By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Question for Wii Owners

Judging by the poll question that's been up for the last week, quite a bit of forumites are Wii owners. It's been making me wonder what happened between this and last generation. Has Nintendo really hit the blue ocean, or are these sales just the fanboys who would have bought a Gamecube 2, as long as it had Zelda, Mario or Metroid on it? So I'm doing a little survey here of Vgchartz members who own Wii consoles. What was your main gaming platform last generation? Did you own a Gamecube? What about an N64? Please, this is a poll for Wii owners only. No flaming, no trolling.

Around the Network

I owned a Nintendo 64, PS1, Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and know I have a Wii.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I owned all four last generation, including Dreamcast. I owned an N64 and a PS1, but not a Saturn.

I owned both a GC and N64.

My main platform was PS2.

I don't know why the Wii would be the most popular system. It has some good games so far, but it's game library pails in comparison to some other consoles, such as the DS and PS2. It's simply idiotic.

The main reason I bought a Wii was for the proven killer apps and established franchises. I really couldn't care less about the controller. Also, I was planning to buy Project H.A.M.M.E.R, but so much for that.

I had only a PS2 last gen and a N64 before that. I am a poor gamer, I could not afford more than one console.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network

I bought them in exactly this order NES, SNES, genesis, n64, PS1, saturn, dreamcast, gamecube, PS2, Wii.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Last generation I owned a PS2 and then a GC, and then went on to become a PC gamer. I've spent the last 2 years or so mainly as a pretty hardcore PC gamer and the Wii is without a doubt a new and wonderful experience having played games since I was 4.

I've shown the Wii to my whole family now, my mother and father who hasn't played a single game since we used to play beat-em-ups on the SNES ages ago. From the very first moment you hold the Wiimote and play any of the games on Wii Sports, you just 'know' how amazing the Wii can be for videogames.

The Wii so far has definitely been a console for the casuals, party games such as Wii Sports and Rayman never get old when you have friends around the place. Towards the end of this year, the Wii is very much so going to be a console for both casual and hardcore gamers.

Admittedly, I own only 6 titles, and have spent alot of my time more on Virtual Console then anything. I would be the first to hold my hand up and say I'm not happy with the attitude of third parties who underestimated the console, however slowly but surely that seems to be getting remedied.

I'm extremely pleased with my Wii and I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, and hardcore not in terms of elitism or extremist views, but hardcore in terms of playing games purely for what they should be: fun and engaging. In that respect, the Wii is a winner.

My main gaming platform was the Game Boy Advance. I did not own a Game Cube. I did have a N64.

I own a WII, planning to buy a PS3. From last generation I own a Gamecube and a PS2, before that a N64 and a PS. So basically multi platform. I played more on the N64 than on the PS, but played a whole lot more on the PS2 than I did on the Gamecube. Now of course on the WII, but I don't know how that will look like as soon as the PS3 arrives.

Edit: Also, I own almost all Nintendo handhelds, including the DS and own a PSP as well ;) Plus a Super Famicom = SNES. I don't have a NES, never have.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

My console history is NES-ten years of PC-GC-Wii-Xbox.

I doubt much of the new gamers the Wii has been attracting are very active on gaming forums, nor are they going to be. The word of mouth hasn't gotten too far yet anyway, so I'd expect most Wii owners right now to be people who've been gaming for a long time and want to get the next part of Nintendo's classic franchises.