By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Prime 3 Reviews Thread

I'm actually really looking forward to MP3 now that I've heard how effective the controls are.

I guess I may have to finish Bioshock instead of watching some movies tonight.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
naznatips said:

My problems with the Gamespot review:

The controls are too good and it makes the game easier? Well, for one thing there is an advanced mode unlocked after you beat the game, which according to the other review sources is signifficantly more challenging (IGN hadn't even beat it yet). Isn't bad control just a false difficulty? Basically the game less difficult than other shooters because it controls infinitely better. That's fair. Why is Bioshock, an even easier game, not criticized for it's difficulty?

Since when was familiarty with past titles something to take off points for? 3 Ratchet and Clank games don't seem to be affected by the fact that nothing changes between them. Nor does Halo 2, Call of Duty 2 and 3, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Subsistence, Madden 08, GTA3 and it's various nearly identical reproductions, Dead or Alive 4, Guitar Hero 2, Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, oh and about 100 other games that are identical or nearly identical to their predecessors yet scored higher than them, and higher Metroid Prime 3. Are you seriously going to try and tell me that ANY of those games changed more than was changed in Metroid Prime 3? That's a problem people. We are past the point of double standard, and to the point of outright BS.

So yeah, defend gamespot's review all you want, but 1.5 points off for a control scheme that's too good and a game being similar to it's sequels (despite them having an extremely long history of not taking off for that) is complete crap. I expected better from gamespot.

I don't mind the score (it's still quite good), but taking off points for these reasons is a little odd. I thought the problem with the Wii Remote was that it was only good for casual titles, not for more difficult "hardcore" games. Now the remote is so good for a hardcore game that it brings down review scores? Nintendo just can't win :p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

8.5 from GameSpot seems *really* harsh to me. Considering they didn't really find any issues with the game.

And WarioWare being a 9.1? Never knew about that, but that just isn't right.

Wario is around a 7.5 for me, and I think Metroid will be a 9.5.

Go figure - this is why we have lots of different reviewers ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

BrainBoxLtd said:
naznatips said:

Why is Bioshock, an even easier game, not criticized for it's difficulty?

I think they did complain about it being easier than Halo, which I found funny since Halo 1's campaign wasn't very
hard, then again, I played it on PC. =P

I actually find Gamespot's review the most (Relatively) helpful because since they're usually the lowest they often represent the worst case scenario and I can see if there's anything that'll be setting me up for disappointment.

Even that aside, they geek out over certain games, and aren’t useful for them, and they usually complain about things that don’t really matter. All though I don’t necessarily disagree with their score for Twilight Princess, I found most of the stuff they complained about were non-issues for me, and didn’t really mention the stuff that I took issue with.

So even as the counterpoint, they’re only somewhat useful. =P

Oh I agree, their review was helpful, but not their score.   Their score made no sense at all.  "So yeah, the game was nearly perfect, and the controls were the best ever, and it really streamlined combat in games while sticking to the formula that made the first two games great... but... uh... yeah, 8.5." >_> 

8.5 from Game Pro

GamePro
While the game isn't littered with NPCs, there's a lot of interaction with fellow bounty hunters and objectives given from outside sources. It seems like this and the multi-planet settings were both added to make the game feel more like an action-adventure than an adventure-action title, which is a shame since it flies in the face of what made Metroid one of the best franchises in gaming.

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/reviews/131309.shtml

Around the Network

As many have said before me, docking points because the awesome controls make it easier is ridiculous. I guess we should all play FPS on a single D-pad that automatically switched between movement and aiming every half second, eh? The logic required to make sense of such a statement is completely beyond me. It's only natural for better controls to making fighting easier. They spoke of "fumbling" around with the GC controller as if it was a good thing. This, combined with the TP review has completely destroyed all respect I once had for GameSpot (Admittedly, a low amount, but it actually existed before now).

I don't think we do hate hard on FPS.

We hate hard on the same generic WWII with big teeth enemy alien footsoldier and bald space marine muscle pumped protagonist that's been played a million times before.

We hate on FPS devs who consistently ignore Nintendo in all its forms.

We hate on FPS games whos' sole contribution to developent is a new shader for shrapnel and skin, requiring purchase of Windows Vista and a DX10 card. 

We hate on FPS games that declare single player dead.

We hate on devs who insinuate that FP is the only real way to play a game.  

Generally this is what everyone here should be hating, or at least getting tired of.

Oh, and Metroid doesn't fall into any of those. Sure there's more exposition, and I think the Metroid purists are a bit miffed at that. But I hear towards the middle of the game there's more of the loneliness we've all come to expect and love in Metroid. 

I actually think Nintendo fans are looking forward to FPS games, and no one's going to deny how exciting Half Life 2 and Bioshock are. In fact, I think many of us are dying for a Wii port of HL2 or Portal or Mirror's Edge.

We'll never get one though. Because the Devs are bastards, blind to the majority. Metroid could outsell Halo 3 and it still wouldn't persuade those asses they should stop ignoring us.

Actually I'm confused on Gamepros score, is it 4.25 or what?

super_etecoon said:
8.5 from Game Pro

GamePro
While the game isn't littered with NPCs, there's a lot of interaction with fellow bounty hunters and objectives given from outside sources. It seems like this and the multi-planet settings were both added to make the game feel more like an action-adventure than an adventure-action title, which is a shame since it flies in the face of what made Metroid one of the best franchises in gaming.

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/reviews/131309.shtml

An interesting review.  They at least seem to justify their score, so I'm happier with this review than with Gamespot's.  I guess I'm becomming somewhat confused though by the conflicting reports about the amount of exploration vs. combat.  Gametrailers and IGN both claimed there was a good balance, leaving plenty of exploration and just streamlining the way it's done.  1UP sort of skipped over the subject. Gamespot says it was more shooter-like, but then turns around and says it's just like the first two lol.  Game Pro seems to be very specific in that they consider it to be too heavy on the combat.  Guess that's something that every person will have to judge for themselves.

4.25/5 = 8.5/10
Not sure if that was what you meant.