By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do achievements (X360) or trophies (PS3) matter to you?

papflesje said:
@ toastboy: in case you are serious (can't detect it since I don't know your posting style that well :p): Is there in fact a difference between achievements and trophies? Just wondering

well yes in a matter of fact,

More of my friends play xbox 360 than ps3 so I can show them off more....does that clear things up?

Around the Network

@ xlost: well, that's not how I do it. the ones that pop up during play, fine.

But when I grow tired of a game, or when I'm bored, I'll go look at the remaining trophies and see if there's anything "fun" in there, and then I'll try to get it.

The competitive trophies in Resistance 2 didn't interest me at all, since I don't care for competitive play, but after trying it, I got hooked and played competitive play quite often since).

Of course I do !!!!!!

Without achievements/trophies I would not play LittleBigPlanet or older games anymore.

I'm currently doing some Resistance 2 trophies - they're very good

i like trophys.. better to have them then nothing

Do they matter to me????????????

hhhhmmmmmm

My gamercard suggests they do.

Some achievements are clearly over the top. (Perfect dark zero, play 1000 online matches)

But if an achievement is to beat a game on the highest difficulty and you wouldn't normally be brave enough to try that and you succeed, then theres a greater sense of satisfaction knowing you took everything that game could throw at you and survived the onslaught.

Around the Network

Me and my friends constantly bicker about achievements, I suppose we use it as a representation of our gaming skills as a whole when it comes down to games we simply cannot compete it. Fable 2 for example, I'm sitting at 1030 achievement points for that game, my friend is at 780. I rag on him constantly because of it, it pushes him to play the game more and do things he never done before.

In a way I see it as a very friendly competition between friends who share the same game. No one gets hurt from the competition and we push each other to our limits in gaming. So I view achievements and trophies matter a lot to me.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Anybody who says it doesn't put a smile on their face when "achievement unlocked 30 Gamerscore" is a big fat liar. Achievements are awesome.

I find them annoying, if I want highscores I go to the arcades or something.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I only own a PS3 but trophies/achievements are the same thing. Are they important? Depends, if there's a game you really want doesn't matter if it has them or not, or how many it has or if they're hard to get, what matters is the game itself, if you like the game just get it. But on the other hand once you've beaten said game, trophies/achievements give it a little more replayability so you can trully say you beat the game 100%. That's my opinion.

I'm a completionist. I like having it on record that I pretty much cleared a game 100%.

It's unfortunate, really. I end up doing mindless tasks/grinding just to get points that basically mean nothing, but what can I say, I've always been weak to this. There's a reason I'm doing my best to stay off WoW.

edit: Currently have my 360 on the TV running Gears 2 (stalemate) matches for the 1999 achievement. Yeah...