By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Sammy posting losses, cutting jobs...despite supporting the Wii?

Keep in mind many of the additional staff needed for HD development are artists creating all the HD objects and textures and the like. The same # of games released on Wii as HD certainly requires more people for the HD versions; so, a company in the middle of a transition to a more Wii/handheld centric lineup would either need to hire more programmers to make more games with the same number of artists, or would need to cut some artists. So, that could be an explanation for why they would cut jobs.

Losing money, on the other hand, I can't explain. Maybe some of these projects are costing even more than we think they do?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

don't worry, they would not be increasing wii suport if it was where they were loosing money (madworld sonic black knight)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

dib8rman said:
They obviously neglected to read the instruction manual on their Nintendo provided money printers, that's what they get for thinking their pro's.

The question is if it was an operating loss or not, it could be like the EA loss where it was due to the restructering of EA and not so much production or R&D.

Granted I've heard that these larger companies love blowing money on "science projects."

Based on the sales of Mario and Sonic (it is set to triple expectations) I would say they understood quite well how to turn on their money printing machine.

All and all this is very odd to me. I can think of a few stinkers here and there that certainly ate up profits but nothing more than a few games that completely tanked. The stonger yen, and slower spending within Japan are probably the main factors that killed them. Other than Guilty Gear 2 Was there any game that seemed to completely bomb?

Edited to be more accurate.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I think a lot is going to MadWorld and Bayonetta and whatever other projects.

What about Golden Axe? Isn't that included?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@Gnizmo

Guilty Gear 2 wasnt sega lol...

Few games bombed that I can think of Golden Axe, Universe At war...

Around the Network

And how long has Yakuza 3 been in development? That's a whole HD studio with the next iteration of a popular franchise and not making money yet.

disolitude said:

Guilty Gear 2 wasn't done by sega (nor Sammy since it isn't an arcade machine).

To me it seems like Sega did all the right moves in 2008. Hell, even games like Viking and the Club probably broke even when considering sales for ps360 combined.

They also had the Bijing Olympics which sold well.

Someone mentione that Yen could be to blame and while this may be partially true, it just seems to me that these companies are ran by retards who failed Grade 11 Accounting.

Huh. I thought Sammy owned the series for some reason, but that appears to be entirely incorrect. Maybe Outlaw is on the right path with the recent push for a few games or at least the publishing rights to them. I had also forgotten about Golden Axe. My life was better for a brief time.

Edit: I typed that up before I read your post. I had gotten some bad info on the history of the series which now seems like it was just a desperate attempt to explain why it sucks ass these days.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

it is made be akyss

Gnizmo said:
disolitude said:

Guilty Gear 2 wasn't done by sega (nor Sammy since it isn't an arcade machine).

To me it seems like Sega did all the right moves in 2008. Hell, even games like Viking and the Club probably broke even when considering sales for ps360 combined.

They also had the Bijing Olympics which sold well.

Someone mentione that Yen could be to blame and while this may be partially true, it just seems to me that these companies are ran by retards who failed Grade 11 Accounting.

Huh. I thought Sammy owned the series for some reason, but that appears to be entirely incorrect. Maybe Outlaw is on the right path with the recent push for a few games or at least the publishing rights to them. I had also forgotten about Golden Axe. My life was better for a brief time.

Edit: I typed that up before I read your post. I had gotten some bad info on the history of the series which now seems like it was just a desperate attempt to explain why it sucks ass these days.

Didn't Golden Axe have like a ~$25-30 million budget and sold like 40k?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I guess we can't really know how and why if we don't work at Sega.

I've always liked sega despite the mediocre titles that they sometimes release (which oddly sell well...its the good ones that fail)

For 2009, lets hope that Wii owners want hardcore games for Segas sake.

Sonic will sell, and Winter Olympics will be a huge bonus for them but Yakuza 3 will hurt...especially if they dont release it outside Japan.

Rest of the titles are all a mistery.

Alien FPS game from Gearbox? Bayonetta, Madworld? could flop or sell great...