By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why did the Gamecube fail???

Because it was purple.

Well that and it tried to relate only to Hardcore Nintendo fans... likely thinking they'd "come back" once they went to disc.

Around the Network

Nintendo was trying to keep their fans, but it didn't understand that their fans had become so by and large through entering gaming via Nintendo.

So the solution of getting more fans, or having them return was avoiding a sole focus on what the old fans really wanted, which was more sophistication, and instead opening the gateways for new generations of gamers. The Gamecube is just another step on a decline curve that was a long time problem with the way Nintendo was doing business.

I don't think the GameCube failed, it sold well amongst its target audience (kids).

If you mean why wouldn't someone like me buy the console, IMO it was ugly to begin with, feels too much like a kid's console, not enough mature orientated content nor additional features, even if you think the console was more powerful than a PS2 it still provided weak technical specifications and IMO Mario Sunshine sucks compared to Mario64.

Pricing usually is less of a factor to me, but if I had kids I may have bought them a GameCube.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

poor third-party

no GTA, no kingdom hearts, dragon quest, FF and so many others : (

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

The GC was not the success that the PS2 was, however that doesn't mean it failed.

DVD player helped PS2, but lack of DVD didn't hurt the GC that much. What did hurt it, was the tiny discs. It made it unpractical to put games with lots of content on the GC, and it's those massive games that sell systems...

Around the Network

I believe that the original Xbox is why the gamecube was a failure, it came out as the "superior" console at and around the same time the gamecube came out. Coming out with inferior hardware in the shadow of the Xbox kind of made the gamecube seem "weak". The PS2 just was in place first and made both suffer the worst for it (superior support from all third parties, etc). But all in all the Xbox really came in and gave the gamecube a rude awakening, first party games are nice, but if you do not have third party support to help ease your patrons during the dry spells......then why buy a cube when you can get the xbox or the King of last generation....the PS2!

And thinking about it, the foundating GameCube tech still lives on within the Wii which sold very well. The Wii is many ways a slimline GameCube+ together with a new control scheme.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

to kiddy for the hard core except the nintendo die hards, and to hardcore for the casuals.

MikeB said:

And thinking about it, the foundating GameCube tech still lives on within the Wii which sold very well. The Wii is many ways a slimline GameCube+ together with a new control scheme.

ironically the wiimote was suppose to be an Add-on for the gamecube, till they decided to put it on hold since the NGC install base was low and push it from the start in the next cycle of consoles...worked wonders.

So would could say that the wii and it's wiimote are last gen sold at a profit this gen...if you wanna get technical about that is...just saying.

there was many reasons.

GC was the last system realsed of the ant.. generation

The others systems have DVD

The PS2 and the Xbox were too easy to piracy.

There was not a good marketing or advertisement. PS2 made a strong campaign of his sytem.

Not support from 3rd parties.

Ninty Games are so good but that was the age for teens, and teens prefer, bullets and blood than colours and happy music.