By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Question for Wii Owners

i have owned every Nintendo console apart from the GB and VB, i was too young to buy my own GB or i would have, but at the time i only got games at birthdays and so on, so the NES was the only system i could afford to run.

The first real game i played on it was SMB3, which pretty much sold me into the nintendo camp instantly, i litterally lived that game for months. As soon as i saw a japanese superfamicom with Super Mario World there was no question to if i bought one, i HAD to have the game.

Since then ive always been a Nintendo fan, but i love japanese games in general, im not a fan of tony hawks, colin mcrae or need for speeds, so my gaming habbits have always been between nintendo, sega and reluctantly sony and upto the GC it was always heavily sided towards Nintendo, almost every week we (me and 3 mates + beer) played the N64 in 4 player untill we fell asleep on the floor, nothing has never matched those days for multiplayer fun, having said that, track and field and micromachines were favourites on the PS1 at that time.

I would say that the PS2 won last gen (ignoring the obvious sales lead) on games, even tho nintnedo produced some amazing games for it, it cannot compete with the sheer range on the PS2.

I imported an N64 from japan just to play Mario 64, it amazes me to admit this, but i paid just over 400 pounds for the pleasure.

Even I, an avid nintendo fan didnt pick up a cube at launch tho, i got one second hand about 6 months later when sunshine was released, I kne wi would have one but there was no rush after its somewhat lacklustre release games.

The Wii however was something i HAD to own at launch, it was just too exciting to have to read about without playing it myself, it had all the excitement that came with Mario 64 and Super mario world from my youth, somehting i never thought id get excited about in quite the same way again.

I dont think its success at the moment has much to do with the Nintendo hardcore, alot of people were stung by the N64 and Cube and were probably happy with their playstations from now on and i think if nintendo had stuck to the tradition of more power / minor revised controls those people would have stayed there.

Expanding the market in the way they have was the best thing they could have done and something i dont think anyone else would/could have done, even if they had thought of such an idea. Nintendo are a family company and finally theyre back putting gaming into a family atmosphere, just how console gaming should be in my mind.
I dont want to be locked up in a room with just me and my console, and nor would i want my kids doing the same, Having a wii in the living room is fast becoming a way of life for the average family household, just as nintendos masterplan was written to do.

Sony and MS may be trying to do the same with their 'entertainment hub' concept, but the average family either doesnt want that, or just doesnt know what it is.

Around the Network

Gameboy, SNES, N64, Playstation, Gameboy color, PS2, Gamecube, GBA SP, Xbox, DS lite, Wii in that order.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

I OWNED Atari 2600, Nes, Snes, Genesis, Gameboy, PS, N64, DC, PS2, Xbox, GC, Xbox 360 and now a Wii.

The systems i've owned in order of purchase:

And yes... I bought my Wii cause it's from Nintendo... And for the Nintendo games. Not because of the 'blue ocean casual stuff'... I actually hate the casual shit!

But... I'm getting of-topic so here's the list:

Gameboy pocket.

Gameboy color.

Nintendo 64.

Nintendo Gamecube.

DS(phat).

Nintendo Wii.

DSlite.

THE NETHERLANDS

Here's the order in which I purchased my game systems:

Odyssey, Pong 3 in 1, Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, N64, Gamecube, Wii.

The PS1 made me want to go to school for CG. I felt let down by a lot of PS2 titles, they were more hype then worth playing (with some exceptions like God of War and Klonoa, the first Jak and Daxter, Sly 1,2,3 etc.) The Gamecube was purchased on a whim (found a refurb for 129$ which had Sunshine and a mem card in Zellers when the system with no game was going for 220$ Canadian). The Wii has been my second fav. game console purchase, SNES being my most fav.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Fine. In order:

NES,SNES,N64,PS2,Wii

+All Nintendo Handhelds.

The wii is the first video game console I have owned since the SNES...

Main Platform Last Gen: PS2
GC: No
64: Yes, but only played WaveRace and Bond, mostly played PS1

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

super_etecoon said:
Judging by the poll question that's been up for the last week, quite a bit of forumites are Wii owners. It's been making me wonder what happened between this and last generation. Has Nintendo really hit the blue ocean, or are these sales just the fanboys who would have bought a Gamecube 2, as long as it had Zelda, Mario or Metroid on it? So I'm doing a little survey here of Vgchartz members who own Wii consoles. What was your main gaming platform last generation? Did you own a Gamecube? What about an N64? Please, this is a poll for Wii owners only. No flaming, no trolling.

PS2.  Also had a gamecube, and yeah, N64 (Also PS1.)    I picked PS2 in the poll myself.

I'll buy a PS3 in the future.  Likely not a 360 because i'll be living with someone who already owns one.

am i the only person who got a saturn?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X