By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did the Gamecube fail???

flagship said:

Because the N64 lost, so when the next generation came around gamers were quite willing to jump from the PS1 to PS2, especially considering the year head start the PS2 had. Also the GC had a terrible controller, if you walked into a retailer and tried to play a game doing anything other than moving the joystick and hitting A was made exceeding difficult by the poor design.

I'm surprised to see someone say that actually.  I thought that not only was it the most comfortable controller to hold ever, but that the button layout was also extremely adept as well.  Loved it.

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:
flagship said:

Because the N64 lost, so when the next generation came around gamers were quite willing to jump from the PS1 to PS2, especially considering the year head start the PS2 had. Also the GC had a terrible controller, if you walked into a retailer and tried to play a game doing anything other than moving the joystick and hitting A was made exceeding difficult by the poor design.

I'm surprised to see someone say that actually.  I thought that not only was it the most comfortable controller to hold ever, but that the button layout was also extremely adept as well.  Loved it.

My girlfriend game me that Thrustmaster T-NW, wich I use to play Gamecube games wirelessly on Wii. One thing that makes me sometimes use my old traditional GC controller is the PS2-like button layout on the T-NW. The button layout on the Gamecube controller is simply amazing, makes it very confortable.

Those who don't like it, probably only looked at it.

Awesome trailer for the new Ganbare Goemon game, to be released in March, 2009 for... Well, it's a Pachinko machine with a display. Oh, God.

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII*:  Now it's gonna happen!!! Thank you so much Nintendo.

it didn't

It did not fail my friend.

A poor software lineup (especially third-party) and late launch held back the Gamecube. A limited disc format and non-existant online offerings didn't help.

Around the Network

Lack of third-party support
No Mario game at launch
Kiddy Image
Lack of DVD Playback
Sony's Momentum & Exclusives
Addition of a third competitor into market who could afford to bleed billions
Lack of Halo or GTA type game

Still, it was profitable and thats all that mattered. Especially as Nintendo is kicking ass & taking names again.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

i disagree that the gamecube failed. it sold 8 million units domestically, more units than its predecessor the n64, and nintendo profited financially. it recovered a bit of the marketshare the n64 lost. true, it did not reestablish nintendo's dominance, but it was by no means a failure. that it sold less than its competitors has more to do with, imo, stupid so-called "hardcore" gamers who wouldn't know a hardcore game if it swam up and bit them in the ass.  these people chose the ps2 or xbox because, at the time, the industry was trying to appeal to the same ignorant, heterocentric 18-36 y.o. demographic that all entetainment industries (movies, television, music, etc.) bend over backwards to appease. unless there was gratuitous violence and/or jiggling digitized tits, (rumble roses, doa volleyball, etc.), it was "kiddie stuff" or "not hardcore". now, don't get me wrong... i love violent games, but if violence, blood, sex, and adult subject matter is not critical to the story, what's the point? long way of saying that at the time games like GTA were all the rage, and nintendo's refusal to carry the industry's best-selling title gave it a "soft" image. that, and there was one large flaw on nintendo's part: lack of online play.  online was really hitting its stride and nintendo was wrong not to pick up on it. 

today, the wii has become the dominant console, and nintendo has done little different. the difference is that now it is the casual gamer, women, kids, and older fans who are being appealed to industry-wide, and wii supports online play.  the shame is that the gc really was the superior system of last generation.  it was lightweight, compact, cool-looking, inexpensive, had great graphics and sound, and a truly intuitive, comfortable, versatile controller.  but most of all... KILLER GAMES, both first and third party.  i challenge anyone to surpass a lineup which includes legend of zelda: twilight princess, loz: the windwaker, eternal darkness: sanity's requiem, resident evil and resident evil 4 (an exclusive at the time), super smash brothers melee, super mario sunshine, metroid prime 1 &2, pikmin 1&2, metal gear solid, wwe day of reckoning 1&2, soul calibur 2, mortal kombat deadly alliance, mk deception, mariokart double dash, star wars rogue leader, the prince of persia series, viewtiful joe (also exclusive at the time), the need for speed series, and paper mario.  if these are not the definition of "hardcore", if they are not the best of the best of multiple genres, then i guess i just don't know what a real gamer, or a real game system, is anymore.

Got me there, Gamecube is one of the most underrated consoles, along with the Dreamcast.

gamecube was a good system, if Nintendo made a realistic Zelda game instead of that fucking wind waker the sales would be around 32 million

vonboy said:
they were only making games for their core audience, and over the years, that core was shrinking due to people moving on to different systems, or just outright stopping playing video game all together.

This.