By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Shuts Up Gabe Newell!

Procrastinato said:
No offense, Deneidez, and I know I play dumb on the forums here alot for the sake of fun, but the beer truth (that's as truthful as it gets in my book) is that the 360's CPU is not as powerful as the Cell, in any way, shape, or form, when it comes to game programming, which is often very amenable to parallelism, even outside of the rendering stages.

All the reports you can dig up on "teh interwebs" are basically hogwash cooked up by people who don't know what a mutex or a ring bus is, or what they mean to parallel algorithms, or professional game programming.

The GPU of the 360 is what gives it an advantage over the PS3. Not the memory architecture, and not the CPU. The GPU of the 360 is better, without question. The end result varies, depending on how the game is written -- game engines which start from a single process basis, like PC engines, are going naturally be better on the 360. Game engines written from the ground up for a specific console are going to end up better on the PS3. Its pretty cut-and-dried, and its played out that way for a few years now on the market -- its pretty evident from the PS3 exclusives being better, and the 360 cross platform games being better, and it makes a lot of sense... to me, anyway.

Newell doesn't like the PS3 because it doesn't fit nicely with Valve's PC engine architecture. He knows that parallelism is the future, but he doesn't like the SPU concept -- he prefers that each core had full access to main memory. The SPU idea reduces the amount of raw materials (transitors) needed to make large parallel CPUs possible, in exchange for a lot of ease-of-use functionality. Frankly, I understand his thoughts completely -- and I dislike the Cell idea as well, in that it is crazy inconvenient... but I know it has darn good reasons to exist as it does. I also dislike that I don't live in Hawai'i. Dang it!

What a pain it would (will) be if all parallel systems were (are going to be) as indirect as the Cell architecture. That, and Newell's, opinion doesn't stop the Cell from being a faster CPU than the Xenon though, and it doesn't make multi-core architectures less prone to heat issues, power consumption, and production costs, unless they go the way of the Cell.

We have 8 and 16 core processors (the full-scale kind) on the horizon. When the 16-core mega CPUs are outperformed by 4 core, 32-SPU versions of the Cell for a huge number of applications though... what is there to say? Lets face it, you don't need more than a couple cores in a business environment, outside of some number crunching apps which not every office suite user even cares about. Performance processing (games included) is about performance, not convenience. If it costs the same, or even less, to make, by nature of low transistor count per SPU core... the Cell idea may very well hit the bigtime in the future -- as soon as people accept it, that is.

But.. I just like to procrastinate, drink beer, and make joke posts on teh interwebz. I'm not actually joking with this post, but... it will be entertaining if you want to believe that I am, so that's cool too.

That's a lot of words for Procrastinato. Back to normal for me now. Beer rules.

Jekyll and Hyde lol

Around the Network
NFGBlinkAC said:
Garnett said:
Deneidez said:
MikeB said:

What kind of data that cannot possibly be broken down in smaller pieces?

Did you even go through the pseudocode I wrote? I guess not. This is so pointless. I just should have known. Whatever I write answer is something about PS3 and how good it is. -.-

Ok, I quit...

You should know PS3 > ALL,PS3 > 360.

PS3 > X720

PS3> X1080

PS3> PS4

PS3> Wii

PS3> Crysis

PS3> God

PS3>Soulja Boy

Cell > Gohan

QFT lol

lmao

Deneidez said:
http://www.research.ibm.com/cell/heterogeneousCMP.html

Thanks.  I suspect I knew that at one point but had long since forgotten the distinction between PPE/SPE and PPU/SPU.  Hopefully this time it'll stick. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Killzone 2 reviews are higher than that of Left4Dead.

Good luck getting a 360 port of KZ2 - First problem (assuming it could be on 360) is it would be on multiple disks. Secondly it would have inferior graphics.

coolestguyever said:

Good luck getting a 360 port of KZ2 - First problem (assuming it could be on 360) is it would be on multiple disks. Secondly it would have inferior graphics.

So what you're saying is the gameplay is average and the only good the game brings is pushing the envolope on graphics? ^^

Tease.

Around the Network

Even though you're joking, I still don't see how you could interpret his post in such a way that implied that. Just making crap up is less funny. (But still slightly humorous...)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Squilliam said:
coolestguyever said:

So what you're saying is the gameplay is average and the only good the game brings is pushing the envolope on graphics? ^^

Everybody knows PS3 has the best graphics ever. Sony said so. It's the truth.

hey wait!
I haz idea!
If all PS3's are capable of running PS1 games nearly perfectly, why don't programmers just program PS3 games on the PS1 tools with add-ins?
Then they can have tons of shovelware for the PS3 and Gabe can be happy!
/fairly pointless post

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Gabe may talk a bit but his company are the best fps developers in the world and are at the forefront of the digital distribution business model. They continually make commercially and critically acclaimed games year in year out that have extremely innovative ideas behind them.

valve took six years and over 50 million dollars to produce half-life 2 so thats what you get if you spend twice the amount of time and money and yes valve can afford it they are privatly owned have large revenue streams and a lot of there sucess has been due to them embracing the modding community and picking up the talent and new ip potential there . as for gabe he just seems to be the big name behind valves product rather than the design guru that alot of people think he is

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot