By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why isnt a mouse used for the ps3

Because then it would be a PC. It has everything else: media functions, online, hard drive, HD video playback, patches and updates, a browser, USB ports, chat, ...

So then you might as well buy a PC - it'll be a similar price but totally own the PS3 in terms of performance, and you can still play most of the games (certainly all the ones that you'd like to play with a mouse).

Around the Network

Where'd you use the mouse? In your lap?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@PDF: ? Wii Remote performs the same function as the mouse, even when you sit comfortably in you chair/sofa, so i don't see the problem.

You actually could ask just as well why PS3 doesn't come with KB+mouse as default controllers.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

well u can buy the frag fx controller which has a mouse if u wanted, it works with all games but i think its kinda hard to find

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.

Soleron said:

Because then it would be a PC. It has everything else: media functions, online, hard drive, HD video playback, patches and updates, a browser, USB ports, chat, ...

So then you might as well buy a PC - it'll be a similar price but totally own the PS3 in terms of performance, and you can still play most of the games (certainly all the ones that you'd like to play with a mouse).

you're right, having a mouse makes it too similar to a PC and therefore not worth it...

what?

Around the Network
PDF said:
I have a small mouse pad I could put it on or I could just use some stand.

The only thing stopping a good rts on consoles in the mouse. The ps3 can use it so I dont see the problem.

I'm totally with you.  FPS and RTS should have a mouse option.  To say otherwise is wanting your control options to be limited for no reason.  Any USB mouse and keyboard works with the PS3.  UT3 was awesome with that feature.

End War was great with voice commands, but it would have been perfect with mouse/keyboard control AND voice control. That's the ultimate RTS.  Imagine micro-managing your troops with your mouse and keyboard while you give base commands with voice.

Soleron said:

That's extremely backwards logic.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
Soleron said:

Not really. If the PS3 has all of the games, features and downsides of a PC, why not buy a PC that's more powerful for the same price? Consoles are only good value when they differetiate themselves from a PC via controls, not having to worry about updates/patches/bugs, and total integration between software and hardware - all of which current consoles are losing.

Soleron said:
thetonestarr said:
Soleron said:

Not really. If the PS3 has all of the games, features and downsides of a PC, why not buy a PC that's more powerful for the same price? Consoles are only good value when they differetiate themselves from a PC via controls, not having to worry about updates/patches/bugs, and total integration between software and hardware - all of which current consoles are losing.

Soleron, all you are doing is deflecting, you aren't adding to the conversation.

Keyboard/mice do work with the PS3, in both the default menu, and also when one adds Linux to the PS3.

So, it is *like* a PC anyway.

What would be nice is "given the mouse works by default, wouldn't it be beneficial if more software supported it".

I don't think the lack of a mouse support prevents the developers from making a good RTS. It's just the audience is lacking on the consoles to make the expense justify the expectedly low profits.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger