By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears and not God of War deserves the acronym GOW.

uh maybe its because it God of War came first. i hope you didnt think to long and hard on this pointless observation, which I think you made just to incite an argument??

Around the Network

You know I just read this whole thread and I fear my level of geekness may be too high, cause I actualy care about what people are saying and want to state my opinion.
The truth is 360 fans don't even care about the acronym that much, cause they refer to the game as Gears most of the time, but they just want to be able to say that Gears of War>God of War (wich really is Microsoft>Sony, in their minds) and that's pretty much it.

PS.: God of War was first, bitch!! MK is still mortal kombat unless you're little bitch that started gaming yesterday!! Fucking n00bs!!

Wow I sounded lkike a complete fanboy there. Sorry.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Johann said:
You know I just read this whole thread and I fear my level of geekness may be too high, cause I actualy care about what people are saying and want to state my opinion.
The truth is 360 fans don't even care about the acronym that much, cause they refer to the game as Gears most of the time, but they just want to be able to say that Gears of War>God of War (wich really is Microsoft>Sony, in their minds) and that's pretty much it.

PS.: God of War was first, bitch!! MK is still mortal kombat unless you're little bitch that started gaming yesterday!! Fucking n00bs!!

Wow I sounded like a complete B actor there. Sorry.

fixed and fixed

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

God of War came out first. Besides, the franchise is popular, good (though I haven't played myself except for the PSP demo) and the acronym GoW is mostly used with God of War. Sales alone are not enough to change a meaning, especially if this single forum can't enforce the thing on other forums as well.

Oh, and even the OP called Gears of War simply Gears, which is a rather good acronym in itself. See, there's no need for another acronym.

kirby007 said:
Johann said:

fixed and fixed

That's hillarious! You see people, because my avatar has Bruce Campbell in it! Get it?! HahaHaha! True comedic genius!

Fucking pink ball....

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Around the Network

God of War came first, so it gained GoW, Gears came second so it gets GeoW

Anyway, GooW sounds stupid, GeoW is much more simple, and Gears is quicker to write if you just want to give one of them an acronym. As for reviews {metacritic}:

God of War: 94
God of War 2: 93
GoW: Chains of Olympus: 91

Gears of War: 94
Gears of War 2: 93

So if we are just comparing console versions they have the same reviews, but Gears wins if we include GoW CoO, but then of course GoW is larger than GeoW by the fact that more games have been released on more platforms, so it has reached a larger audience....

Johann said:
kirby007 said:
Johann said:

fixed and fixed

That's hillarious! You see people, because my avatar has Bruce Campbell in it! Get it?! HahaHaha! True comedic genius!

Fucking pink ball....

hehe drown me in your envy

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

God of War was GOW long before Cliffy boy even thought about making Gears of War.

For those saying that "Gears" is the acronym for Gears of War, do note that the word "Gears" is not an acronym in the first place. It's not anything actually. If your name is John James Smith and people call you John, that isn't your acronym. That's your first name. How do you all put so much heart behind an argument you have absolutely no clue about?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

For those saying that "Gears" is the acronym for Gears of War, do note that the word "Gears" is not an acronym in the first place. It's not anything actually. If your name is John James Smith and people call you John, that isn't your acronym. That's your first name. How do you all put so much heart behind an argument you have absolutely no clue about?

I think it's fair to allow that they mean that Gears is short for Gears of War, whether or not they are misusing the word "acronym".