By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did the Gamecube fail???

GamingChartzFTW said:
celine said:

(...) 

I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube.

(...) 

..does not mean what you think it means. :D
The context is as follows. Each and every generation is a different scenario with new conditions
and new possibilities in terms of potentials sales.
That is what Iwata's meant. That is the context at hand.

Wii would indeed be a failure if it could not sell far more than GameCube did.

After considering the scenario and the conditions Nintendo stated in mid 2002 how they expected to sell 50 million gamecubes gloablly by March 2005. 

http://www.gamersmark.com/news/2002/06/1/1497/

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

Demotruk said:
GamingChartz, will you at least concede the point that it's not just about profitability, but it's about how successful the console should aim to be, as illustrated by Iwata's comments? If Wii sold only as well as gamecube, it probably still would have been profitable, and Nintendo would be afloat today just as at the end of the last generation.

It's called company rhetorics. It often has no basis in reality. Unfortunately we gamers are obsessed with statements like that. Trust me. That is not how directors communicate in the boardroom. Nintendo is a very conservative company. They know how to manage risk. We should all learn how to separate media outbursts aimed at the gaming press from the more realistic analyzes and calculations they do behind the scenes (Gunpei Yokoi's Virtual Boy semented Nintendo's efforts). They're not naive. However they have an obligation in building up high expectations among the press and their core fanbase.

Expectations expectations.

Soriku said:
Pristine20 said:
not everyone is in love with Ninty's first party offerings. 3rd party support was abysmal.

Abysmal? Impossible. It had ToS.

That's one of the 4 games i kept after i sold the GC (and later i bought more to play in a friend's, now i play them on the Wii)... But that doesn't mean that the GC 3rd party support was not abysmal, i mean, ToS, SoA and some other cannot match the PS2 RPG library, i mean, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, the Persona's, DQ8, FF10, the Dark Cloud's, Xenosaga's, Suikoden's, Monster Hunter, Tales of Destiny-Rebirth-Legendia-Abyss... And that's only the surface...

I have to disagree with your ideas about business GamingChartz. Successful businesses care about more than just the bottom line(although successful investors may care about just that + share price). They also have to care about making customers, and expanding the business. If you're making money but your business is contracting/stagnating, then it's not a successful business unless the contraction was anticipated and accepted.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Not a ton of good 3rd party games and even the games by Nintendo didn't impress me much.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
I have to disagree with your mine? ideas about business GamingChartz. Successful businesses care about more than just the bottom line(although successful investors may care about just that + share price). They also have to care about making customers, and expanding the business. If you're making money but your business is contracting/stagnating, then it's not a successful business unless the contraction was anticipated and accepted.

We agree.
btw..You sound alot like my father. His most recent company investment faced him with similar problems.
He had to revamp the whole company (distribution and HQ) before he could make them profitable again.

poor third party support... the only factor. PS2 win because they have that even if the system was clearly week

Final-Fan said:
Strategyking92 said:
No support for DVD, Bad third party support (especially later) and I think people just wanted to stick with ps2 at the time. Oh, and the controller was a fugly monstrosity.

I thought it was k though.

No, no, we're talking about the GAMECUBE, not the Xbox. 

Well, I never had a "duke" controller. Just a couple controller-s ones. And the controller-s was just below ps2.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

bardicverse said:
Peterisyum said:
god i hate that nintendo kiddy stuff. It makes me very very angry. MAinly because it doesn't make any sence. It would be like calling puppy's kiddy just because there cute or kid like them.

You have Sony to thank for that. With the N64 promoting Pokemon games, Sony pointed out that little kids have Nintendo systems, while the mature crowd owns a PS2. Target that idea to every teenager who wishes they were older/more respected, and you have an avalanche. The GameCube was affected by the remnants of this Sony mudslinging, as they tried to make the GC seem more of a hardcore system with the Resident Evil series, Eternal Darkness and those type of games. Problem is, teenagers are stubborn creatures that love to be negative, so once a negative thought is in their head, it sticks for a long time.

Now Im not sure about Mudslinging but it probably didnt help Nintendo get rid of that Kiddy label when they themselves said they were going to aim towards that target audience.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

When did they say that? Nintendo has maintained for years that their target demographic is everyone. This is just the first generation where they're truly succeeding at that.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.