By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears and not God of War deserves the acronym GOW.

GoW'D Damn!

Around the Network

God of war came first, so it is GOW

lets revisit the google "gow" test a week or after the next God of War hits

I was surprised that the results of googling gow is indeed heavily biased towards Gears. After gears was pai gow poker.

the google "searches related to gow" suggestions had god of war 2 as #2, with #1 being gow glitches (gears)

i love the reason why squalliam was banned

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Lolz at the reason for squilliam's ban, but surely that was just a joke, and the real reason was something else...

Around the Network
perpride said:
@Khuutra - The fact that we are having this conversation proves nothing other than the fact that 360 fans would rather see the GOW acronym be used for Geras instead of God of War. Like I already said, this is a discussion that is impossible to "win" or be right in without doing real research and actually examining which game has the acronym used for it more. The transition you are talking about is also subjective, because while MK is more commonly used for Mario Kart, it has not stopped anyone from continuously using the acronym for Mortal Kombat. The only difference is that I make the argument that, in inter-console cases, GOW is used more commonly for God of War. Until that changes, or somehow you can physically prove which one is used more, my argument holds valid.

I also don't understand how sales are brought into an argument where we are talking about games from two completely different genres. Just because Gears sells better doesn't mean that everybody who has bought Gears will start using GOW to describe it instead of God of War. In fact, I'd make the argument that even those who have never played God of War but own Gears still more commonly use the acronym to describe the former.

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,470,000 for god of war gow. (0.17 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 19,200,000 for gears of war gow. (0.13 seconds)

^it probably was like a day ban or something to be funny, i think its hilarious.

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made

Well Pharaoh, he's banned for about a month. :P I thought he was only banned until the beginning of March for the flamebait thread he made, but now it's extended almost a month longer. He couldn't possibly do anything against TOS to make his ban longer while he was banned, so here are the options we're left with:

1) He was really banned for this
2) I remember incorrectly
3) His ban was accidentally lengthened while making the funny edit into the reason he was banned
4)????

God of War is GoW because the acronym was just another thing that Epic ripped off of the better games from last gen while creating Gears. And MK is still Mortal Kombat.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

wfz said:
Well Pharaoh, he's banned for about a month. :P I thought he was only banned until the beginning of March for the flamebait thread he made, but now it's extended almost a month longer. He couldn't possibly do anything against TOS to make his ban longer while he was banned, so here are the options we're left with:

1) He was really banned for this
2) I remember incorrectly
3) His ban was accidentally lengthened while making the funny edit into the reason he was banned
4)????

Those, uh... those thirty days were tacked on.

Maybe he used an alternate ID?

Let's ask a mod.