By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears and not God of War deserves the acronym GOW.

or just GoW and Gears

Around the Network

This thread is hilarious.  I would have to agree with OnyxMeth in the linguistics area.  However if you're going to use words like "of" or "for" in the acronym they are usually lower case and usually only used in short acronyms.  DoD (Department of Defense) for example.  Otherwise they are usually omitted: CDC (Center for Disease Control), USAMRIID (United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases). 

So I think the appropriate acronym for people to argue about would be GoW. 

Carry on then

*joins the fray*

If we're talking about Gears in a certain thread, I might use the acronym GoW, because we all know what I'm talking about.

If we're talking about God of War in a certain thread, I might use the acronym GoW too, because we all know what I'm talking about.

I say GoW = Gears of War/God of War, depending on the situation or thread! *went there*

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Kasz216 said:

^Hey... as for which is GOW... here is a good test.

Go to goole.

Type "GOW" then hit "I feel Lucky."

God of War doesn't even show up on the first 4 pages.

LoL took me straight to the GoW2 age gate. The internet votes for Gears of War it seems.

BTW I prefer Gears to GoW.

Rabbid fanboy arguments on the internet sure make my work day go by faster. We need a no holds bard fourm.

The OP is just pointing out the mass hypocrisy on the forums

Around the Network

In some world where this actually matters, and there could only be one, like an acronym highlander, God of War gets the nod.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Let me guess... Failed joke thread?

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

I should make a thread about Mario Kart vs Mortal Kombat = MK and make loads of cash like this!

*gets mauled by countless users*

SHMUPGurus said:

*joins the fray*

If we're talking about Gears in a certain thread, I might use the acronym GoW, because we all know what I'm talking about.

If we're talking about God of War in a certain thread, I might use the acronym GoW too, because we all know what I'm talking about.

I say GoW = Gears of War/God of War, depending on the situation or thread! *went there*

I agree, I use that to distinguish between Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge, but I am just so accustomed to writing GeoW that I never write GoW for Gears anymore

I think "Gears" is a lot easier and faster to type out than "GeOW".

Isn't the point of abbreviating to make it easier and faster to type? :P