By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

Demotruk said:

And...FPS games don't have good stories.

True. Good FPS's often sacrifice good plot for engagement. Most FPS plots would absolutely flop if they were original movies. However they are extremely engaging. Take Half Life for example. Everybody acts like it has a great plot, but it wouldn't be great if told in a novel or on film. Rather, it is extremely engaging. Same goes for Halo, etc.

Much like the movie Memento, the reason Half-Life's story is so great is because its presentation was so amazing at the time ... Before Half-Life storytelling in games was primarily told through the use of cut-scenes or in pages of text.

Around the Network

Garnett said:

"I was just gonna say the SAME thing,and Zombies generic? There is only what 2-3 Zombie games out the last 3 generations and how many were good what? just L4D aww,L4D is anything but generic."

---------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_undead-themed_video_games

thats a lot more than 2 or 3

The greatest story in an FPS was Doom, because they kept that shit in the manual so I didn't have to waste my time reading it (even though I did and loved it).

HappySqurriel said:
Demotruk said:

True. Good FPS's often sacrifice good plot for engagement. Most FPS plots would absolutely flop if they were original movies. However they are extremely engaging. Take Half Life for example. Everybody acts like it has a great plot, but it wouldn't be great if told in a novel or on film. Rather, it is extremely engaging. Same goes for Halo, etc.

Much like the movie Memento, the reason Half-Life's story is so great is because its presentation was so amazing at the time ... Before Half-Life storytelling in games was primarily told through the use of cut-scenes or in pages of text.

I agree except for the "at the time" comment. I think it's still the best way to experience a game story. Cutscenes and cinematics seem a step backwards to me.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Soriku said:
Barozi said:
Naum said:
Generetic?? please give me a PS360 FPS with the amount of costumised controles like The Counduit...

Graphics isn't everything you know, hell I rather take controles over graphics any day of the week.

Who said anything about graphics ? We're talking about the story

and tales of symphonia does?

Around the Network

I don't care about story. I dont' care if the enemies are aliens or zombies.

I play FPS to shoot things.

Give me good controls, give me a screen full of baddies, and give me multiplayer. You can tell whatever stupid story you want after that.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

lol this thread is funny

all fps are generic in there own sense. whether its the setting, story, plot, enemies, weapons, controls, whatever.

Yeah, the Conduit does look like a generic FPS, except for the "Eye of don't know what" thing, but it's the same for most FPS. I just recently played World at War for the Xbox360 to see how "great" this game is and as a Wii only owner what kind of games I'm missing. Well, the game is cool and all, but it's nothing extraordinary nor revolutionary. It's a generic FPS too, a very good one, but nothing that will make me buy another console.

Today's FPS are nothing compared to Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, those games make you think about your objectives and what/where to do/go. The only game that has made me feel something similar is the Metroid Prime series, and that's a FPA. FPS need something to refresh themselves, the only FPS I feel gave a step in the right direction is Elebits. Something like the Conduit mixed with the gravity weapons in Elebits could have a lot of potential.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

What sets The Conduit apart?

The best controls for a home console FPS.

People say The Conduit would be ignored on PS360. I disagree - if it came with a pointing device, it would sell like crazy.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

What the hell isnt basically every games story saving an area or world?

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!