By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
Here is my wii theory..

Lets say the GC has a 40million install base.

Those 35million-40million want a wii(I didnt ps3 was my first ps console)

Now, as people get the wii there friends seem to enjoy it. Then they want a wii, sooner or later everyone has or wants one. Meaning the install base "may be double of what GC sold", but there's a twist in this theory. If it is truly true that only GC owners want a wii, along with "some" casuals, this would result bad for nintendo in the long run(the price = fast sales).

Sony can actaully do something to stop or halt wii sales, and thats making the ps3 cheaper. The ps3 has some serious potnetial in sales, people want it and by people I dont mean 1 million or so. Im pretty sure that if the ps3 drops price not only will x360 owners buy it(thats if they arent fanboys), but even some wii owners(hardcore gamers) will go pswii. So its something to monitor especially in september.

Right now the ps3 is outselling 360 in World wide sales weekly. It is selling pretty good.

Now the holiday sales will clearly show how well the ps3 can sell(this I mean this holiday season), maybe as well as it did at luanch with some 400k sold in one week.

NPD proves you wrong.
....I said right now not july. Seriously can you guys calculate through your head of what I am trying to say. NPD says 159,000 for july not august.(According to vg numbers ps3 is outselling it world wide ever since late july-to present).

mM
Around the Network

i think everyone needs to get on the same page here.. when you here someone saying that the ps3 is outselling the 360 weekly what are they talking bout?? A. american sales.. B european sales or C. worldwide sales..

obviously its not A or B.. even though its probably b.. too.. so that leaves C..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

@ leoDude, get out of the fog. This iisnt a sega saturn its one of the most popular consoles. Chill out bro."

i didnt know 17% was considered most popular......
btw i dont see mgs4 coming over to 360, and maybe a tiny (pulls out magnifiying glass) chance of ff coming but very unlikely thanks to how it was built and i will be guessing sony will make some sort of deal.
But if a few things occur, those chances could increase,

.....alot

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
finalsquall said:
PS3 and 360 are at the norm in sales.. The Wii phenomenon is making the sales look weak. Also Ps3 virtually has no games for the most part of 07. So to sell as it has speaks highly of the potential it has when the games come.

Really I don't understand when people say. Games need to come out for the system if it wants to sell units. Just now Konami said that they really don't want to develop MGS4 because the PS3 userbase is slow. But he is still making it. Then some developers say they are not going to make games...hold on my point is whos responiblitiy is it to make games for the system so the system can sell...Is it Sony or Third Party responsiblity??

Dude, get out of the fog. This iisnt a sega saturn its one of the most popular consoles. Chill out bro.

No, it's not. The numbers seem to be showing it's barely even a third as popular as either the Wii or the 360.

Yes it is popular, everybody knows what it is, and alot of people want one its just that they cant afford to waste 600dollars on one.

Where is your evidence for this baseless claim?

....I said right now not july. Seriously can you guys calculate through your head of what I am trying to say. NPD says 159,000 for july not august.(According to vg numbers ps3 is outselling it world wide ever since late july-to present).

Not only are you referring to a VERY small period of time (4 weeks), you'll notice that weekly lead is already decreasing.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Bonafide732 said:
it seems to me that most of you are trying to use ignorance as logic ps3 and 360 fans alike... ps3 isnt selling as it was expected to sale.. but that doesnt mean its selling poorly.. alot of people tend to think just because its not selling how it was perceived it was gonna sale that its selling poorly.. being able to keep even with the 360 shows that sony's console has alot of fight left in it.. lets say that ps3 gains 3 million on the 360 a year from now.. is that not an accomplishment ? as ive said before this console generation is gonna be different.. we've witnessed the wii overcome the 360 in 9 months.. all you can say is wow right there..

The systems which are in a similar position to the PS3 are the Gamecube, N64, Saturn and Dreamcast; this association comes from the fact that they have somewhat similar sales and are based off of established brands. These are systems that sold poorly at a time when the marekt was smaller thus the PS3 IS SELLING POORLY!

You can't spin Sony out of this position, the PS3 is selling at the rate where the last place console of most generations sells. This is being noticed and the PS3 will be sold to customers through the press as the biggest mistake in gaming history and as a massive flop; at the same time developers are starting to see it as the best way to lose a lot of money by developing games for it.

I've become more and more convinced as time goes on that 2007 will be the PS3's best year in terms of sales and things are going to get worse from here; in 2008 and 2009 all that will be announced will be multiplatform games and people are not going to spend the additional $150 to $200 to play games on a system because "it is the PS3"; in 2010 and 2011 those drought filled days of 2008 and 2009 will seem like the good ol' days as only multi-platform movie tie-ins and crapware are announced for the PS3.

The battle is over, Nintendo has both Microsoft and Sony in Check and Sony has their 12 year old inbred cousin with down's syndrome planning their next move.

happy squirrel according to this website the 360 and ps3 are both selling at the same rate as the orignal xbox... so i guess the 360 is selling poorly too..

i think people are so used to saying sony sucks etc.. that they dont even look at the numbers or facts anymore.. and all those systems you named are selling at 3 times the rate of the dreamcast so its best not to even use that in a conversation about sales..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

ceres said:

As I said in another thread, the PS2 made a reasonably priced DVD player. The problem with blu ray is that it made a ridiculously priced gaming console.

And there is another problem for the PS-3 right ahead. The DVD had no direct competitors. Since Paramount changed to HD DVD it is highly unlikely that this format will vanish in the next two years. This is a huge blow for BluRay. No "Star Trek", no "Lord of the Rings"? This more or less secures the stalemate of these formats for the moment at least till Hybrid players become more common.

This lowers the value of the BluRay component considerably, because it can no longer be used as a one for evrything machine.

MikeB said:

@ johnsobas

Yea the PS2 was a real battle huh? They sold 900,000 units in 24 hours in Japan alone!! It took PS3 HALF A YEAR to do what PS2 did in 1 DAY!!

Price is a major fator in Japan. The PS3 is currently about performing on par with the original PSX in Japan at twice the price. The PS3 has totally outperfomed the XBox 360 for the highend market in Japan.

This shows there's a lot of potential for the PS3 in Japan with exclusive highly anticipated games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, White Knight Story and Gran Turismo coming up within a year timespan. Bestselling titles like Resistance and Motorstorm are more geared towards North American and European customers. I also expect the PS3 to become increasingly popular in Japan with future price drops. With the PS3 having already marginaliyzed the XBox 360 in Japan despite the rival's one year headstart, the more anticpated highend multi-platform games will likely have more a positive effect on PS3 sales than on XBox 360 sales.

However the world is larger than Japan alone, according to Sony's figures the PS3 is outperforming the PS2 in
PAL regions which is quite extraordinary at twice the entry price. 

First of all the PS2 was 40,000 yen at launch, the PS3 is 50,000 right now, if you include inflation the difference is pretty minimal.  Don't expect a price cut soon because that is equivilant to $425.  Japan is over, PS3 can scramble to pick up a few more million over its lifetime but that's it.  Take a look at the release list for the rest of the year in Japan, it is crap compared to the Wii's, and even the 360 lineup looks good in comparison.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I think it's selling bad compared to the others. 4 million isn't a bad number, but when everyone sees the other's numbers, they tend to think PS3's sucks. But things change. In a year it could be selling 10,000 more units per week than now. Or even 10,000 less. We'll have to see if people think next years games are worth the large pricetag.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

@ bonafide732...
look i know you love your 360 and ps3 but you have to remember whenever you defend the ps3 theres no winning.. if you look at the numbers everything you say is right.. but when it comes to the ps3 most people just disregard the numbers because they are so used to bashing the system and on top of that ps3 fanatics can say some crazy things to egg people on.... ive been readint people say that the ps3 is selling at the same rate as the dreamcast.. THATS FALSE. those people dont even need to be posting if they are gonna say dumb stuff like that.. my arch rival the 360 is selling at the same rate as the ps3 but yet you here people say the ps3 is selling poorly and not the 360.. the 360 had a year headstart so of course it has 10 mil to the ps3;s 4 million... everyone just disrards all of that.. they'll say the 360 was supply constrained or some crap like that... you know what i say to those people.. yea okay it was supply constrained but it was the only nex gen console on the market for a year... 1 year... numbers are numbers and facts are facts if people are not gonna base conversation of those 2 things and common sense then its not even worth me having a convo with you...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732