By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anyone else find odd that theres 51.26M Psp Shipped

@emilie autumn: I highly doubt there are over 7 million PSPs sitting on shelves.

Around the Network

That 51.26 figure is mixed with production shipments and therefore is inflated. Sony now releases normal shipment figures and the PSP is at 49.58m.

NJ5 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

VGChartz was probably at least 2M low on 2008 sales, and lifetime sales are just plain wrong. That's correct.

Worse still, is the Ps2. It is without a doubt undertracked by over 10M lifetime.

I think Sony may include replacement units in their PS2 numbers. It was not long ago that they started considering shipments as warehouse to retailer as opposed to factory to warehouse.

Don't you remember when they did that? There was a lot of discussion about it, Sqrl even made an animated gif to explain it.

Nope, no clue about this.

So the Ps2 number includes replacements then. Could the same be the case for the PsP? When did this happen?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Aj_habfan said:
Where's Fishyjoe. I'm sure he has something to add to discredit it.

Yeah let's make cheap content-less replies instead of actually figuring out what's happening.

Don't be lame!

@Oyvoyvoyv: I will come back and dig some links later, got some stuff to do now!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@Oyvoyvoyv Well I need to find the exact source but I believe the total was around 42 million shipped at the end of Quarter 2.

Around the Network

Does that 51.26 million include the manufactured totals or just shipped totals?

On April 1, 2007, Sony changed their unit reporting method to the industry standard method of "sold to retail".  Prior to that all numbers provided were manufactured units.

They usually have several million dollars worth of assets in their warehouses so the manufactured vs shipped figures will have some large discrepancies.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

On April 1, 2007, Sony changed their unit reporting method to he industry of "sold to retail". Prior to that all numbers provided were manufactured units.

They usually have several million dollars worth of assets in their warehouses so the manufactured vs shipped figures will have some large discrepancies.

Are you saying they counted the warehouse ones, then counted the same ones after shipped? I doubt that.

Either way, those ones in the warehouses from 2007 are sold now.

Why didn't anybody read my post?

Those figures are mixed with the old method of production shipments. They took the figures till March 07 and added the normal shipments onto that, which skews the number.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
NJ5 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

VGChartz was probably at least 2M low on 2008 sales, and lifetime sales are just plain wrong. That's correct.

Worse still, is the Ps2. It is without a doubt undertracked by over 10M lifetime.

I think Sony may include replacement units in their PS2 numbers. It was not long ago that they started considering shipments as warehouse to retailer as opposed to factory to warehouse.

Don't you remember when they did that? There was a lot of discussion about it, Sqrl even made an animated gif to explain it.

Nope, no clue about this.

So the Ps2 number includes replacements then. Could the same be the case for the PsP? When did this happen?

Why would their be a lot of PSP replacements? The consoles work just fine!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Aj_habfan said:
Viper1 said:

On April 1, 2007, Sony changed their unit reporting method to he industry of "sold to retail". Prior to that all numbers provided were manufactured units.

Are you saying they counted the warehouse ones, then counted the same ones after shipped? I doubt that.

Either way, those ones in the warehouses from 2007 are sold now.

No, I'm just asking if this is a manufactured total.    Their shipped units shouldn't be that high.  Shipments should be in the 49 million range.

Still a good deal higher than VGC, but 51.26 doesn't match up with their reported numbers for the past several year when you add last quarters shipments in.

The rEVOLution is not being televised