By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

double post.. but do you get what im sayin man so its better just to defend your 360 because obviously its outselling the ps3 soooo bad.. lol

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

For a playstation branded product, it is doing quite pathetic. For a $600 dollar system, it wasn't doing so hot either (3 months in a row of sub-100k on NPD). As of late, for a heavily bundled system (EU/AU) and offered at a discount price (US/JP), it is selling at a decent pace.

Software sales, however, seem to be suffering, much like it's little cousin, the PSP. Only a few games, two if I remember correctly, have sold a million copies since its inception, and few others have crossed the 500k mark, while the Wii has about 8 million sellers in the same time span, and the 360 has over 20 total.

As a means of winning the HD Movie wars, however, I'd say it is doing that job pretty well. Which kind of makes you wonder where Sony's head is at ...... 

well, I think it is selling badly because the last 2 consoles they made sold over 100 million consoles each, and the PS3 only has 4 million and it's been almost a year. It will be almost impossible for the ps3 to get 100 million. The Wii might, but no way the ps3 will. Saying that, the PS3 is a failure so far.

I wouldn't call it a failure, but compared to the PS1 and PS2 which both sold over 100 million units worldwide, I have to say that it is doing pretty bad. If they launched it at a lower price, things might be different, but they didn't so sales are low.

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

I would just like every person who is saying the PS3 isn't selling that badly to sit back and try a mental excercise ...

Imagine that the sales were different and the PS3 was the fastest selling game console in history and just passed the XBox 360 and (on average) outsold the XBox 360 and Wii combined in weekly sales. The Wii on the other hand is selling slower than the Gamecube and is one of the slowest selling sequel consoles of all time. How much third party support could Nintendo attract or maintain for games to be released in 2008/2009? What is the likelyhood that the Wii would be able to comeback and win the generation?

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features. Generally speaking consumers do not care about these things and rarely take note of them except to justify their purchase after the fact. 2007 and 2008 will not see much in the way of Blu-Ray adoption and by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library).

Sony could change the fate of the PS3 but it would require leadership and a willingness to save the console at all costs; if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3 to a more normal level ($300/$400) and buy exclusive games for 2008/2009 they would stand a chance at catching up to the Wii in 2011/2012 ... I don't expect to see this happening.

Around the Network
URNotE said:

double post.. but do you get what im sayin man so its better just to defend your 360 because obviously its outselling the ps3 soooo bad.. lol

no its not..now you're sayin it too LOL... i dont really care either way but it just makes me mad when the numbers prove that its not and people say its failing badly because its not selling at the same rate as the ps2... the only console on the market thats selling at that rate is the Wii people... the 360 isnt the ps3 isnt.. both ps3 and 360 are selling at xbox and game cube levels... and happy squirrel im not sure if that was directed towards me or not but i did not once mention anything about graphics and people choosing it in 2008 because of graphics.. im talking bout the numbers right here and right now.. im not talking bout the future because im not a phycic.. many people predicted the wii would never sell where are those people now... many people predicted the ps3 would have hit ten million by now where the hell are those people.. many people said the 360 would have ended the console wars by now.. none of those people are speaking up now.. all those people so called knew how everything was gonna happen... so my arguement is for right now.. not 2008 not 2009 because who knows what will happen.. i dont see how you can base an arguement on something that hasnt happened yet..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

@ HappySquirrel

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features.

No, features, specs, price, etc are all factors to take into account.

by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library)

IMO just speculations. With regard to games I think that's very unrealistic, it's clear the PS3 will have a huge games library judging from all the games being under development and many more new titles being announced regularly.

if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3

Bad plan. IMO it's much better to just continue running a profit overall, continue to cost reduce the PS3 and wait for the high profile games to hit the market and see how well the platform performs.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

HappySqurriel said:

I would just like every person who is saying the PS3 isn't selling that badly to sit back and try a mental excercise ...

Imagine that the sales were different and the PS3 was the fastest selling game console in history and just passed the XBox 360 and (on average) outsold the XBox 360 and Wii combined in weekly sales. The Wii on the other hand is selling slower than the Gamecube and is one of the slowest selling sequel consoles of all time. How much third party support could Nintendo attract or maintain for games to be released in 2008/2009? What is the likelyhood that the Wii would be able to comeback and win the generation?

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features. Generally speaking consumers do not care about these things and rarely take note of them except to justify their purchase after the fact. 2007 and 2008 will not see much in the way of Blu-Ray adoption and by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library).

Sony could change the fate of the PS3 but it would require leadership and a willingness to save the console at all costs; if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3 to a more normal level ($300/$400) and buy exclusive games for 2008/2009 they would stand a chance at catching up to the Wii in 2011/2012 ... I don't expect to see this happening.

Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku) and it has a huge lineup - much of it third-party exclusive - that hits in about 6 months.  Considering that the PS3 with very few exclusive games worth owning is (currently) selling better than the 360 even after the counter-price-cut, I think it is very reasonable to believe that it may well outsell the 360 by a LOT in 2008.  Nowhere close to Wii sales, of course, but still, I believe it could very possibly pass the 360 WW sales total by 2010. 

I am NOT a PS3 fanboy, by the way -- and I'm not accusing anyone of labeling me as such; I just want to forestall it.  I just think that the doom and gloom predictions are heavily based on comparing it to the PS2 and not comparing it to what is necessary for it to become a successful console in its own right -- more successful, perhaps, than the 360.  And I don't hate the 360, either -- I am very anxious to finish the story begun in Halo, and very excited about Mass Effect.  

There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation.  However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4.  If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success.  It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
OKAY. I THOUGHT I SPELLED THIS OUT PRETTY CLEARLY IN THE OP BUT APPARENTLY NOT.

THE PS3 IS SELLING POORLY COMPARED TO THE PS2. IT IS SELLING POORLY COMPARED TO THE WII. IT IS SELLING POORLY COMPARED TO EXPECTATIONS. IT IS SELLING POORLY COMPARED TO SONY'S PREDICTIONS.

COMPARED, COMPARED, COMPARED. NONE OF THAT MEANS THAT THE SALES ARE JUST PLAIN BAD.

The PS3 shouldn't lose developers to the 360, for instance, because it is in fact selling better than the 360. It will probably lose developers to the Wii, though.

The problem is that it is selling poorly compared to Gamecube, which actualy ended up somwhat bad in terms of 3rd party support.

The PS3 might lose developers for the 360 and the Wii because: 

1. Japan based developers will start to support Wii or DS instead of PS3.
  2. The xbox360 has one year headstart which have given a good userbase in USA, a distance that actualy never have been in deciline (since the launch of the PS3). According to the latest NPD nummers xbox360 actualy outsold PS3 those weeks after the price drop. This means that westen devs actualy have a good solid plattform in USA, they don't need the PS3 yet.
PS3 has the same problem that Gamecube had, it isn't strong in any market.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Soriku said:
I lol when Sony fans go "Wait till WKS and FF and MGS4! We'll show 'em!" like they did with Lair, WHAK, HS, etc. and they turn out to be meh. Man I can't wait when MGS, FF, WKS, and GTA come out.

The problem you have is that you've listened to Killzone3 and his kind long enough that you seem to believe that Lair and Warhawk were actually supposed to me MGS4-size hits.  They were not.  LBP and MGS4 will genuinely boost the console's poularity; how much so obviously remains to be seen.  And I can wait, because I'll have the 360's and Wii's hits first to play.  (The PS3's hits will have more impact on the PS3 than the 360's will on the 360 because the PS3 has so few good games until then.  The Wii is unstoppable in any case.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!