By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will a movie based off of a videogame ever reach Dark Knight status

okr said:
@VonShigsy:
I assume many people don't even know that From Hell was based on a comic and that it was created by the same guy who wrote V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

On topic:
I can't answer this as I haven't seen The Dark Knight and only two movies based on a video game (Tomb Raider). All I know is that most movies based on comics I saw were somewhat disappointing in comparison to the original (including From Hell and V for Vendetta, though the latter one was at least half-decent).

Yes, i didn't throw Alan's Moore name, because i was unsure how many would know him. V from Vendetta was decent but it was very different from the comic. I enjoyed From Hell very much though. Most accurate comic book adaptions are Sin City and 300 since they are frame by frame recreated in many scenes.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter were the best two video game movies ever You can't deny the over the top fighting action was awesome

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:

Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter were the best two video game movies ever You can't deny the over the top fighting action was awesome

"The day Bison graced your village with his presence was the most important of your life. But to me, it was wednesday."

VonShigsy said:
okr said:
@VonShigsy:
I assume many people don't even know that From Hell was based on a comic and that it was created by the same guy who wrote V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

On topic:
I can't answer this as I haven't seen The Dark Knight and only two movies based on a video game (Tomb Raider). All I know is that most movies based on comics I saw were somewhat disappointing in comparison to the original (including From Hell and V for Vendetta, though the latter one was at least half-decent).

Yes, i didn't throw Alan's Moore name, because i was unsure how many would know him. V from Vendetta was decent but it was very different from the comic. I enjoyed From Hell very much though. Most accurate comic book adaptions are Sin City and 300 since they are frame by frame recreated in many scenes.

At least some people on this forum know Alan Moore's works, we had a Watchmen thread some weeks ago.

As for the bolded part: Is frame by frame recreation a good thing or isn't it the biggest problem of all movies based on comics? On the one hand devoted fans of the original expect accuracy from the movie, but on the other hand accuracy can make the movie redundant.

okr said:
VonShigsy said:
okr said:
@VonShigsy:

On topic:

At least some people on this forum know Alan Moore's works, we had a Watchmen thread some weeks ago.

As for the bolded part: Is frame by frame recreation a good thing or isn't it the biggest problem of all movies based on comics? On the one hand devoted fans of the original expect accuracy from the movie, but on the other hand accuracy can make the movie redundant.

I'm sorry, but can you direct me to a movie that was comparible frame by frame as 300, Sin City and perhaps the watchmen? All other comic movies just took the main character and evolved an original story around them with some ties to the comics or sometimes, no connection at all. Since people expect books to be presented to the big screen flawlessly (LOTR, Harry Potter didn't have directional freedom, their plot was pretty much linear to follow) why would Graphic novels be different?

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat the movie was something very special

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

KylieDog said:
The Dark Knight was terrible.

It was a guy in a Batman suit against a random psychopath calling himself The Joker.

However neither Batman nor the Joker managed to make an appearance.

As for games turned movies, the only one that stayed true to source and still ended up ok was Tomb Raider.

There have been a couple of enjoyable movies based on games but most stray from source heavily, examples Mortal Kombat, Doom or the Resident Evil movies.

It will be interesting to see how the Prince fo Persia movie turns out seeing as how the latest game bombed.

WTF!?!

Dark Knight was terrible, yet Tomb Raider, Doom, and Resident Evil were ok?  I would rather watch the directors shitting in a bucket for 2 hours than watch any of those 3 movies ever again.

The Dark Knight was terrible.

It was a guy in a Batman suit against a random psychopath calling himself The Joker.

However neither Batman nor the Joker managed to make an appearance.

As for games turned movies, the only one that stayed true to source and still ended up ok was Tomb Raider.

There have been a couple of enjoyable movies based on games but most stray from source heavily, examples Mortal Kombat, Doom or the Resident Evil movies.

It will be interesting to see how the Prince fo Persia movie turns out seeing as how the latest game bombed.

a halo movie would probably be able to pull that off

Yeah, Mortal Kombat remains the only Videogame movie to really do it right.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.