By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Far Have The Playstation 3's Graphics Progressed Since Its Launch

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7158/killzone4ow0.jpg 

Remember there are some limitations which may never be overcome.

Check out the low-res effects from KZ2 due to the lack of memory bandwidth etc. (Click link to get better idea)

Tease.

Around the Network

Yes, every console's graphics improve over time. I don't see why the PS3 should be an exception.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

It's nice to see how games have progressed since launch but I'm more curious about how much further uncharted 2, heavy rain, god of war 3 and GT5 can push the ps3, and then if anything in the future can actually top those games lol

Look at the difference between Dynasty Warriors 2 and Dynasty Warriors 5 on the PS2. If they can make that much of an improvement on the PS3 then I'd say they are doing well.

Good to see this site is still going 

Kantor said:
Yes, every console's graphics improve over time. I don't see why the PS3 should be an exception.

I totally agree!

If anything I would say the 360 and Wii have improved a lot more since release than the PS3, the only thing on PS3 that looks amazing (which is out to buy right now) is KZ2, if it wasn't for this title I wouldn't say the system improved that much at all since it was released and I own a PS3 (and games! amazing I know!) so not being a fanboy about it,

And half of those comparisons the OP posted also apply to the 360 with games such as Fifa 07/09, Soul Calibur 4/Virtual Fighter 5, these are on the 360 and look/run the same (or slightly better) on the 360, all sequels no matter what console they are on should ALWAYS look better, if they don't there is a serious problem somewhere!

I personally think if someone made a Wii and 360 thread showing the improvements made since release it would be a lot more impressive than this PS3 thread, just my view so don't shoot me!

Around the Network

fact is guys that this comparison doesn't make much sense! as someone else noted before, the only comparison that make sense are the one taken from the games of the same franchise!
I.E.: resistence 1 should be compared to resistance 2 not killzone 2!

Besides, all the worst looking games were all 3rd party, while the better looking were all 1st or 2nd parties!

Fact is, when you go multiplatform on the same game, PS3 might look as good as 360, but the latter has always an edge on Sony's machine!
So, when a game is developed exclusively on PS3 the developers could better squeeze the machine power, but yet when the game is 3rd party falls short of the competition!
This could only means two things:

- PS3 is really hard to program (and so 3rd parties are generally in disadvantage in terms of tech support);
- PS3 as some tech limitations that cannot be overcome when the game has to be programmed for two different systems (ie: the amount of graphic memory isn't enough! remember that 360 has 512MB of shared memory, which could be split as developers would like while PS3 has 256MB of dedicated graphic memory and 256MB for the CPU).

A really interesting match would be Uncharted vs. Uncharted 2, as the first one really pushed the machine and so it should the sequel!

Tharthesos said:
A really interesting match would be Uncharted vs. Uncharted 2, as the first one really pushed the machine and so it should the sequel!

That would be a very good comparison!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
People, like me, who don't care about the PS3, and just have cynical eyes to glance at crap like this, can't tell the difference.

You probably have crap all over your eyes

i like same trolls and their shit.....

i'm joking.

PLAYSTATION®3

FKNetwork said:
Kantor said:

I totally agree!

If anything I would say the 360 and Wii have improved a lot more since release than the PS3, the only thing on PS3 that looks amazing (which is out to buy right now) is KZ2, if it wasn't for this title I wouldn't say the system improved that much at all since it was released and I own a PS3 (and games! amazing I know!) so not being a fanboy about it,

And half of those comparisons the OP posted also apply to the 360 with games such as Fifa 07/09, Soul Calibur 4/Virtual Fighter 5, these are on the 360 and look/run the same (or slightly better) on the 360, all sequels no matter what console they are on should ALWAYS look better, if they don't there is a serious problem somewhere!

I personally think if someone made a Wii and 360 thread showing the improvements made since release it would be a lot more impressive than this PS3 thread, just my view so don't shoot me!

Only because the PS3 launch titles looked so damned awesome. The Wii launch titles, in my opinion, were hideous. It's improved a lot.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective