By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will a movie based off of a videogame ever reach Dark Knight status

Some comic book movies are up with some of the best movies of all time, including Batman Begins, Spiderman, and The Dark Knight. The best videogame movie to ever come out so far is Resident Evil (in my opinion). Can a movie off of a videogame ever be awesome and if yes, when?

Around the Network

probaly not. there really havent been any movies based off of games in general, and there havent been any great movies based off games.

what do we have... resident evil... we're getting lost planet, there was supposed to be a halo movie like 100 years ago, max pain which i heard sucked, hitman which i heard sucked, doom which i never saw, uh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Comic book movies are all shit imo. It's nothing more than mainstream entertainment with little brains for the middle/lower class audiences.

It'll be a long time. First they have to think of it as more than an easy way to cash in on an existing IP, then they have to find one that is transferable. Comics are already in story format, games are there mostly to be interacted with. Unless the subject is something like MGS where story is king, it can't happen, and even then the talents involved need to understand both the original subject matter and film. When the mainstays of the industry are as old as the Batmans and Spidermans of the world, then it may happen.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

drboot said:
Comic book movies are all shit imo. It's nothing more than mainstream entertainment with little brains for the middle/lower class audiences.

V for Vendetta?

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

Spider-man is not one of the best movies of all time.

And as long as they keep ignoring the source material, no. If they start thinking "Hey, if we're going to make a movie based off of this, maybe we should actually make it atleast slightly similar to it" then yeah, maybe.

Silent Hill is pretty good. same writer as Pulp Fiction

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

wii fit the movie. although it has poor speical effects it allows for a whole new level of viewe immersion as motion sensing cameras detect the movements of the audience which can completely change the plot.

itll have bigger legs than sex in the city

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Hey, Mortal Kombat (the first one) rocked hard!

In all seriousness, what someone needs to do to make a good movie is take the plot of a well-storied, interesting series and transform it into a script that maintains the main themes but it more suited for a movie. Mortal Kombat is really the only movie I can think of that did this well.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

the first tomb raider film was very good.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?