By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 will only run 3 applications at once

According to a slashdot article, the cheapest version of Windows 7 willbe limited to opening 3 different applications at once, ie you could run itunes, firefox and ms word, but then would be unable to open anything else. Although apparently multiple windows from the one application only count towards 1

If true, and if it ends in the final release, this takes Windows 7 from 'one of MS's better programs' to 'an even bigger cock-up than Vista' in my eyes

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/09/1348255&from=rss

Edit to avoid me having to say this to everybody who joins

XP starter and Vista starter had the same limitation, but were only sold in 'emerging markets'. 7 starter, however, is available worldwide, but 7 home basic is not, meaning that if you do not want starter, you will have to fork out for home premium

Edit2 - MS has changed their stance, now removing the block that would have limited Windows 7 starter users to 3 applications only

http://www.aviransplace.com/2009/05/30/microsoft-kills-3-app-limit-for-windows-7-starter-edition/

Around the Network

Most people wouldn't get the cheapest version, anyways. I thought that it was only limited to economically weaker countries.

I doubt that they mean the standard Home edition, which is what most people would be concerned with.

Doesn't the cheapest version get shipped with budgets pc's or laptops? Anyway... it sucks..
Well which of the 6 versions of windows 7 can run 5 applications at once??
*firefox, lastfm, msn messenger, illustrator, photoshop, flash..* wait make that 6! XD

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Also, what determines what is an application, or not? There are many processes running in the background, and it would not be possible for Windows to detect what each process was, unless they made it so that the developer would have to specify - but that would ruin backwards compatability (which they didn't want to do), and it would be easy for software programmer to lie about their app and just call it an "utility", or something.

It is only the 'Starter Edition', which will be used in Netbooks in all countries, it is also most likely going to be offered at least an an option in cheap pcs/laptops, which is very unfortunate for those who buy it without knowing much about it

Around the Network
scottie said:
It is only the 'Starter Edition', which will be used in Netbooks in all countries, it is also most likely going to be offered at least an an option in cheap pcs/laptops, which is very unfortunate for those who buy it without knowing much about it

Well... it is kinda hard for average joe when you have 6 versions of windows 7...

• Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Ultimate

??? Which one will average joe buy???

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

i think it's time for Google to step in OS market with their own OS and give MS a good run for their money.

I believe google will finish this monopoly in the PC market no later than 2011.

Yeah, I also worry about this news and background apps like firewall software, anti-virus, Truecrypt etc. thats three without opening anything useful

Hopefully this is just BS...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

SpartanFX said:
i think it's time for Google to step in OS market with their own OS and give MS a good run for their money.

I believe google will finish this monopoly in the PC market no later than 2011.

Unless google has some serious magic hidden up their sleeve to get all the Windows only software running that many businesses rely on daily, there is no way that will ever happen by 2011. Even if it came out tomorrow and every business decided they were going to switch, all the testing, deployment and training needed to be done would need every business going into overdrive to have it rolled out by the end of 2011.

As for the starter edition, you all do realise that XP has a starter edition too...right...well guess not reading the comments so far. This is not targetted at netbooks. This is aimed at poor countries that have extremely high levels of piracy. Unless you live in one of the countries this is targetted towards you will never see it.

@ katilian
XP had a starter version, yes. It was capable of running many programs at once, limited only by the specs of the computer

Even if the starter version is not for release where we live - it's still pretty big news that MS is doing this to any of their customers

You are mistaken that Starter is aimed at developing companies. Starter will be pre installed on many systems across the globe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart
Starter - Preinstalled on computers worldwide
Home basic - Developing Countries
Home premium - Preinstalled on computers and available at retail worldwide
Professional - Preinstalled on computers and available at retail worldwide
Enterprise - only available in bulk to businesses
Ultimate - Limited Retail and preinstalled

So if you live in the USA, go down to the shops to buy a new PC you will be presented with the option of buying Starter, Home Premium or Professional. My guess is alot of people will choose starter, and thus be unable to open 4 applications