By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How sony can sell more ps3s?

Words Of Wisdom said:
Vetteman94 said:
So you need a PS3 with 10 times the current processing power to run old PS2 games? OK, what was I thinking.

The problem is several fold here not the least bit that most (if not all) of the processing will be shunted straight to the PS3's processor.  Performance is still adequate on 80Gb because the GS chip is able to take part of the burden off the processor.  Getting the same performance with the processor handling all aspects of the game on its own would be especially tenuous especially considering the PS3 is already less than ideal at handling things which cannot take advantage of its 7 SPEs.

It's not simply a matter of "PS3 is stronger than PS2, it should work fine."  Full emulation requires way more than you might think.

Not to mention that the RAM in PS2 is actually faster than the one in the PS3.

Around the Network

I agreed with you, no need to explain any further. I cant take anymore.

Anyway BC is worthless anyway, havent used it in a year. They need to focus on cutting costs not adding them.

There are three ways to implement BC:

• Hardware-only (the Wii approach and the old PS3 approach). Expensive unless the two machines are similar (like the Wii and GC are)
  • Software-only (the 360 approach), which requires either a much more powerful machine than the one you're emulating, or the use of HLE (high-level emulation). HLE doesn't work equally well for all games, for example when games do dirty tricks like accessing the hardware directly. At some points HLE essentially requires that you rewrite parts of the code to get the game working. It's not by coincidence that there have been tons of updates to 360's BC, and even now it's still not running all the games.
  • Software / hardware mix, what the half-BC PS3s do. Only works for some games and still comes at a cost.

The problem here seems that the software-only approach is very hard or impossible to use to emulate the PS2, the Xbox was a simpler architecture by comparison (less cores, more straightforward GPU etc). I read some things about PS2 PC emulators and it's not simple at all.

The conclusion is that either Sony coughs up money for BC or you get a very poor BC which can only run a few games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

1. Pricecut (duh, the thing is expensive)
2. Get exclusive 3rd party content. With getting game like RE5, FFXIII and above all GTA4 the 360 gained loads of credibility as a serious contender. Sony needs some massive exclusive games.
3. BC

They need to stop following Microsoft around. They need to target a direction and get there first.

Microsoft -> Releases some massive FPS games 2005/2006/2007/2008
Sony -> Copy and release a couple of years later 2008/2009

Does anyone see how that strategy is flawed?

Also they need to kick Insomniac in the pants and get them to drag their quality up a notch as they release some important games for them.

Strategically Microsoft wishes to align the Console/PC worlds whereas Sony needs to keep them apart, to reduce Microsofts port potential. They need to release what we would define as console centric games which is where their powerbase is strongest.

Tease.

Around the Network
hduser said:

How about building them poorly so they'll fail in 15 months so you have to get a new one.  Oops thats already been used.

True. True. It has been done and everyone knows it. But that console outsold the PS3 by 50,000 worldwide this week and continues to widen the gap overall.

That's how great things are going for Sony.

Thanks for your input.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

Pristine20 said:
smallflyingtaco said:
For the most part I think that is a mistake. The high price point buyers by this point are pretty much mined out -- there are some for certain but I do not think enough to matter. The feature is not a bad one but if it requires raising the price I think they will end up with a lot of stock they will not be able to sell or making these in extremely small runs which is less cost efficient.

It would be marketed as a "premium" model. This is like how everyone complains of the price of ps360 games at launch but collectors verions sometimes sell better than regular versions. Why? Because there are some who are interested in the extras.

I know the exact group of people your talking about, the ones who own four copies of the same DVD because each havve different special features.  How big is that group in terms of PS3 buyers, how many of those do not have a PS3 with BC already, and how much are they willing to spend?  When you take all those into account I think the result is not going to be a large enough number to justify the product.  CE games sell early and then set of the shelf for ages until one of those people finds it months or years later, from your example your plan is like re-releasing the CE but years afterwards when the CE time has passed and it is just an expensive version then.  That all makes this an unsafe move in my opinion.  Premium systems like the 360 Elite and the PS3 Uncharted bundle are safe as they do not add a lot of cost to the manufacturing, adding back BC is supposedly pricey.  These Premium products are trying to grab some of that same market your talking about, you want a black 360 without voiding your warranty for instance you have to get the Elite, but if they don't sell well they can drop the price later at a smaller loss because they at least in theory have a wide margin between price and production cost.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Vetteman94 said:
I agreed with you, no need to explain any further. I cant take anymore.

Anyway BC is worthless anyway, havent used it in a year
. They need to focus on cutting costs not adding them.

...and I use it almost every day I run on my ps3. It's obviously not worthless if many pay $600+ for used ps3s with BC. they won't be adding costs to the regular model. I'm talking of creating a "premium" model.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

They certainly need to get their advertising and PR in check. Drop the pretentiousness / shit-talking and get that nice Yoshida fellow in a position to make more important decisions.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

here is a question, why is BC such an issue for the PS3 and not for the 360? 360's BC is laughable. Yet people still buy the 360 without complaints. What sony needs to start doing is start offering PS1 and PS2 games on the PS store. And stop adding cost to the PS3 and start adding features that mke sense.