By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why isnt a mouse used for the ps3

Why the hell are people in this thread trying to argue against the concept of console gaming? Go to the f*cking PC forum.

A console isn't diminished from adding more control methods. It's still a console.

Arguing that a mouse makes it a PC is the stupidest suggestion I've seen in a long time. PCs can use controllers, too, so the control input is not what differentiates a PC.

They can't play Metal Gear Solid 4, though, so stfu.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

Why consoles were better for gaming -

You put in the disc and you play 30 secs later. No installs, no bugs, no glitches, no patches, no bullshit.

What changed -

HDDs, patches, buggy and glitchy games mostly due to rushing, installs, hardware failures.

Games are no more glitchy than they ever were, it's just that now developers can patch them.

There is no negative to having a HD. There are no more hardware failures than there used to be (unless you are M$).

The benefits of consoles are still there: exclusive games that you don't have to check specifications for. That's it. That's what a console is.  That's why we all enjoy console games here.  why are you here?

vlad321 said:

Also name me 1 thing that a PC can't do that a PS3 can. Please, humor me.

Play MGS4.

EDIT: Not games? Okay, play Blu-ray discs. Unless you want to tack on $400 to your new PC.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@Kantor: You know your argument is bad when you contradict it in the same sentence you make it.

@Jo21: My PC doesn't have Vista or XP eating resources. Keep in mind you can install Linux to PS3. Although, the lack of RAM does limit the experience a little.

@Windbane: And that you're able to put the game in and start playing without extra hassle. That's the idea.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@Windbane: And that you're able to put the game in and start playing without extra hassle. That's the idea.

Yeah, blowing on cartridges to get them to work was really no hassle at all.

Installing a game is not a hassle, it's a few minute wait. Most games don't even require it.

Again, if you don't like consoles why are you posting on a predominantly console forum? What does having a mouse have to do with anything? PCs already use controllers. If you don't want a console, then fine, but it has nothing to do with PDF's argument.

I have a PC capable of playing Crysis, and yet I somehow still enjoy my PS3 and Wii. There are exclusive PS3 shooters that I'd like to have the option to use a mouse and keyboard with similar to UT3. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just like some games on the Wii working better with a GC or classic controller.  it's nice to have the option.

Around the Network
windbane said:
bdbdbd said:

Installing a game is not a hassle, it's a few minute wait. Most games don't even require it.

Again, if you don't like consoles why are you posting on a predominantly console forum? What does having a mouse have to do with anything? PCs already use controllers. If you don't want a console, then fine, but it has nothing to do with PDF's argument.

I have a PC capable of playing Crysis, and yet I somehow still enjoy my PS3 and Wii. There are exclusive PS3 shooters that I'd like to have the option to use a mouse and keyboard with similar to UT3. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just like some games on the Wii working better with a GC or classic controller.  it's nice to have the option.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather occasionally blow on a cartridge than wait 5+ minutes for an install.  Or, as Vlad pointed out, not do anything and just stick a disc into the Wii.

Anyway, I thought the point of this digression was whether or not having a mouse attached to a PS3 made a better or worse, and the argument for the worsening was that it likened it too much to a PC (and therefore one might as buy a PC), but in that case, wouldn't that mean the only reason one buys a PS3 was for an inferior method of control?  So, in other words I think it would make it better.

OT:  Yeah, that does seem a bit silly.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
appolose said:
windbane said:
bdbdbd said:

I have a PC capable of playing Crysis, and yet I somehow still enjoy my PS3 and Wii. There are exclusive PS3 shooters that I'd like to have the option to use a mouse and keyboard with similar to UT3. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just like some games on the Wii working better with a GC or classic controller. it's nice to have the option.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather occasionally blow on a cartridge than wait 5+ minutes for an install. Or, as Vlad pointed out, not do anything and just stick a disc into the Wii.

Anyway, I thought the point of this digression was whether or not having a mouse attached to a PS3 made a better or worse, and the argument for the worsening was that it likened it too much to a PC (and therefore one might as buy a PC), but in that case, wouldn't that mean the only reason one buys a PS3 was for an inferior method of control? So, in other words I think it would make it better.

OT: Yeah, that does seem a bit silly.

If you would rather not have a cartridge work all the time then have a one-time 5 minute install (only a few games are that long or longer), then I don't know what else to say.  I'd much rather know the game will work when I put it in, and with Blu-ray you don't have to worry about any scratches damaging the disc.

The PS3 already uses a mouse and keyboard, developers just need to support it.  Killzone 2 will not be on PC.  Why shouldn't I be able to use mouse and keyboard?  This topic really has nothing to do with PCs.  PCs can use controllers.  Why do I have to keep repeating this?  You can play PS1 games on a PC with an emulator and a USB controller.

No one is buying a PS3 just because of the controller.  They are buying it for games.  A console has exclusive games and it's easier to develop for than a PC because you know the exact specifications.

At least you said it would be better, so we agree there.

windbane said:
appolose said:

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather occasionally blow on a cartridge than wait 5+ minutes for an install. Or, as Vlad pointed out, not do anything and just stick a disc into the Wii.

Anyway, I thought the point of this digression was whether or not having a mouse attached to a PS3 made a better or worse, and the argument for the worsening was that it likened it too much to a PC (and therefore one might as buy a PC), but in that case, wouldn't that mean the only reason one buys a PS3 was for an inferior method of control? So, in other words I think it would make it better.

If you would rather not have a cartridge work all the time then have a one-time 5 minute install (only a few games are that long or longer), then I don't know what else to say.  I'd much rather know the game will work when I put it in, and with Blu-ray you don't have to worry about any scratches damaging the disc.

The PS3 already uses a mouse and keyboard, developers just need to support it.  Killzone 2 will not be on PC.  Why shouldn't I be able to use mouse and keyboard?  This topic really has nothing to do with PCs.  PCs can use controllers.  Why do I have to keep repeating this?  You can play PS1 games on a PC with an emulator and a USB controller.

No one is buying a PS3 just because of the controller.  They are buying it for games.  A console has exclusive games and it's easier to develop for than a PC because you know the exact specifications.

Perhaps this is more a matter of personal preference; I prefer taking a few seconds to clean a cartridge (however often it may happen) to the single event (or, in the event of HD filling, more) of installation.  I hate having to wait long periods of time (read 5 minutes) to play, so, to put it analogously, as one would prefer taking a pinprick on the finger once a day for a year to having my arm cut off by a hacksaw (the hacksaw for me, in this case, is installing (which is not for everyone else, mind you)).

I agree that the topic did not merit PC discussion, it's just that a digression occured when someone mentioned that it would make it too similar to the PC (which is why I brought up the controller issue, to counter the controller argument.  I wasn't saying that was the PS3 only distinguishing feature, just to cleat that up).

Oh yeah, it'd be much better :)

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
PDF said:
appolose said:

Anyway, I thought the point of this digression was whether or not having a mouse attached to a PS3 made a better or worse, 

That is not the point of discussion.  The point is why dont developers allow the gamers with the option of using a mouse since the PS3 supports it.  

For example:  We dont have to use a controller for RTS games on the PS3 if developers just made it possible to use the mouse.  

My guess is that the majority of developers don't think it's worth the time/money to implement it.

Using KZ2 as an example, it's going to sell X amount of millions, using just the standard PS3 controller. Say there's a certain subsection of PS3 owners that won't buy a shooter unless it has mouse controls, denoted by Y. So far to them, Y is not a big enough demographic to chase, with regards to the return on investment.

So at this moment: Profit from X > Profit from X and Y (since implementing Y would cost more, and take more time).

Not having hard numbers of owners with m + kb (hooked up to their PS3) doesn't help either. If developers were more aware of the numbers, then perhaps they would incorporate it into more games (ex. games that use the balance board for the wii - developers have solid numbers for it, through the sales of wii fit, and have determined that there are enough balance boards out there to create games that use the balance board as the main controller).

appolose said:
windbane said:
appolose said:

If you would rather not have a cartridge work all the time then have a one-time 5 minute install (only a few games are that long or longer), then I don't know what else to say. I'd much rather know the game will work when I put it in, and with Blu-ray you don't have to worry about any scratches damaging the disc.

The PS3 already uses a mouse and keyboard, developers just need to support it. Killzone 2 will not be on PC. Why shouldn't I be able to use mouse and keyboard? This topic really has nothing to do with PCs. PCs can use controllers. Why do I have to keep repeating this? You can play PS1 games on a PC with an emulator and a USB controller.

No one is buying a PS3 just because of the controller. They are buying it for games. A console has exclusive games and it's easier to develop for than a PC because you know the exact specifications.

Perhaps this is more a matter of personal preference; I prefer taking a few seconds to clean a cartridge (however often it may happen) to the single event (or, in the event of HD filling, more) of installation. I hate having to wait long periods of time (read 5 minutes) to play, so, to put it analogously, as one would prefer taking a pinprick on the finger once a day for a year to having my arm cut off by a hacksaw (the hacksaw for me, in this case, is installing (which is not for everyone else, mind you)).

I agree that the topic did not merit PC discussion, it's just that a digression occured when someone mentioned that it would make it too similar to the PC (which is why I brought up the controller issue, to counter the controller argument. I wasn't saying that was the PS3 only distinguishing feature, just to cleat that up).

Oh yeah, it'd be much better :)

fair enough.  I'll never understand why a person can't wait 5 minutes to install a game 1 time.  That's just a total lack of patience to me.  I love installs, myself, because I feel like most of the time it helps the game performance.  Sometimes it is developers compensating for not coding as well, sure, but it's not a big deal to me at all.   There will always be events in life that prevent me from playing a game for a few minutes, so a few minute install isn't bothersome at all to me.  Most of the time I have to wait months or years to play a game, so a few more minutes is not a big deal.  I guess you'll never agree with me on that, though.

Anyway, at least we agree on the topic at hand that the additional control method that the PS3 already supports would be appreciated.