By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

Final-Fan said:
HappySqurriel said:

I would just like every person who is saying the PS3 isn't selling that badly to sit back and try a mental excercise ...

Imagine that the sales were different and the PS3 was the fastest selling game console in history and just passed the XBox 360 and (on average) outsold the XBox 360 and Wii combined in weekly sales. The Wii on the other hand is selling slower than the Gamecube and is one of the slowest selling sequel consoles of all time. How much third party support could Nintendo attract or maintain for games to be released in 2008/2009? What is the likelyhood that the Wii would be able to comeback and win the generation?

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features. Generally speaking consumers do not care about these things and rarely take note of them except to justify their purchase after the fact. 2007 and 2008 will not see much in the way of Blu-Ray adoption and by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library).

Sony could change the fate of the PS3 but it would require leadership and a willingness to save the console at all costs; if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3 to a more normal level ($300/$400) and buy exclusive games for 2008/2009 they would stand a chance at catching up to the Wii in 2011/2012 ... I don't expect to see this happening.

Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku) and it has a huge lineup - much of it third-party exclusive - that hits in about 6 months.  Considering that the PS3 with very few exclusive games worth owning is (currently) selling better than the 360 even after the counter-price-cut, I think it is very reasonable to believe that it may well outsell the 360 by a LOT in 2008.  Nowhere close to Wii sales, of course, but still, I believe it could very possibly pass the 360 WW sales total by 2010. 

I am NOT a PS3 fanboy, by the way -- and I'm not accusing anyone of labeling me as such; I just want to forestall it.  I just think that the doom and gloom predictions are heavily based on comparing it to the PS2 and not comparing it to what is necessary for it to become a successful console in its own right -- more successful, perhaps, than the 360.  And I don't hate the 360, either -- I am very anxious to finish the story begun in Halo, and very excited about Mass Effect.  

There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation.  However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4.  If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success.  It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure.

again we are going with the arguement that these games will push the system, when we say this, then the wii and xbox will NOT get the same boost that these games are getting. Sure xbox has alot more good games then the ps3 at the moment, but it has a huge season to look forward too. So if it works for ps3, how can it not for 360 or wii?

To say that great games will only push one system is...... you get the point. I want evidence that these games will push the system, and only the ps3 system.

I do agree it will push the system more then the others will, but will it be enough to close such a huge gap?

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
HappySqurriel said:

I would just like every person who is saying the PS3 isn't selling that badly to sit back and try a mental excercise ...

Imagine that the sales were different and the PS3 was the fastest selling game console in history and just passed the XBox 360 and (on average) outsold the XBox 360 and Wii combined in weekly sales. The Wii on the other hand is selling slower than the Gamecube and is one of the slowest selling sequel consoles of all time. How much third party support could Nintendo attract or maintain for games to be released in 2008/2009? What is the likelyhood that the Wii would be able to comeback and win the generation?

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features. Generally speaking consumers do not care about these things and rarely take note of them except to justify their purchase after the fact. 2007 and 2008 will not see much in the way of Blu-Ray adoption and by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library).

Sony could change the fate of the PS3 but it would require leadership and a willingness to save the console at all costs; if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3 to a more normal level ($300/$400) and buy exclusive games for 2008/2009 they would stand a chance at catching up to the Wii in 2011/2012 ... I don't expect to see this happening.

Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku) and it has a huge lineup - much of it third-party exclusive - that hits in about 6 months.  Considering that the PS3 with very few exclusive games worth owning is (currently) selling better than the 360 even after the counter-price-cut, I think it is very reasonable to believe that it may well outsell the 360 by a LOT in 2008.  Nowhere close to Wii sales, of course, but still, I believe it could very possibly pass the 360 WW sales total by 2010. 

I am NOT a PS3 fanboy, by the way -- and I'm not accusing anyone of labeling me as such; I just want to forestall it.  I just think that the doom and gloom predictions are heavily based on comparing it to the PS2 and not comparing it to what is necessary for it to become a successful console in its own right -- more successful, perhaps, than the 360.  And I don't hate the 360, either -- I am very anxious to finish the story begun in Halo, and very excited about Mass Effect.  

There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation.  However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4.  If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success.  It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure.

finally someone talking some sense.. i told you it wasnt hopeless URNOTE... i agree with everything you said just about even the fanboy stuff.. i think people need to just chill with the doom and gloom stuff....its obvious the ps3 nor 360 is going the dreamcast route since they are selling at 3 times the rate..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

@ Soriku

I think Sony should aim for the 1st spot, that's not going to happen this year and probably not in 2008. But after the PS2 is retired and the PS3 gets cost reduced enough IMO anything's possible. We are still so very early into this generation, there are more people playing on GameCube than on Wiis, there are more people playing on XBoxs than there are people using XBox 360, in June 2007 well more people were playing on PS2s (US, according to NPD) than all these other platforms combined.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@witeout.. were is the weekly sales for ps3 decreasing?

mM

I agree with MikeB. Sony should try their best to finish this generation at the number one spot, but the chances of that happening are slim to none considering the good start the Wii is having and the bad start the Playstation 3 is having. But anything could happen...

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

Around the Network

For those who doubt the PS3 performing worse than the Gamecube:

Without data for the "Total Others" region for the Gamecube, the PS3 has only sold only slightly better on a worldwide basis than the Gamecube ( http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=GC&reg3=Total+Other&align=1 ); the Gamecube sold noticeably better in Japan and at a similar rate in North America. It is likely that more than enough systems were sold in Europe and Australia that the Gamecube is ahead by quite a bit.

leo-j said:
@witeout.. were is the weekly sales for ps3 decreasing?

On the contrary, 360 sales increased.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

MikeB said:
@ Soriku

I think Sony should aim for the 1st spot, that's not going to happen this year and probably not in 2008. But after the PS2 is retired and the PS3 gets cost reduced enough IMO anything's possible. We are still so very early into this generation, there are more people playing on GameCube than on Wiis, there are more people playing on XBoxs than there are people using XBox 360, in June 2007 well more people were playing on PS2s (US, according to NPD) than all these other platforms combined.

That's true that only a fraction of the people from last gen has switched but how you described it is not how things work.  Funny that the same PS3 fans are arguing that Blu-ray has won when almost everyone is still watching DVD.  The thing is that the PS3 fans are right in this case because once one side gets a much bigger market share, then the 3rd party support is decided and there is just no going back even if it's only a few percent of the entire market. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm confused at that chart because apparently we can see the gamecube others data but it won't show it if we do gamecube all regions?

well here's the comparison for right now:
PS3: 4.318 million
Gamecube: 3,937,000(JPN+USA)+1,426,000(OTHERS)=5,363,000

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Final-Fan said:

Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku)

Well vgchartz compare consols seems to work pretty badly for now but after some tries I get that PS3 actualy is around 300k behind GC in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=GC&reg3=Japan&align=1

American charts doesn't want to load for me...

EDIT:

Seems like everyone else has answered the FUD from FInal-fan.

So when that is done can we agree on that PS3 isn't selling very well? 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!