By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Sammy posting losses, cutting jobs...despite supporting the Wii?

the strong yen didn't help sega either since sega probably gets over 75% of their revenue from outside of Japan

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

Probably just a lot of development starting and a couple of titles under-performing hurt them. Guilty Gear 2 completely flopping certainly had a hand in this fiasco as well as other titles that failed to get anywhere near the sales one would hope for. Don't let that kind of logic and reason stop you from trolling the Wii fanboys though.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

arsenicazure said:
wow.. sammy really being a letdown for sega.. i was expecting SEGA to atleast have $50mil in profits.. oh well.. I guess next year could be better.. a lot of titles didnt go as well as expected and some really unexpected ones did. The losses arent too bad though and their revenue is growing- just a tough year for everyone ahead

thats how it wa sin the past, but the numbers I pasted above are for the Sega game division only. Not the arcade/pachinko machines busines.

Sega as game developer/publisher lost $62.4 million

Sega/Samy as a whole lost $119 million

And this is only last quarter. Both companies together are set to lose $290 million. Thats as much as Sega lost in 1997 with the Saturn which made them bail on that system.

maybe they r spending alot of money on something (a new console)thats the only thing i can think of lol il let u guys discuss this now

Cougarman said:
the strong yen didn't help sega either since sega probably gets over 75% of their revenue from outside of Japan

That's probably a bigger factor than what I said.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

well the strong yen is hurting them outside of Japan badly, then inside Japan i'm sure the arcades are suffering badly. The recession must have had a huge effect on the amount of money people are willing to spend at the arcades. Sega has tons of their own arcades there, and obviously tons of machines in various arcades.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

They obviously neglected to read the instruction manual on their Nintendo provided money printers, that's what they get for thinking their pro's.

The question is if it was an operating loss or not, it could be like the EA loss where it was due to the restructering of EA and not so much production or R&D.

Granted I've heard that these larger companies love blowing money on "science projects."

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

He said it's an operating loss in the first post.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

disolitude said:
arsenicazure said:
wow.. sammy really being a letdown for sega.. i was expecting SEGA to atleast have $50mil in profits.. oh well.. I guess next year could be better.. a lot of titles didnt go as well as expected and some really unexpected ones did. The losses arent too bad though and their revenue is growing- just a tough year for everyone ahead

thats how it wa sin the past, but the numbers I pasted above are for the Sega game division only. Not the arcade/pachinko machines busines.

Sega as game developer/publisher lost $62.4 million

Sega/Samy as a whole lost $119 million

And this is only last quarter. Both companies together are set to lose $290 million. Thats as much as Sega lost in 1997 with the Saturn which made them bail on that system.

well i dunno, when i look at the games released on the wii by sega i see a whole bunch of huge successes.  The HD systems is more of a mixed bag.  As cool as valkyrie chronicles looks there's no way they made money on that.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Gnizmo said:
Probably just a lot of development starting and a couple of titles under-performing hurt them. Guilty Gear 2 completely flopping certainly had a hand in this fiasco as well as other titles that failed to get anywhere near the sales one would hope for. Don't let that kind of logic and reason stop you from trolling the Wii fanboys though.

Guilty Gear 2 wasn't done by sega (nor Sammy since it isn't an arcade machine).

To me it seems like Sega did all the right moves in 2008. Hell, even games like Viking and the Club probably broke even when considering sales for ps360 combined.

They also had the Bijing Olympics which sold well.

Someone mentione that Yen could be to blame and while this may be partially true, it just seems to me that these companies are ran by retards who failed Grade 11 Accounting.