By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare, Lionhead, Turn 10, EPIC, Bungie. Game Announcement for 2009?

Microsoft exclusives thus far for 2009 only consist of a few 1st party games and some 3rd party exclusives. Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, Halo ODST (by Bungie smaller team).

There will be no doubt more exclusives will be coming out this year for the 360, but what could they be?

The 3 big x360 1st party developers hasn't announced a single game for 2009 yet. While 2nd party powerhouse Bungie hasn't announced a full game since Halo 3. Also EPIC is Microsoft best 3rd party developer and they should be developing something new.

Is there a possibility there could be as much as 5 new games announced by E3? What could they be?

Here are my guess from each of the 5 developers above.

Bungie: They said ODST will be their last Halo project so I don't think they are doing Halo 4. My guess is tha they wll be announcing a brand new franchise based on COD Modern Warfare style of gameplay. Bungie said they learned alot from Infinity Ward when COD:MW was released. Still a FPS I believed.

EPIC: Epic releases 2 very successful games in GeOW. I don't think it will be another Unreal game because the last one flopped. My guess is that it will  be a FPS similiar to GeOW style and with the cover system ala Killzone 2. Microsoft no doubt been following Killzone 2 development for the past year or so and they need a FPS with grahics to matched KZ2. Who is better to do it than Epic.

Turn 10: We know Forza 3 is coming but it might not make it out till 2010. I think it is more than likely they are developing PGR as well. I think either PGR 5 or Forza 3 will be out by end ofthis year. Microsoft did not release a Racing game last fall and no doubt they will need one this year to counter GT5 from Sony.

Lionhead: Peter M. already announced that they have 2 projects in development. One of them is completely new (Dimitri?) and another one is based on an old franchise. My guess is that the one based on the old franchise has been in development for a while an will be released end of this year. My guess is either Black or White 3 or the cancelled BC. Probably the later. They resurrected the game and made it a x360 exclusive. We shall see.

RARE: We Know Rare will be releasing at least one game this year, maybe even 2. Their catalog is so big that it is hard to know exactly what game or games they are working on. My guess and everyones' guess is KI3 will be one of the game. Microsoft hasn't have a great exclusive Fighter since DOA4. And it should be time for RARE to at least try to go hardcore.

Is there any other rumored games by other developers that I forgot???

Around the Network

I don't see how you put EPIC in there, I haven't heard any rumors of them developing a 360 exclusive, outside of the first 2 gears titles. Did you forget they sided with Sony when they made UT3 a timed exclusive? In fact the contrary there's been a rumor of them developing a PS3 exclusive. I wouldn't put any hope into EPIC doing another exclusive for Microsoft if I were you - outside of gears.

Rob6021 said:
I don't see how you put EPIC in there, I haven't heard any rumors of them developing a 360 exclusive, outside of the first 2 gears titles. Did you forget they sided with Sony when they made UT3 a timed exclusive? In fact the contrary there's been a rumor of them developing a PS3 exclusive. I wouldn't put any hope into EPIC doing another exclusive for Microsoft if I were you - outside of gears.

Dude, How many copies did UT3 sold on PS3? And how many copies did each of the Gears game sold on x360? There you go and Microsoft backed EPIC like they are a 1st party developer.

It's going to cost Microsoft an arm and a leg to secure another EPIC exclusive - considering the PS3 user base now(particularly in europe where they make more per game sold), and I don't think they'd do it. I don't think they're too concerned with matching up the the PS3 lineup, they're more conserned about having the cheapest HD console on the market, and making more money. I didn't say that it's likely EPIC would do a PS3 exclusve, its just that there was a rumor a long time ago.  They want to sell thier game engine as well, and staying away from a PS3 version would only serve to perpetuate the long standing belief that their engine just doesn't work very well on PS3.  Like i said before i wouldn't put too much hope on them doing a 360 exclusive.

Rob6021 said:

It's going to cost Microsoft an arm and a leg to secure another EPIC exclusive - considering the PS3 user base now(particularly in europe where they make more per game sold), and I don't think they'd do it. I don't think they're too concerned with matching up the the PS3 lineup, they're more conserned about having the cheapest HD console on the market, and making more money. I didn't say that it's likely EPIC would do a PS3 exclusve, its just that there was a rumor a long time ago.  They want to sell thier game engine as well, and staying away from a PS3 version would only serve to perpetuate the long standing belief that their engine just doesn't work very well on PS3.  Like i said before i wouldn't put too much hope on them doing a 360 exclusive.

Dude, you are delusional. Microsoft paid for the development cost of both Gears of War game and it has made both Epic and Microsoft tons of money by doing so. So your logic is way off. Why woundn't Microsoft paid for development cost for another exclusive if it was successful the first two times? Unreal Tournament 3 sold like crap on PS3 when it was timed exclusive.

Around the Network

Microsoft probably wants to throw Sony off gaurd again like they did last year with the Tekken and. Final Fantasy announcements. KI 3 is possible. They put 3 KI charachters in VP TIP.

RayRay102 said:
Rob6021 said:

Dude, you are delusional. Microsoft paid for the development cost of both Gears of War game and it has made both Epic and Microsoft tons of money by doing so. So your logic is way off. Why woundn't Microsoft paid for development cost for another exclusive if it was successful the first two times? Unreal Tournament 3 sold like crap on PS3 when it was timed exclusive.

600k isn't "crap" it's "ok"

But the game recieved little, if any, advertisement, it was released in November 2007 and lost in the shuffle of a bunch of other releases that came out during that period. That and it came out for PC as well, if I'm a UT fan, I'm getting the PC version.

RayRay102 said:

EPIC: Epic releases 2 very successful games in GeOW. I don't think it will be another Unreal Tournament game because the last one flopped. My guess is that it will  be a FPS similiar to GeOW style and with the cover system ala Killzone 2. Microsoft no doubt been following Killzone 2 development for the past year or so and they need a FPS with grahics to matched KZ2. Who is better to do it than Epic.

Unreal 3 would be awesome.

Stats87 said:
RayRay102 said:
Rob6021 said:

600k isn't "crap" it's "ok"

But the game recieved little, if any, advertisement, it was released in November 2007 and lost in the shuffle of a bunch of other releases that came out during that period. That and it came out for PC as well, if I'm a UT fan, I'm getting the PC version.

Not "crap", but for a timed exclusive FPS based of a famous franchise it definitely didn't sell "ok".

Yeah I can't see Epic doing another exclusive franchise besides Gears. UT3 on the PS3 was pretty much released to sell the Epics multi-platform engine. They will want to keep up with PS3 development.

I think we are going to see lots of DLC for Gears 2 this year, including campaign DLC.