By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will only run 3 applications at once

Gnizmo said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

That's what they always used to do, a client edition and a server edition.

If I recall, they started testing it with XP and went full fledged with Vista. You know, windows 7 might be stellar but if they pretend people and business to drop 200 smackers just to have the timestamped backup feature enabled, it's gonna hurt them.

It has essentially always been this way. 2000 had 3-4 versions aimmed either at consumers or businesses depending on the name. Before that they just had two seperate lines of OSes that they worked with. You had the 9X series more targetted towards the home user, and the NT series designed more for businesses and the like in the exact same vein as the current set-ups. Hell, even Windows 3.1 had an extra version in 3.11 with networking support to make it more worthwhile in a business environment. The multiple versions will work because it has always worked. You are just now becoming aware of it though.

I became aware about it once XP rolled out.

I just checked 2000's multiple editions... they had the professional, the datacenter and two server editions.

As to wether they'll work or not... competition is stiffer this days and Vista backlash still lasting. Shrug =)

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

This version is only going to be on computers they build for poorer countries. The starter version won't be available to be bought by the average consumer.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Everyone on this site if they ever upgrade or buy a PC with Windows 7 already know the difference between all the versions so they'll never get Starter.

Average Joe from what Ive seen tends to buy Home Basic and Home Premium. Most desktops never come with starter at stores anyways.

Why is everyone bitching? Especially since I assume that this isnt even for America but under-developed countries like others have said/;

Valkyria00 said:
Everyone on this site if they ever upgrade or buy a PC with Windows 7 already know the difference between all the versions so they'll never get Starter.

Average Joe from what Ive seen tends to buy Home Basic and Home Premium. Most desktops never come with starter at stores anyways.

Why is everyone bitching? Especially since I assume that this isnt even for America but under-developed countries like others have said/;

They are releasing Starter here, but not Home Basic it seems. A little backwards to me, but there you have it. Still, I will be surprised if I ever see a copy of Windows 7 Starter sitting on a store shelf.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Im too lazy to read the thread so could someone give a condensed version about the point of Windows 7.

Is it a sneak version of Vista, and will Vista continue to be the version to choose for the serious gamers/users for years to come?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Im too lazy to read the thread so could someone give a condensed version about the point of Windows 7.

Is it a sneak version of Vista, and will XP continue to be the version to choose for the serious gamers/users for years to come?

Fix'd.

Windows 7 appears to be Vista re-skinned and optimized. What intel would call a "tock".

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

None of this even matters. In the future we'll all be using Haiku anyways.

Bitmap Frogs said:

Windows 7 appears to be Vista re-skinned and optimized.

There are a lot of under-the-hood changes and a few other things but this statement will be fairly accurate as far as what most consumers will see.  It will have the Vista feel but basically be better at pretty much everything Vista did plus since it is compatible with Vista drivers we won't see the major complications we saw in the XP->Vista change.

Overall, unlike Vista it's exactly what an OS upgrade should be--an improvement over the old one.

wow. i can talk crap about this as much as i want, but i'm sure i'll probably check it out anyway and eventually use it lol.

Windows has become a joke. I wish a serious company would step up to the OS plate.