By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will a movie based off of a videogame ever reach Dark Knight status

Paperdiego said:
tomb raider movies were awesome.. cant wait for the third
resident evil trilogy was pretty awesomce.. cant wait for the fourth.

and a zelda movie/trilogy ala lord of the rings, has potential but i doubt nintendo would ever let it come to the silver screen

same here

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
JaggedSac said:
KylieDog said:
The Dark Knight was terrible.

It was a guy in a Batman suit against a random psychopath calling himself The Joker.

However neither Batman nor the Joker managed to make an appearance.

As for games turned movies, the only one that stayed true to source and still ended up ok was Tomb Raider.

There have been a couple of enjoyable movies based on games but most stray from source heavily, examples Mortal Kombat, Doom or the Resident Evil movies.

It will be interesting to see how the Prince fo Persia movie turns out seeing as how the latest game bombed.

WTF!?!

Dark Knight was terrible, yet Tomb Raider, Doom, and Resident Evil were ok?  I would rather watch the directors shitting in a bucket for 2 hours than watch any of those 3 movies ever again.

I'm talking in terms of enjoyment/mass appeal at the box office.  I personally think the RE movies are complete crap.

There was nothing wrong with Tomb Raider.

So you thought that Tomb Raider, Doom and Resident Evil were more enjoyable than the Dark Knight and/or were more successful commercially?

Staying close to the source material isn't a qualifying trait for quality nor is it redeemable compensation.  Besides, there are so many different variations and iterations of Batman lore for there to be one 'definitive' version anyway.

You casually ignore all other facets involved in the production process which are inherent in defining quality.  From cinematography, acting, direction, music, effects and script the Dark Knight excels head and shoulders above your examples.  Even the catering was better in the Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight was a huge letdown for me. Talk about boring. Definitely one of the most overhyped films of recent memory.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
frictionini said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Spider-man is not one of the best movies of all time.

And as long as they keep ignoring the source material, no. If they start thinking "Hey, if we're going to make a movie based off of this, maybe we should actually make it atleast slightly similar to it" then yeah, maybe.

actually they based their movies on the ultimate marvel universe storyline, although not 100% of it.

Well, if that's the case, I have to say-- And I didn't think this was possible-- They're doing an even worse job at it.

There's no way the movies are based off of Ultimate when they're so different from them.

not to mention Ultimate sucked to begin with IMO...

Phoenix_Wiight said:
probaly not. there really havent been any movies based off of games in general, and there havent been any great movies based off games.

what do we have... resident evil... we're getting lost planet, there was supposed to be a halo movie like 100 years ago, max pain which i heard sucked, hitman which i heard sucked, doom which i never saw, uh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Hitman didn't suck at all.. it was actually a big surprise to find that it was pretty awesome... I just saw it recently, was holding out because i heard the same that you had.

Ther's also Dungeon Siege... lol.. by uwe boll XD and blood raven ... by uwe boll.....

Haven't seen dungeon siege but i heard it sucked ballz.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
twesterm said:
PelshyX5499X334279YZ said:
Some comic book movies are up with some of the best movies of all time, including Batman Begins, Spiderman, and The Dark Knight. The best videogame movie to ever come out so far is Resident Evil (in my opinion). Can a movie off of a videogame ever be awesome and if yes, when?

Really?  Really? 

Don't get me wrong, those weren't bad movies by any means but those movies do not deserve to be anywhere near the best movies of all time list.

Dark Knight does. It's one of the best movies ever made. In my opinion. Naturally your opinion is yours, but a lot of people agree with me :p ho ho hoo

probably not.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
drboot said:
Comic book movies are all shit imo. It's nothing more than mainstream entertainment with little brains for the middle/lower class audiences.

I think you have missed some great movies then, I don't think I need to mention one of the best films in the last decade to get my point across.

As for popularity, RE I think was considered succesful as was Lara Croft.  Although most of Pokemon popularity is not from feature films, but I would think the Pokemon TV/Movie ventures has proven just as succesful has the Dark Knight.

axumblade said:
Staude said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
probaly not. there really havent been any movies based off of games in general, and there havent been any great movies based off games.

what do we have... resident evil... we're getting lost planet, there was supposed to be a halo movie like 100 years ago, max pain which i heard sucked, hitman which i heard sucked, doom which i never saw, uh...

Hitman didn't suck at all.. it was actually a big surprise to find that it was pretty awesome... I just saw it recently, was holding out because i heard the same that you had.

Ther's also Dungeon Siege... lol.. by uwe boll XD and blood raven ... by uwe boll.....

You also forget Postal and House of the Dead by Uwe Boll...I think he made Alone in the Dark too...not sure though.

well he shouldnt have made any of them :p

Staude said:
axumblade said:
Staude said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:

You also forget Postal and House of the Dead by Uwe Boll...I think he made Alone in the Dark too...not sure though.

well he shouldnt have made any of them :p

Dungeon siege was one of, if not the wrost movies of all time... if its not than House of the Dead surely is... HOW IS HE STILL WORKING!?!?!? if he makes another movie i swear to got im going write an angry letter