By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did the Gamecube fail???

Lack of piracy support killed the GC.

Around the Network
Alterego-X said:
DaGreatestHope said:
No one knows.

Nintendo is marketing the Wii in the same vein as the Gamecube with it only plays video games philosphy and reinforced family gaming fun. Yet the Wii is a ravaging sucess and the Cube had moderate success.

Finally A Post That Makes Sense.

Everyone else's theory would also mean that the Wii should fail.

What?

Accessiblity, controls, white good, pick-up-and-play prioritized over immersive experiences, full back catalogue of games and the company generally following the disruption and blue ocean strategys. The Wii is a completely different story to the Gamecube.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
Alterego-X said:
DaGreatestHope said:
No one knows.

Nintendo is marketing the Wii in the same vein as the Gamecube with it only plays video games philosphy and reinforced family gaming fun. Yet the Wii is a ravaging sucess and the Cube had moderate success.

What?

Accessiblity, controls, white good, pick-up-and-play prioritized over immersive experiences, full back catalogue of games and the company generally following the disruption and blue ocean strategys. The Wii is a completely different story to the Gamecube.

Obviously, they are not the same, the Wii has extra advantages. 

But they are also stating, that the lack of 3rd party support, the lack of DVD support, and the "kiddieness"(lack of "hardcoreness"), are reasons for a console to fail, while in this generation, it is obvious that neithr DVD, nor Blu Ray playability doesn't mean any help at all, the Wii is successful without 3rd parties, so it causes only a minor disadvantage, and the kiddieness is probably even an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Alterego-X said:
DaGreatestHope said:
No one knows.

Well, I respectfully disagree. What about the purple console at launch, and the red, green, yellow, etc buttons on the controller? A lot of people mentioned it. I think that's one of the main reasons. People looked at it as if it was a toy. Now, the glossy white design of the Wii is much more attractive for everyone. It may seem as irrelevant for most of us, but in a mass market context, it makes all difference.

Awesome trailer for the new Ganbare Goemon game, to be released in March, 2009 for... Well, it's a Pachinko machine with a display. Oh, God.

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII*:  Now it's gonna happen!!! Thank you so much Nintendo.

RolStoppable said:
Ganbare_Goemon said:
Alterego-X said:

Well, I respectfully disagree. What about the purple console at launch, and the red, green, yellow, etc buttons on the controller? A lot of people mentioned it. I think that's one of the main reasons. People looked at it as if it was a toy. Now, the glossy white design of the Wii is much more attractive for everyone. It may seem as irrelevant for most of us, but in a mass market context, it makes all difference.

The color/kiddy theory is very interesting when you think about it. After all the Gamecube wasn't available in black at launch and the Xbox didn't have yellow, red, blue and green buttons on its controller, that's why Microsoft's console was seen as "mature".

In all seriousness, you are at least correct in that the Wii's white color is a better choice than purple and even black. White is absolutely neutral.

Lastly, I envy Alterego-X for his newcomer status. I am not able to fool so many people with some simple lines of sarcasm anymore.

Yes, you're right. I forgot about the colored buttons on the original Xbox controller. But hey, maybe that's the reason why it failed too?

Awesome trailer for the new Ganbare Goemon game, to be released in March, 2009 for... Well, it's a Pachinko machine with a display. Oh, God.

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII*:  Now it's gonna happen!!! Thank you so much Nintendo.

Around the Network

gamecube didnt actually fail.

as far as gamecube purchasers are concerned it provided great games thats what matters most.

its true GC didnt take off commercially as it could have done but thats the way it goes sometimes.

the lack of dvd drive was one factor as many key titles could not have been done on gamecube.

besides i loved my gamecube, phantasy star online episodes 1&2 was an amazing game

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

The lack of third party support. The PS2 had a year or so head start and was well established and Sony advertised PS2 a lot more than Nintendo advertised the Game Cube.

The Game Cube being a purple box and looking like a school lunch box did not help sell the Game Cube. The design and purple colour of the Game Cube was dreadful.

RolStoppable said:
Ganbare_Goemon said:
RolStoppable said:

The color/kiddy theory is very interesting when you think about it. After all the Gamecube wasn't available in black at launch and the Xbox didn't have yellow, red, blue and green buttons on its controller, that's why Microsoft's console was seen as "mature".

In all seriousness, you are at least correct in that the Wii's white color is a better choice than purple and even black. White is absolutely neutral.

Lastly, I envy Alterego-X for his newcomer status. I am not able to fool so many people with some simple lines of sarcasm anymore.

Yes, you're right. I forgot about the colored buttons on the original Xbox controller. But hey, maybe that's the reason why it failed too?

That must be it. The Dreamcast also had its face buttons colored that way and look how that ended for Sega. Colored buttons seem to lead consoles on the road of failure, except when they get at least five Goemon games.

I was joking about the Xbox controller. Xbox was never considered to be a "kiddy console". And I know you're joking too. Well, maybe not. You see, I don't trust people with Kim Possible avatars.

Alterego-X said:
Demotruk said:
Alterego-X said:
DaGreatestHope said:
No one knows.

What?

Obviously, they are not the same, the Wii has extra advantages. 

But they are also stating, that the lack of 3rd party support, the lack of DVD support, and the "kiddieness"(lack of "hardcoreness"), are reasons for a console to fail, while in this generation, it is obvious that neithr DVD, nor Blu Ray playability doesn't mean any help at all, the Wii is successful without 3rd parties, so it causes only a minor disadvantage, and the kiddieness is probably even an advantage, not a disadvantage.

That's not what they're saying. The game cube had little to no strengths that went beyond what the PS2/XBox could do. In that respect, the weaknesses(especially third party support, which translates directly to games) become relevant. Wii only overcomes these weaknesses because it's strengths are so much more important to customers than those particular weaknesses.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Games, Games, Games.