By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How sony can sell more ps3s?

Ebay would have reflected a healthy premium if used sales were in such demand. The number of ebay auctions would be increased as well.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

There are three ways to implement BC:

• Hardware-only (the Wii approach and the old PS3 approach). Expensive unless the two machines are similar (like the Wii and GC are)
  • Software-only (the 360 approach), which requires either a much more powerful machine than the one you're emulating, or the use of HLE (high-level emulation). HLE doesn't work equally well for all games, for example when games do dirty tricks like accessing the hardware directly. At some points HLE essentially requires that you rewrite parts of the code to get the game working. It's not by coincidence that there have been tons of updates to 360's BC, and even now it's still not running all the games.
  • Software / hardware mix, what the half-BC PS3s do. Only works for some games and still comes at a cost.

The problem here seems that the software-only approach is very hard or impossible to use to emulate the PS2, the Xbox was a simpler architecture by comparison (less cores, more straightforward GPU etc). I read some things about PS2 PC emulators and it's not simple at all.

The conclusion is that either Sony coughs up money for BC or you get a very poor BC which can only run a few games.

It all boils down to what the cost of adding emotion engines/similar emulation to mgs4 80gb is. I really don't think it is more than $100. They could also release only 5% of ps3s as this model. I think it would become more important as ps2 gets phased out.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Vetteman94 said:
here is a question, why is BC such an issue for the PS3 and not for the 360? 360's BC is laughable. Yet people still buy the 360 without complaints. What sony needs to start doing is start offering PS1 and PS2 games on the PS store. And stop adding cost to the PS3 and start adding features that mke sense.

Because the 360 either has full BC, or can be "upgraded" to support it, in the case of the Arcade model?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Vetteman94 said:
here is a question, why is BC such an issue for the PS3 and not for the 360? 360's BC is laughable. Yet people still buy the 360 without complaints. What sony needs to start doing is start offering PS1 and PS2 games on the PS store. And stop adding cost to the PS3 and start adding features that mke sense.

Because the PS2 is harder to emulate.The Xbox is essentially a PC running a toned-down version of Windows, and games use a standard API to make graphics (DirectX).

This means an emulator can intercept those features (HLE style like the first Nintendo 64 emulators) and use the computer's GPU to draw the graphics.

Xbox games are more hardware-independent than PS2 games. How do I know? I've looked at the source code of one of the few existing PC emulators which can actually run some games (Cxbx), and I've read about PS2 emulation.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

BengaBenga said:
1. Pricecut (duh, the thing is expensive)
2. Get exclusive 3rd party content. With getting game like RE5, FFXIII and above all GTA4 the 360 gained loads of credibility as a serious contender. Sony needs some massive exclusive games.
3. BC

1. I know a pricecut will sell more ps3s. I'm talking about a 10% boost and trying to explain the Y.O.Y drop in ps3 sales.

2. Exclusive 3rd party content won't cut it. i don't think sony would be interested in a bidding war with M$. They'll be making their massive exclusives themselves. Speeding up the process is what they need to focus on. We can't wait 4 years for every killzone 2.

3. You got that right.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

Because the PS2 was much more wide spread than the Xbox, meaning people would like to have a machine that plays both PS2 and PS3 games, so they don't have to connect more than one machine to their TV and what not.

Also, the PS2 has a much bigger library of games people would like to play compared to the Xbox. I would love to have a BC PS3 so I could play some God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and so on, but I wont buy a PS2 for a couple of games.

Vetteman94 said:

I think the answer you're looking for is this. PS2 game library>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xbox. I don't think any sane person would argue otherwise. many people still play their old games and don't want 10 things connected to the TV. I gave away my ps1 when I got a ps2. I haven't discarded my ps2 yet (because I don't have any friends who don't have one lol).

NJ5 said:

There are three ways to implement BC:

• Hardware-only (the Wii approach and the old PS3 approach). Expensive unless the two machines are similar (like the Wii and GC are)
  • Software-only (the 360 approach), which requires either a much more powerful machine than the one you're emulating, or the use of HLE (high-level emulation). HLE doesn't work equally well for all games, for example when games do dirty tricks like accessing the hardware directly. At some points HLE essentially requires that you rewrite parts of the code to get the game working. It's not by coincidence that there have been tons of updates to 360's BC, and even now it's still not running all the games.
  • Software / hardware mix, what the half-BC PS3s do. Only works for some games and still comes at a cost.

The problem here seems that the software-only approach is very hard or impossible to use to emulate the PS2, the Xbox was a simpler architecture by comparison (less cores, more straightforward GPU etc). I read some things about PS2 PC emulators and it's not simple at all.

The conclusion is that either Sony coughs up money for BC or you get a very poor BC which can only run a few games.

PS2 developers did that a lot from what I've read due to various difficulties.

Squilliam said:
They need to stop following Microsoft around. They need to target a direction and get there first.

Microsoft -> Releases some massive FPS games 2005/2006/2007/2008
Sony -> Copy and release a couple of years later 2008/2009

Does anyone see how that strategy is flawed?

Also they need to kick Insomniac in the pants and get them to drag their quality up a notch as they release some important games for them.

Strategically Microsoft wishes to align the Console/PC worlds whereas Sony needs to keep them apart, to reduce Microsofts port potential. They need to release what we would define as console centric games which is where their powerbase is strongest.

You got a point there

Words Of Wisdom said:

PS2 developers did that a lot from what I've read due to various difficulties.

I've heard even different versions of PS2 hardware couldn't run some older games... I don't remember where, but I'm pretty sure I read it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957