By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What exactly are Nintendo doing right now? Dev teams analysis + Predictions

Around the Network

Oh I remember this thread! Why wasn't it stickied?

I thought I'd add a few predictions as to how Nintendo will slowly transition to their next home console.. I think a few titles are quite obvious looking at the DS -> Wii pattern and how strong a few titles actually were (New Super Mario Bros. should come earlier than it did on Wii for example). If Donkey Kong Country Returns does well then perhaps we can expect another from Retro in the launch year for the N6 but personally I'd love a brand new IP or a Mario Paintball game from them :D

Have no idea what the hook will be for the next home system so I didn't even try to imagine whether Nintendo might go with sequels to the Wii series and what they might have for launch.

I'm going to have another look again tomorrow and hopefully make some changes/add some games I haven't looked at yet.. Any input is always appreciated :)

For future Wii games, I bet we get DKCR2 from Retro and a new Pokemon Battle Revolution (for B/W) from Genius Sonority.  I think EAD's going to shift Pikmin 3 and Wii Relax to the successor system.

So with the Nintendo 3DS in stores now and E3 just around the corner I thought it was time to update the OP. I've noticed a few things and I'll go over them quickly here, feel free to take a look at the update though and provide any incite you may have.

First of all have a look at this excerpt of Nintendo's 2010 line-up;

• EAD Tokyo 1 - Jibun de Tsukubu Nintendo DS Guide
  • EAD Tokyo 2 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • SPD 1 - Metroid: Other M 
  • SPD 2 - Metal Torrent
  • SPD 2 - Endless Ocean 2: Blue World
  • SPD 3 - Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • SPD 4 - Wii Party
  • SPD 4 - Mario Sports Mix
What's interesting here is not one piece of software in 2010 came from Nintendo's EAD studios in Kyoto and that hasn't happened in quite some time. In hindsight, the launch of a new console was quite obvious however by the time we knew what the line-up was going to look like we already knew the 3DS was coming. However having absolutely no titles from Kyoto? It could provide give us a hint at when to expect Nintendo'd next home system. 
Now let us take a look at what we know of the 2011 line-up so far; 
  • EAD1 - Nintendogs & Cats
  • EAD1 - Mario Kart 3DS
  • EAD3 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • EAD3 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • EAD5 - Steel Diver
  • CSDG - Starfox 64 3D
  • SDD - Nintendo 3DS OS, GUI
  • SPD 1 - Rhythm Tengoku Wii
  • SPD 3 - Pilotwings Resort
  • Brownie Brown - Fantasy Life 3DS
  • Intelligent Systems - Paper Mario 3DS
  • Gambarion - Pandora's Tower
  • Genius Sonority - Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS
  • HAL Laboratory - Face Raiders
  • HAL Laboratory - Kirby Wii
  • HAL Laboratory - Kirby DS
  • Monster Games - Pilotwings Resort
  • Vetei Inc. - Steel Diver
From this we can see that Nintendo's internal Japanese studios have developed a total of TWO Wii titles, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. That is quite a lack of games. It's clear that the lack of titles last year was due to the development of 3DS titles and there are a number of studios that should have games announced at E3 this year.
To see which studios are due, lets take a look at them all;

EAD 1

• Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  • Nintendogs
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Nintendo DSi Sound
  • Nintendogs & Cats
In Development:
  • Mario Kart 3DS
  • Unannounced next generation Mario Kart title 
EAD 2
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Play
  • Star Fox Command (Co developed w/ Q Games)
  • Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City
  • Wii Music
  • Wii Sports Resort
In Development:
  • Animal Crossing 3DS
  • Unannounced title
EAD 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Link's Crossbow Training
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
In Development:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
EAD 4
  • Super Mario Advance
  • Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • Band Brothers
  • Yoshi Touch 'N Go
  • Big Brain Academy
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
  • Band Brothers DX
  • NPC! Pikmin
  • NPC! Pikmin 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
In development:
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Mario Bros. 3D
EAD 5
  • Wii Fit
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • Steel Diver
In Development:
  • Unannounced Title
EAD Tokyo 1
  • Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Jibun de Tsukubu Nintendo DS Guide
In Development:
  • Super Mario 3DS
EAD Tokyo 2
  • NPC! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  • Flipnote Studio
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
In Development:
  • Unannounced Title (Next Generation Mario most likely)
This list doesn't tell the whole story though. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is most likely finished, Steel Diver was probably finished around E3 last year, Skyward Sword is probably close to being finished if it hasn't been already and both Mario Kart and Animal Crossing will be finished by the end of this year. I'd expect all of these teams to start working on Nintendo's next console if the haven't started already. Now if Nintendo were to launch a next generation console in 2012 like many are expecting, they'll require launch titles, so lets take a look at the studios that can provide Wii titles, next gen titles or either one or the other depending on launch timing;
Wii titles (2011 - 2012)
EAD 2 - These guys make Animal Crossing and the Wii Series. If Wii Relax is still on the way, expect it at E3 and if the new character that Miyamoto was talking about is going to feature in a Wii title, these guys could definitely be behind it.

EAD 4 - It's almost guaranteed that Pikmin 3, unless it's switched platforms or been has cancelled, WILL be shown at E3 this year. EAD 4 are also definitely working on New Super Mario Bros. 3D as we speak.
EAD 5 - They could possibly be working on a new Wii Series title, whether it be a new Wii Fit or Wii Relax although I expect that they'll have started work on next generation titles.

EAD Tokyo 2 - Could possibly be working on a title for Wii, it's been two years since Super Mario Galaxy 2, if they are, it could be a new IP, perhaps Miyamoto's 

Next Generation (Q4 2012 - Q4 2013)
EAD 1 - I don't think we'll see a new Mario Kart title on a home console until 2014. Mario Kart 3DS will launch this holiday and unless they've already finished the game (which is a possibility although I'm not convinced) they will only have been working on the next one for two years by Q4 2013. It's a long time sure, but they'll be making their first HD game.

EAD 2 - Apart from another Animal Crossing, Nintendo haven't announced any other game coming from EAD 2 since Wii Sports Resort which launched in mid 2009. It'll have been three and a half years since Wii Sports Resort by Q4 2012 with only Animal Crossing 3DS to their name. If they're not working on a Wii title, they're definitely working on a launch title for the next generation, maybe more than one.

EAD 5 - As Steel Diver just launched I expect these guys to have moved to next generation development, they'll release an expanded audience title sometime between Q4 2012 and Q4 2013. Could be a launch title if the console launches in 2013.

EAD Tokyo 2 - They're working on Mario HD, could even be a launch title too!

No matter what, E3 this year will be very very telling. If there is still a lack of Wii titles from certain dev teams, we know that Nintendo are bringing us a new console relatively soon, even if they don't announce one. If however Nintendo announce games from many of their EAD studios, as listed above, then a 2013 launch will be looking more likely. What do you guys think?

Around the Network

Where the heck is Mario Golf Wii

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

The last few years have been really good for Nintendo, I expect this year to be no different

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Holy mother of a megaton, it seems The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is NOT being developed by EAD 4 but instead by Line Attack Heroes developers Grezzo. This is potentially huge news, Nintendo are outsourcing everything they can, a new console is most likely coming next year.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427116

puffy said:

Holy mother of a megaton, it seems The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is NOT being developed by EAD 4 but instead by Line Attack Heroes developers Grezzo. This is potentially huge news, Nintendo are outsourcing everything they can, a new console is most likely coming next year.

Grezzo any good? also When will it come next year, no sooner than October 2012 hopefully.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
puffy said:

Grezzo any good? also When will it come next year, no sooner than October 2012 hopefully.

Nah I'd imagine November, Nintendo delays things as much as possible usually