing, the controls and gameplay (according to reviweres) seem to be amazing, how is it not a big change? (It uses the wii mote!!)

mM
DonWii said:

To be fair though everything there can also be applied to Bioshock. The last boss is insanely easy (in fact he only hit me once), there is a fetch quest in the middle and another at the end. There are load times between any of the different levels, the levels are pretty long each but it can get annoying when you just want to get something right at the entrance to an area then nip back.

So seems to me that MP3 really deserved the same score. I suppose it's just due to different reviewers.

Btw Bioshock really is as good as the reviews say it is, it's incredible.

It seems to silly to mark a series down because it isn't brand new. Metroid Prime was the first 3d metroid, so of course it was a major change. I wonder if MP3 had been the first the reviews would have been either higher or likewise if bioshock was the third game (I suppose it kinda is) would the reviews be lower? Will Halo 3 have .2 knocked off because of the 3 in the title?

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.