By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will only run 3 applications at once

JaggedSac said:

KABOOOOOOOM

Impulsivity, you are giving credit to Apple for these things when all they did was tweak them and give them the Apple image.  Apple did not invent touch screens, Apple did not invent functional consumer gui and mouse, etc.  You just have a blind hatred of M$.  Jobs has screwed over SOO many people over the years.  Ripping people off, etc.  Both M$ and Apple just buy smaller companies who innovate and sell them as their own.

Pretty much everything you listed that Apple came up with, was already done years before.  Apple is an image, and that is pretty much it.  They have yet to come to terms with developing software from a security standpoint either.  iTunes and Safari are absolutely pathetic in terms of security.

Impulsivity's agendas control him =(

Man, redspear just tore him a new one.

That YT video is highly interesting, by the way. Man, we've advanced - but scarily we haven't advanced that much in twenty something years. The paradigms and metaphors remain almost intact.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
redspear said:
Impulsivity said:

I know a lot of people on the microsoft defense train like to avoid facts (since MS ALWAYS comes up shady when facts are involved) but Apple paid Xerox for the right to the technology, primarily by allowing Xerox to buy shares at a lower prefered rate (and providing millions in other forms of compensation) which was a good deal for Xerox since they were pretty much mothballing their GUI project.

Alternately MS did not pay anyone for Windows, they didn't pay apple (in fact they took the macs and aped them after promising not to explicitly), they didn't pay Xerox, they just copied and went on.

This apple and MS are the same thing is bull.  Apple has revolutionized multiple markets with original ideas over and over, while there has not been an original MS idea pretty much ever (ok maybe the sphere, but who the hell wants that?)

PDAs? Apple Newton, touch screen on a PDA/phone again Newton then Iphone, functional consumer GUI and mouse? mac, consumer PCs? Apple II, touch screen phone interface? Iphone. every big feature in Windows 7, particularly the icon task bar? OS X

There are a few things like hard drive MP3 players they weren't the first on the scene with, but they are undoubtedly better at it then their competition in those cases.

I can't think of an instance where MS entered an established market with a superior product either.  IE was not at all superior to Netscape, Windows mobile blows, Windows has been way behind Mac OS X for years and the Zune is a rip off of ipods from 3+ years ago in pretty much every way.  That's not even including video games where pretty much everything has been a copy (yes even xbox live, anyone who had a dreamcast knows Seganet was first on that too).  When they enter new markets they do so with an inferior product, usually with reliatilibty issues (see the zunes not working on certain days, the 360 overheating, vista crapping out on countless millions, huge gaping security holes ect).

So yah, they are not the same company AT ALL, I have no idea why people try to paint them with the same brush.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DE1E39F936A25751C1A96F948260

The Xerox Corporation filed suit here today against Apple Computer Inc., accusing it of unlawfully using Xerox copyrights in its Macintosh and Lisa computers.

Xerox contends that the Lisa and Macintosh software stems from work originally done by Xerox scientists and that it was used by Apple without permission.

Apple NEVER paid XEROX a dime. Apple outright stole it. However the case I mentioned was thrown out because of statue of limitations. It was the result of a suit by Apple against HP and MS and the court only found that HP had violated apples IP with the trash Icon otehr than that apple lost its case.

Xerox had a monopoly status in the 70s and its ability to protect its IP was severly limited. The people I know who worked on PARC stated many times they were mad because XEROX did not properly protect itself and allowed for the apples and MSs of the world to encroach.

The Mouse and GUI were developed by PARC...Xerox's mouse even had 2 buttons.... The mouse had been around since the early 70's and liek everything else Apple gutted the mouse and GUI took away features and sold it as there own.

The PDA phone had been around for a long time before the IPhone I know because I used them. I was even able to get full internet not the mobile internet because of Opera. The Spotlight and Widget features in 10.4 on was in the longhorne betas in 2002 before even 10.3 came out and was available as a download before for XP in 2003 though it was buggy then.

Both Apple and MS and pretty much any copany buys up IPs from smaller company's. Example Coverflow. I use both OS X and Windows. I prefer the Windows enviroment but some programs I like are available only on the Mac like FCP. It all depends on wat I am working on.

Just a fast Edit because I don't want to be the mindless fanboy giving credit to the wrong people. THe Mouse was actually developed in the 60's at Stanford.

First I didn't say PDA phone, I said PDA from which most smart phones are based.  The Newton was the first PDA as its traditionally understood (though some would claim the casio 3000 would be the first PDA, it was in effect a calculator looking device that could store names as well as numbers).  It had handwriting recognition, multiple aplications, onboard memory, a touch screen and many more features standard on todays PDAs.  Yes Nokia made a PDA phone before the iphone, but did not come before Apples Newton PDA (nor did Palm).  The Newton was only mildly successful due mainly to its high price and Jobs killed it to work on the ipod and later iphone instead.

As to Xerox getting money from apple it DID in fact happen.  "In December 1979, the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center developed the first prototype for a GUI. A young man named Steve Jobs, looking for new ideas to work into future iterations of the Apple computer, traded US $1 million in stock options to Xerox for a detailed tour of their facilities and current projects. One of the things Xerox showed Jobs and other members of the Apple Lisa team was the Alto machine, which sported a GUI and a three-button mouse."

Apple did not take an alto back with them, did not directly copy the OS or anything involved (other then the basic idea of the GUI) and had a program leading to the macintosh in progress at the time with Apple II money.  They were sued in 1989 by Xerox in a money grab lawsuit, but they HAD provided Xerox compensation for the look at the Alto in the form of the million dollars in options.

The mouse was first invented in the 60s as a tool only scientests could use, but like in the case of the CASIO the early mice used by those scientists bared little resemblance to the commercially successful mac mouse that had much greater utility for the average consumer.  

If you're going to go to the widget/gadget system neither apple nor MS created that, it was from Yahoo, swing and a miss on that one.

There is a difference between a prototype and a comercially viable product too.  Xerox may have had a prototype of a GUI but that doesn't mean it was a functional consumer product like the macintosh was just like there were hobbyist machines before the Apple I and II (but that doesn't mean that the Apple I and II weren't the first successful consumer machines either).  

There is a difference between being first in theory (IE I'm sure 2000 years ago at least someone hit a round object with a stick a few times but that doesn't mean he invented baseball) and first in terms of having an actualized product.  Apple has been first in having an actualized product many, many times.  Microsoft has never once been first with an actualized product, never.  You can make an arguement that there was an obscure product in the shadows before Apple made the standard version (say OMG there was the Archon Hard Drive MP3 player before the ipod! if you must) but Apple didn't just tweak it, it revolutionized it (ditto with the macintosh, the Apple II, the iphone ect).  If you want tweaking with no real innovation look at Windows, the zune, internet explorer, .net, the Xbox and all the rest of the Microsoft me too products.  Microsoft products aren't even evolutionary much less revolutionary.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:

First I didn't say PDA phone, I said PDA from which most smart phones are based.  The Newton was the first PDA as its traditionally understood (though some would claim the casio 3000 would be the first PDA, it was in effect a calculator looking device that could store names as well as numbers).  It had handwriting recognition, multiple aplications, onboard memory, a touch screen and many more features standard on todays PDAs.  Yes Nokia made a PDA phone before the iphone, but did not come before Apples Newton PDA (nor did Palm).  The Newton was only mildly successful due mainly to its high price and Jobs killed it to work on the ipod and later iphone instead.

As to Xerox getting money from apple it DID in fact happen.  "In December 1979, the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center developed the first prototype for a GUI. A young man named Steve Jobs, looking for new ideas to work into future iterations of the Apple computer, traded US $1 million in stock options to Xerox for a detailed tour of their facilities and current projects. One of the things Xerox showed Jobs and other members of the Apple Lisa team was the Alto machine, which sported a GUI and a three-button mouse."

Apple did not take an alto back with them, did not directly copy the OS or anything involved (other then the basic idea of the GUI) and had a program leading to the macintosh in progress at the time with Apple II money.  They were sued in 1989 by Xerox in a money grab lawsuit, but they HAD provided Xerox compensation for the look at the Alto in the form of the million dollars in options.

The mouse was first invented in the 60s as a tool only scientests could use, but like in the case of the CASIO the early mice used by those scientists bared little resemblance to the commercially successful mac mouse that had much greater utility for the average consumer.  

If you're going to go to the widget/gadget system neither apple nor MS created that, it was from Yahoo, swing and a miss on that one.

There is a difference between a prototype and a comercially viable product too.  Xerox may have had a prototype of a GUI but that doesn't mean it was a functional consumer product like the macintosh was just like there were hobbyist machines before the Apple I and II (but that doesn't mean that the Apple I and II weren't the first successful consumer machines either).  

There is a difference between being first in theory (IE I'm sure 2000 years ago at least someone hit a round object with a stick a few times but that doesn't mean he invented baseball) and first in terms of having an actualized product.  Apple has been first in having an actualized product many, many times.  Microsoft has never once been first with an actualized product, never.  You can make an arguement that there was an obscure product in the shadows before Apple made the standard version (say OMG there was the Archon Hard Drive MP3 player before the ipod! if you must) but Apple didn't just tweak it, it revolutionized it (ditto with the macintosh, the Apple II, the iphone ect).  If you want tweaking with no real innovation look at Windows, the zune, internet explorer, .net, the Xbox and all the rest of the Microsoft me too products.  Microsoft products aren't even evolutionary much less revolutionary.

Can't wait for spear's rebuttal lol. This is gonna be fun.

I am already spotting a few weak flanks in there.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Impulsivity said:

First the Lawsuit and agreement. There was no agreement during the lawsuit Apple made no such claim and only went after statute of limitations. This is important because if there had baeen an agreement than Apple would of been awarded damages and at the very least. this did not happen because no company would perjure themselves at this level when other legal strategies are available...Like Statute of limitations. Trust me they would of been all over it in the news and in the courtroom if their had been a money for copyrights agreement.

As for stock I do not know if they had bought apple stock or not. This however is not uncommon when a company is looking at an upstart with intent for a future partnership as is inviting a CEO over for a meeting at your HQ and doing a quick walk through. This does not grant rights to IP. Also the similiarities in design from the Lisa to Star are to similiar to be anything but a copy. Bill gates himself was rumored to have bought a Star(notice I say rumored since I have no link outside of Wikipedia)

Touchscreen PDAs that existed befoe and way before the Newton which came out in 1993

1991-Kyocera Refalo also with US Patent 5739814

Capable of storing address, Maps and HW recognition as well

Abstract

An electronic book which can store, in a ROM, a computer program, is integrated with graphic and textual material on a series of pages. Various input devices such as a finger, a light pen, a touch pen, etc. can be utilized with a sensing circuit combined with the page for inputting data into the computer system . The computer system can display this information in both an audio and visual manner.

Citation below

The Usability of the Mouse was developed at Xerox. The Xerox Star was on display at the Computer Development conference in 1981 and was intended for commercial use. It was a superior product that was available on the market.

Yeah that mouse looks unusable...keep in mind this 8010 weas availlable in 1981 to anybody not just universities. Apple removed a bunch of features for its GUIs and removed a mouse button called it original.(BTW I Like the Woz I personally think the man is a genius in both HW and SW).

You can talk about MS V Apple all you want. I use both. I like both I prefer MS because it has always worked faster and has been easier for me to navigate than Apple but that is just me.

The widgets are confabulator I only added that to stress my point apple didn't invent them or put themin an OS first or even second Linux had them first.

BYTE, vol. 16, No. 9, Sep. 1991, pp 881S-7 to 881S-12, "Kyocera Rustles Up the Refalo", by Andy Redfern

Lets take you back to 1987

The Casio IF-8000

Way before the Newton was even an Idea.

This isn't including the Psions from 1981-1985 or the HP PDA released in 1991. However you are right the Newton is the first PDA as Apple invented the marketing term PDA for it's launch.... Which will bring me to the Iphone.

Say hello to Simon...IBM Simon(1994) a PDA phone with Touchscreen. Sold for 899 only a few hundred more than the original Iphone 2 years ago.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3457/is_n14_v12/ai_14973288

Processor : custom OS : Zaurus OS???
RAM : 1 MB ROM : 1 MB
Graphic display : 160 x 293 Text display : variable fonts
Display : B&W Input : Stylus

Built-in Applications :
Complete telephone abilities, phone directory, mail (not internet compliant), calculator, calendar, fax, note pad, file manager, sketch pad, to do list...

Open to other applications : On PCMCIA cards (maybe also by installation in memory?)

Ports :
- power supply entry
- one PCMCIA type 2 port
- one IO connection port

Other phones of note Palm PDA phones pretty much every HTC phone like the T-mobile MDA all before the Iphone was even designed.  All had copy and paste which the Iphone doesn't all can run run multiple programs which the Iphone can't....(Wait you are complaining about a SW lock out on an OS designed to run on slower HW aren't you). Then there is this little phone relased and Announced before the Iphone

Impulsivity said:

@cueil in what world is windows ever more user friendly and superior? I mean did you ever even USE Windows 3.0? It was horrific. My dad, at the time, ran the education center for Illinois and so had access to a large number of computers of all stripes and I can say unequivically early versions of windows were just awful. The first even functional version of Windows was Windows 95 which came out in 95 "obviously". From System 7 in the late 80s on the Mac OS was very usable and worked great; even the first macs were at least on par with windows 95 other then being black and white (and having VERY limited Hard Drives and RAM).

The idea that there was some call for windows because the mac was hard to use is just insane, really. That's like saying the Internet Explorer was called for because Netscape was a bad browser (it certainly wasn't) or people hate Google and so need Windows Live Search (which they are now paying people to use and even still not gaining traction).

As to paying 999 for a used laptop, macs cost more used (and new) but their total cost of ownership is far lower. If you swap your computer every few years you get much higher resale value with macs, which makes the ocmputer as a whole less expensive. Farhad Manjoo did a great piece on that where he compared purchase price and resale value of various computers and found macs a few hundred dollars cheaper. I have never sold a mac I bought for less then a few hundred dollars below what was retail when I got it two years prior. I bought a G5 mac pro for 2300, sold it for 2000 2 years later, ditto for a more recent mac pro purchase.

It really is like buying a luxury car instead of a kia. I mean if you have a 2004 Lexus it's still worth over 50% of what you paid 5 years later while a 2004 Kia sells on the junk car lot for about 1500-2000 bucks retail blue book. I mean sure the kia cost only 15,000 new, but it was a total loss in value just a few years later (and for those years you're driving a friggin Kia).

Article here http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2007/11/07/mac_price/index.html

Windows 3.0 was very bad... 3.11 was a vast improvment, but even then I stuck mostly to MS-DOS 6.2 and DOShell.  The problem I have with Apple and the mac lineup is that I vastly prefer building my own system.  And at the rate PCs move now it's just not feasable (in my mind) to spend a grand on a laptop.  If you are going to use it for basic stuff then a much cheaper standard laptop will work.  Such as the HP with 4 gigs of ram and 120 gig HD for 800 bones.  I can see where you're comming from on the resale, but Laptops are not something I see as a investment of 2 years... when I was interested in the computer arms race it was for gaming so a desktop would last me a couple of years before I'd upgrade.  I use to time it with the new release of CPU or video cards that way I could pick up a video card that was 500 bucks 6 months ago for 120.  Pricewatch.com was always my best friend

Around the Network
redspear said:

Wall'o text here

Kaboom.

We'll need a spoon to pick out the remains 8P

Bitmap Frogs said:
redspear said:

Wall'o text here

Kaboom.

We'll need a spoon to pick out the remains 8P

LOL.

Bump because MS has changed their minds, removing the limit upon Windows 7 Starter.

http://www.aviransplace.com/2009/05/30/microsoft-kills-3-app-limit-for-windows-7-starter-edition/

I wan't to congratulate MS for seeing the light
"Based on the feedback we’ve received from partners and customers asking us to enable a richer small notebook PC experience with Windows 7 Starter, we’ve decided to enable Windows 7 Starter customers the ability to run as many applications simultaneously as they would like"

Listening to your customers is always smart, and it's good to see they could admit that they were wrong.

I would also invite everyone who posted in this thread defending the decision to limit users to 3 applications to join Microsoft in taking back what you have said