By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How sony can sell more ps3s?

Pristine20 said:
FishyJoe said:
Pristine20 said:
FishyJoe said:

Ebay would have reflected a healthy premium if used sales were in such demand. The number of ebay auctions would be increased as well.

Well I can voucher that most who have the BC ps3s do not wish to sell them. That kind of reduces the available consoles to even auctioned on ebay for starters. Also if people pay $600 for used BC ps3s doesn't mean they'd pay $700. everyone has a limit but the potential is there and sony needs to tap it.

I argued a long time ago that removing BC was one of the biggest mistakes. However that boat has sailed. They can't keep flip flopping. At some point the number of different SKUs gets ridiculous.

The number of SKUs is already ridiculous at this point. I don't think adding one more that people actually want would make things any more ridiculous than they already are.

The problem is you have to create an entirely new infrastructure, from production, to sales and support. That is not trivial or inexpensive. Not to mention consumer confusion.

Around the Network
Hose said:
BC can be a nice selling point if you have a lot of PS2 games you can see the PS3 as an upgrade. Still play our old games and get new ones when you can. Telling people their old games are not going to work does bring up the 360, since you can not use any old games. Plus the 360 now has many of Sony once exclusives. Still if they add it back in with out rasing cost, I think that would work better for them. Then agian that would upset anyone who has gotten a PS3 with BC and wanted it.

Considering how many ps2 owners there are, I think it makes lots of sense. It was the single reason I chose ps3 over 360 despite it having an unworthy library at the time.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Just one more thing - as time advances, the less likely it is that BC (at least hardware-based one) will be implemented.

At some point Sony will want to make a Slim version of the PS3, and that will probably not fit PS2's chips inside. If you've looked at the PS3 motherboard pictures you probably noticed that those chips aren't small. It doesn't make sense to make a new PS2 BC model only to discontinue it soon after, when you start making a Slim.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

linlhutz said:
hduser said:

How about building them poorly so they'll fail in 15 months so you have to get a new one.  Oops thats already been used.

True. True. It has been done and everyone knows it. But that console outsold the PS3 by 50,000 worldwide this week and continues to widen the gap overall.

That's how great things are going for Sony.

Thanks for your input.

I bought a new 360 today to replace my faulty Xbox Elite Zephyr console, so score one for the Microsoft side.  I did buy an extended warranty on that original unit and it's lucky I did.  My unit did not RROD but it had no video/audio.  It would not have been covered by Microsoft's extended warranty policy.  I'm sure there are a small percentage of those sales are in the same boat as I am, not RROD, out of warranty, and not covered by Microsoft and ended up buying a new unit.

My PS3 with BC still works.  I rarely use the BC feature though.  I think it has very little real value.  It takes a tremendous effort for software BC because some studios started to exploit some features of the EE and GS that wasn't documented.  To account for all those tricks would be tremendous effort and wasted one at that.  Not only that, the vibration feature doesn't work and the new PS2 library is dwindling.  If you want BC, buy a PS2 for $120.

hduser said:

How about building them poorly so they'll fail in 15 months so you have to get a new one.  Oops thats already been used.

legend!

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Pristine20 said:
FishyJoe said:
Pristine20 said:
FishyJoe said:

Ebay would have reflected a healthy premium if used sales were in such demand. The number of ebay auctions would be increased as well.

Well I can voucher that most who have the BC ps3s do not wish to sell them. That kind of reduces the available consoles to even auctioned on ebay for starters. Also if people pay $600 for used BC ps3s doesn't mean they'd pay $700. everyone has a limit but the potential is there and sony needs to tap it.

I argued a long time ago that removing BC was one of the biggest mistakes. However that boat has sailed. They can't keep flip flopping. At some point the number of different SKUs gets ridiculous.

The number of SKUs is already ridiculous at this point. I don't think adding one more that people actually want would make things any more ridiculous than they already are.

The problem is you have to create an entirely new infrastructure, from production, to sales and support. That is not trivial or inexpensive. Not to mention consumer confusion.

Well consumers are already confused now especially with the 80 gig models. On ebgames, they are sold as 80 gb (new) vs 80 gb (4 usb slots). These can simply be marketed as ps3 vs Premium ps3 (BC model) much like 360 arcade, pro and elite. I've always though the naming given to the 360 SKU's made a lot more sense than sony simply using HDD size. It never mattered till they released another 80 gb. Also, the "premium" model would probably only be purchased by people who already know a lot about ps3s so I don't think support would be that big of a deal. It could even be an online sonystyle exclusive and I'm sure many would be happy to buy them rather than resorting to exhorbitantly priced used consoles.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I think you're underestimating the costs. You have to build an entirely new production line with different parts.

@ NJ5 They already have PS1 games for sale in the PS store. And those run on all PS3s with hardware/software emulation or not. I dont see how adding a full PS2 game to the store would still require emulation.

no price cut...

newer and better marketing. show them what the ps3 can do, and show it well. throw in bc. and there you go, got ps2 users jumping to the ps3.

Vetteman94 said:
@ NJ5 They already have PS1 games for sale in the PS store. And those run on all PS3s with hardware/software emulation or not. I dont see how adding a full PS2 game to the store would still require emulation.

Maybe because it has to be developed again without the emotion chip / engine...