By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears and not God of War deserves the acronym GOW.

Khuutra said:
Onyxmeth said:

For those saying that "Gears" is the acronym for Gears of War, do note that the word "Gears" is not an acronym in the first place. It's not anything actually. If your name is John James Smith and people call you John, that isn't your acronym. That's your first name. How do you all put so much heart behind an argument you have absolutely no clue about?

I think it's fair to allow that they mean that Gears is short for Gears of War, whether or not they are misusing the word "acronym".

Good point. So that would mean Gears of War doesn't have an acronym at all does it? Which would mean it's entitled to one.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

How about we all just see the context of where the GOW acronym is used? The J man hopes everyone on this site has atleast the reading comprehension to do that.

And why is this page nearing 200 replies and why do people care?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

CGI-Quality said:
@ Onymeth

Which in a sense GeOW works, no?

Sure. Except it would be "GEOW" since we don't need to write the "e" in lower case, and then you also run into the problem of people thinking you're talking about Geometry Wars. So how do you solve that one?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

jesus kung fu magic said:

How about we all just see the context of where the GOW acronym is used?

The J man hopes everyone on this site has atleast the reading comprehension to do that.

And why is this page nearing 200 replies?

It's because asking for forum wide reading comprehension is akin to your water into wine and walking on water miracles. Unless you're sprinkling pixie dust on some of these people, it just isn't happening.

to me GOW = God Of War.

PLAYSTATION®3

Around the Network

GOW = God of War

u have a problem with that bring u favorite weapon from GeOW and try taking down Kratos (also known as the GOD OF WAR)

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

GOW will never be known as GOW, As GOW is a supreior game to GOW it should have the title GOW, it just allows for less confusion if we call the game GOW and not GOW GOW.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

Onyxmeth said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ Onymeth

Sure. Except it would be "GEOW" since we don't need to write the "e" in lower case, and then you also run into the problem of people thinking you're talking about Geometry Wars. So how do you solve that one?

Also that when making an acroynm it's actually grammatically incorrect to use words such as "of" in the acronym.

If we want to be technically they should be argueing over which game should be called GW.

Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ Onymeth

Also that when making an acroynm it's actually grammatically incorrect to use words such as "of" in the acronym.

If we want to be technically they should be argueing over which game should be called GW.

I definitely agree with you there, but as I've come to find, that's not always how it works. For some reason, many acronyms, initialisms, etc. sometimes contain the initial of words such as "of", "and" and many others I would never put into an acronym I create. Usually though they are merely included in backronyms since it's nearly impossible to make a backronym without using those types of words.

An example is EPCOT-Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. I don't think it was a backronym either but I can't be sure.

LOL!!!!

Still going...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS