By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will only run 3 applications at once

bardicverse said:
I personally have learned that every version except for the top version in ANY Windows is crap. I only get the top version.

Usually top versions are full of networking and diagnostic tools the average homeuser doesn't need and cost a lot more.  Unless you're planning on setting up a full blown windows workgroup with half a dozen or more computers or you're pirating (likely), getting the most expensive version is very silly.

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:
I would second bitmap's urging against the new MBP atm. If you want a new computer I would recomend the macbook currently, or waiting, or the 17 inch version (which is pretty nice). Waiting would be my 1st choice though given the new smaller chip dye with better performance revisions soon to arrive.

In fact it's really a bad time to buy any core 2 or old style quad core system. The i7 is just so superior its rediculous.

As a quick example programs that ran on my core 2 duo macbook pro (mid 2008 version) used up around 70-80% of processor power at times in Vista (which is a processor hog). Doing the exact same things on the i7 computer I bought the processor load is about 15% tops. I have never once seen my processor load going above 30% even playing Crysis or running 15 programs at once. The i7 is quite amazing and buying any computer without it is pointless atm.

If I had to buy a laptop today I would get a refurbished macbook air for 999 dollars and then get a gaming desktop seperatly, but that's just me :D.

Also do watch pirates of Silicon Valley, for one thing the Steve Balmer they have is SPOT ON. For another it really shows the genesis of Windows well. Microsoft promises to make Office, so they get a few pre release macs. They proceed to copy it wholesale and release "windows" in asia first before a release in the US. There's a great scene near the end where Steve Jobs bellows "you lied to me" and Gates equivocates just like he always does.

Quite a bit of bit of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is fabricated. At least I now know you are Mac Fanboy though. The personalities may be right for most of the people involved with the exception of Jobs.

First all modern OS's stole from Xerox including Apple, MS, IBM, and so forth.  Secondly the majority of Macs I have run have actually been slower when running similiar programs on similiarly specced machines.

I do use both Macs and Windows though and there are htings I really like about Macs but hey if you want to waste your money on a 999 Mac notebook go rigth ahead.

redspear said:

Quite a bit of bit of "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is fabricated. At least I now know you are Mac Fanboy though. The personalities may be right for most of the people involved with the exception of Jobs.

First all modern OS's stole from Xerox including Apple, MS, IBM, and so forth.  Secondly the majority of Macs I have run have actually been slower when running similiar programs on similiarly specced machines.

I do use both Macs and Windows though and there are htings I really like about Macs but hey if you want to waste your money on a 999 Mac notebook go rigth ahead.

It is certainly not a documentary. If I recall, jobs (or some apple rep) called it "mean spirited", woz said basically the events depicted in the movie happened and that the portrayal of personalities was accurate.

Anyways, it's a worthy watch.

edit: ah, the Xerox incident is one of the events depicted in the movie.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
redspear said:

It is certainly not a documentary. If I recall, jobs (or some apple rep) called it "mean spirited", woz said basically the events depicted in the movie happened and that the portrayal of personalities was accurate.

The Xerox incident is in there but it was again slightly shifted from what happened. I have worked with and met people from teh original PARC product and while they mostly loathe XEROX for not defending its own IP(Which was consequently tied down because XEROX had a monopoly status at the time) they don't have nice things to say abotu Apple or Windows either.

However many of these same guys have gone on to work for both MS and Apple...You know as not only does time heal wounds people need jobs and hey its these guys speciality.

Xerox Star is the Apple LISA.

redspear said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
redspear said:

The Xerox incident is in there but it was again slightly shifted from what happened. I have worked with and met people from teh original PARC product and while they mostly loathe XEROX for not defending its own IP(Which was consequently tied down because XEROX had a monopoly status at the time) they don't have nice things to say abotu Apple or Windows either.

However many of these same guys have gone on to work for both MS and Apple...You know as not only does time heal wounds people need jobs and hey its these guys speciality.

Ah, whatever.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

that would probobly help a lot of idiots i know who run 400 littl apps of no importance in the tray, and complain about performance

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

redspear said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
redspear said:

I know a lot of people on the microsoft defense train like to avoid facts (since MS ALWAYS comes up shady when facts are involved) but Apple paid Xerox for the right to the technology, primarily by allowing Xerox to buy shares at a lower prefered rate (and providing millions in other forms of compensation) which was a good deal for Xerox since they were pretty much mothballing their GUI project.

Alternately MS did not pay anyone for Windows, they didn't pay apple (in fact they took the macs and aped them after promising not to explicitly), they didn't pay Xerox, they just copied and went on.

This apple and MS are the same thing is bull.  Apple has revolutionized multiple markets with original ideas over and over, while there has not been an original MS idea pretty much ever (ok maybe the sphere, but who the hell wants that?)

PDAs? Apple Newton, touch screen on a PDA/phone again Newton then Iphone, functional consumer GUI and mouse? mac, consumer PCs? Apple II, touch screen phone interface? Iphone. every big feature in Windows 7, particularly the icon task bar? OS X

There are a few things like hard drive MP3 players they weren't the first on the scene with, but they are undoubtedly better at it then their competition in those cases.

I can't think of an instance where MS entered an established market with a superior product either.  IE was not at all superior to Netscape, Windows mobile blows, Windows has been way behind Mac OS X for years and the Zune is a rip off of ipods from 3+ years ago in pretty much every way.  That's not even including video games where pretty much everything has been a copy (yes even xbox live, anyone who had a dreamcast knows Seganet was first on that too).  When they enter new markets they do so with an inferior product, usually with reliatilibty issues (see the zunes not working on certain days, the 360 overheating, vista crapping out on countless millions, huge gaping security holes ect).

So yah, they are not the same company AT ALL, I have no idea why people try to paint them with the same brush.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:

I know a lot of people on the microsoft defense train like to avoid facts (since MS ALWAYS comes up shady when facts are involved) but Apple paid Xerox for the right to the technology, primarily by allowing Xerox to buy shares at a lower prefered rate (and providing millions in other forms of compensation) which was a good deal for Xerox since they were pretty much mothballing their GUI project.

Alternately MS did not pay anyone for Windows, they didn't pay apple (in fact they took the macs and aped them after promising not to explicitly), they didn't pay Xerox, they just copied and went on.

This apple and MS are the same thing is bull.  Apple has revolutionized multiple markets with original ideas over and over, while there has not been an original MS idea pretty much ever (ok maybe the sphere, but who the hell wants that?)

PDAs? Apple Newton, touch screen on a PDA/phone again Newton then Iphone, functional consumer GUI and mouse? mac, consumer PCs? Apple II, touch screen phone interface? Iphone. every big feature in Windows 7, particularly the icon task bar? OS X

There are a few things like hard drive MP3 players they weren't the first on the scene with, but they are undoubtedly better at it then their competition in those cases.

I can't think of an instance where MS entered an established market with a superior product either.  IE was not at all superior to Netscape, Windows mobile blows, Windows has been way behind Mac OS X for years and the Zune is a rip off of ipods from 3+ years ago in pretty much every way.  That's not even including video games where pretty much everything has been a copy (yes even xbox live, anyone who had a dreamcast knows Seganet was first on that too).  When they enter new markets they do so with an inferior product, usually with reliatilibty issues (see the zunes not working on certain days, the 360 overheating, vista crapping out on countless millions, huge gaping security holes ect).

So yah, they are not the same company AT ALL, I have no idea why people try to paint them with the same brush.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DE1E39F936A25751C1A96F948260

The Xerox Corporation filed suit here today against Apple Computer Inc., accusing it of unlawfully using Xerox copyrights in its Macintosh and Lisa computers.

Xerox contends that the Lisa and Macintosh software stems from work originally done by Xerox scientists and that it was used by Apple without permission.

Apple NEVER paid XEROX a dime. Apple outright stole it. However the case I mentioned was thrown out because of statue of limitations. It was the result of a suit by Apple against HP and MS and the court only found that HP had violated apples IP with the trash Icon otehr than that apple lost its case.

Xerox had a monopoly status in the 70s and its ability to protect its IP was severly limited. The people I know who worked on PARC stated many times they were mad because XEROX did not properly protect itself and allowed for the apples and MSs of the world to encroach.

The Mouse and GUI were developed by PARC...Xerox's mouse even had 2 buttons.... The mouse had been around since the early 70's and liek everything else Apple gutted the mouse and GUI took away features and sold it as there own.

The PDA phone had been around for a long time before the IPhone I know because I used them. I was even able to get full internet not the mobile internet because of Opera. The Spotlight and Widget features in 10.4 on was in the longhorne betas in 2002 before even 10.3 came out and was available as a download before for XP in 2003 though it was buggy then.

Both Apple and MS and pretty much any copany buys up IPs from smaller company's. Example Coverflow. I use both OS X and Windows. I prefer the Windows enviroment but some programs I like are available only on the Mac like FCP. It all depends on wat I am working on.

Just a fast Edit because I don't want to be the mindless fanboy giving credit to the wrong people. THe Mouse was actually developed in the 60's at Stanford.

Thank God I have a Mac.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

redspear said:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DE1E39F936A25751C1A96F948260

The Xerox Corporation filed suit here today against Apple Computer Inc., accusing it of unlawfully using Xerox copyrights in its Macintosh and Lisa computers.

Xerox contends that the Lisa and Macintosh software stems from work originally done by Xerox scientists and that it was used by Apple without permission.

Apple NEVER paid XEROX a dime. Apple outright stole it. However the case I mentioned was thrown out because of statue of limitations. It was the result of a suit by Apple against HP and MS and the court only found that HP had violated apples IP with the trash Icon otehr than that apple lost its case.

Xerox had a monopoly status in the 70s and its ability to protect its IP was severly limited. The people I know who worked on PARC stated many times they were mad because XEROX did not properly protect itself and allowed for the apples and MSs of the world to encroach.

The Mouse and GUI were developed by PARC...Xerox's mouse even had 2 buttons.... The mouse had been around since the early 70's and liek everything else Apple gutted the mouse and GUI took away features and sold it as there own.

The PDA phone had been around for a long time before the IPhone I know because I used them. I was even able to get full internet not the mobile internet because of Opera. The Spotlight and Widget features in 10.4 on was in the longhorne betas in 2002 before even 10.3 came out and was available as a download before for XP in 2003 though it was buggy then.

Both Apple and MS and pretty much any copany buys up IPs from smaller company's. Example Coverflow. I use both OS X and Windows. I prefer the Windows enviroment but some programs I like are available only on the Mac like FCP. It all depends on wat I am working on.

Just a fast Edit because I don't want to be the mindless fanboy giving credit to the wrong people. THe Mouse was actually developed in the 60's at Stanford.

KABOOOOOOOM

Impulsivity, you are giving credit to Apple for these things when all they did was tweak them and give them the Apple image.  Apple did not invent touch screens, Apple did not invent functional consumer gui and mouse, etc.  You just have a blind hatred of M$.  Jobs has screwed over SOO many people over the years.  Ripping people off, etc.  Both M$ and Apple just buy smaller companies who innovate and sell them as their own.

Pretty much everything you listed that Apple came up with, was already done years before.  Apple is an image, and that is pretty much it.  They have yet to come to terms with developing software from a security standpoint either.  iTunes and Safari are absolutely pathetic in terms of security.