By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's next AAA game (90%)? Which will it be?

windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
I think by the end of this generation Wii will have triple the amount of AAA games that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have combined.

What do you think those games will be this year?  The Wii has a lot of catching up to do.

The Legend of Zelda, Mario, 100s of new IPs, Kirby, Kid Icaus, Fire Emblem, Starfox, F-zero, DOnkey Kong, Metriod Prime, Pikmin, 3rd party IPs, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and much much more.

Around the Network
c0rd said:

Windbane, you're really stretching with your exclusive AAA argument. I'm going to assume you don't know this, because look here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=58394

Oh, look at that. Using your method, the 360 only has had 3 AAA exclusives so far. The PS3 has had 2.

I guess this console gen has been really awful, huh?

OT: MadWorld has a shot. If it doesn't make it... it will be a while for the next one. If you're including WiiWare, it's possible a breakout hit will pop up, but if not, it'll be something that comes out in the holidays. Not that I care that much about metacritic scores anyway...

If the Wii has nearly 50% market share, and has 3 true exclusives compared to 3 for 360 and 2 for PS3, you don't find that odd?

Edit: Oh, and PS3 has 3 now because Killzone 2 is at 95% with 18 reviews.

Edit 2:  If you just look at 90% games or above, regardless of exclusivity, 360 has 18, PS3 has 10, and Wii has 8.  it's just that half of the Wii's is playable on the last generation hardware.  I can play 2 of them on my PS3 because it has backwards compatibility.  I finished RE4 recently on my PS3.  Whichever way you look at it, it's very odd.

Nothing currently announced has much of a chance at AAA

YesWiiCan said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
I think by the end of this generation Wii will have triple the amount of AAA games that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have combined.

What do you think those games will be this year? The Wii has a lot of catching up to do.

The Legend of Zelda, Mario, 100s of new IPs, Kirby, Kid Icaus, Fire Emblem, Starfox, F-zero, DOnkey Kong, Metriod Prime, Pikmin, 3rd party IPs, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and much much more.

What makes you think sequels to Fire Emblem and No More Heroes will be rated over 90% and/or sell a lot when the originals didn't?

is Donkey Kong confirmed?  that would be interesting.  Red Steel 1 was terrible.  Where are these 100s of new IPs coming from?

windbane said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Just in reference to the visuals in RE4 PS2 vs. Gamecube

As you can see the PS2 version lacked all of the dynamic lighting and particle effects that were in the Gamcube version ... Its difficult to see in youtube videos but there was also some degrading of the ammount of geometry onscreen and the textures were (often) lower quality on the PS2 version.

The PS2 version may have had more content but was graphically inferior by quite a wide margin.

Not to mention it was far more satisfying to do a lot of the context sensitive cut scenes with the GC controller and reguarding the geometry and textures, they were MUCH worse on the PS2 especially if you compared the trees on GC to PS2 you could see it the best cause while GC had many branches the PS2 only had a few. It might be me and playing the GC game but the PS2 seemed easier but that may either be due to AI or just experince.

Wow. First of all, HappyRat, you are hypocrite if you are trying to say the GC version was better because the graphics were better. I see that lighting is better, but saying "wide margin" is a stretch. I'd much rather have hours of extra content than slightly better graphics.

Secondly, Maxwell Smart, the context sensitive cutscenes were more satisfying? Really? Did they change them for the PS2? Give me a break. As for the game being easier, yeah, perhaps it was the fact that YOU PLAYED THE GAME BEFORE. You may be on to something there.

Regardless, my original point is that RE4 was not exclusive to Wii. The Wii has 3 true exclusives rated 90% or higher on metacritic and during the same time the PS2 has 2 with 1 additional a month before. I'm just saying that it is very odd for the leading system to have those stats.

Maxwell, you can continue to ignore my valid points that many think Okami looked better on PS2 than the Wii if you want. Even Onimusha, who I'm pretty sure hates my guts, agreed with me there. The controls were reportedly inconsistent, as well. If you don't believe me check the reviews. The point is that the game isn't exclusive.

Edit: and for the record, regarding SMG and MP3 vs the GC versions, I am just going by comparison videos similar to the one Happy posted above. Look at them yourself on youtube. I'm not going to rehash that topic again, because most people that own Wii's have come to terms that the graphics aren't a lot better than the GC/Xbox, and it doesn't change their enjoyment of it.

@ the Underlined - what's up with the name calling?  Seriously you throw around names and even call people ignorant, mind you name calling is against the rules.

And yes the context sensitive cut scenes were more satisfying because you got an ergonomic controller with a rather large button to press when you have to sprint then the doding done with the analog shoulder buttons something that was adopted all around this generation. 

As far as Okami goes, again why don't you play it so you can actually judge for yourself, for me personally I haven't had an issue, and the vibrant colors, solid framerate, widescreen, and quicker and easier brush strokes make Okami on Wii a much better game.

And it's very easy to just turn your argument around, the Wii has the highest rated exclusive game this generation, period.  See how easy that is to turn around?  Why hasn't the 360 in the extra year it's been out not have a title to top this?  Or PS3 with it's extra power, blu-ray support, and sixaxis motion controller been able to top it?  Really man just enjoy the games instead of trying to put down a system you don't like it's just silly.

I ignore your points for the simple fact that you've obviously never played the games you try to tear down, much like in the other debates, you tried to say Metroid Prime 3 doesn't look any better then Metroid Prime 2 & 1 when any half blind old lady with her glasses still being repaired at lens crafters could tell the improvements if they actually PLAYED the game instead of looking at some grainy low res you tube video most likely captured with a camera or a cell phone.  

Onimusha isn't that great of a reference just so you know. 

But it boils down to is that you blast the Wii day in and out yet you've obviously never played the very games you talk bad about, either that or you're a troll, which is worse, I don't know which is worse for you personally to either lack the knowledge of the topic you're trying to debate or just troll cause you don't like the Wii.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Well, I assume he means squirrel, but it's misspelled and I had to look it up to know I was spelling it correctly. if not, I have no idea what it means. If calling him Happy Rat is offensive I'm sure you can get me banned for it. Btw, no credit for calling you Maxwell Smart? *sigh*

As for calling someone "ignorant," please look up the definition because that's not name calling.

You are seriously nitpicking with the cutscenes, dude. it's just a preference of controller. I much prefer symmetric controls, myself, but I wouldn't ever say a quicktime cutscene (which I hate anyway) makes 1 version of a game better.

I have played both versions of Okami, all versions of Mario, and MP3. However, I can also read the reviews I posted and assume they aren't making things up. I played RE4 on my PS3 and it was fine visually. gametrailer/youtube/etc comparisons are usually fairly accurate, but if you disagree, fine. You can continue to believe that the games were far superior on Wii, but most reviews don't seem to denote a big difference. RE4 on PS2 is better than RE4 on GC because it has 6 hours of extra content. If you don't care about that, either, then fine, disagree.

from my post above:

If the Wii has nearly 50% market share, and has 3 true exclusives compared to 3 for 360 and 2 for PS3, you don't find that odd?  Oh, and PS3 has 3 now because Killzone 2 is at 95% with 18 reviews. If you just look at 90% games or above, regardless of exclusivity, 360 has 18, PS3 has 10, and Wii has 8. it's just that half of the Wii's is playable on the last generation hardware. I can play 2 of them on my PS3 because it has backwards compatibility. I finished RE4 recently on my PS3. Whichever way you look at it, it's very odd.

You used the word attack, I believe, but I'm not doing that. I am saying I don't expect many AAA games because so far there haven't been a lot. I said I found it odd that the dominating system doesn't have more, but there are many reasons for that that aren't going to change.

You guys need to get outside.

windbane said:
dahuman said:
windbane said:
dahuman said:
windbane said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
windbane said:

I don't expect many Wii games to score in the 90s.

So far, there are only 3 games that are exclusive to the Wii that have scored 90 or more: Brawl, Galaxy, and MP3. Twlight was a GC port, Ocami and RE4 were PS2 ports (after RE4 was GC port but they also included added PS2 content), World of Goo is on PC, and Rock Band 2 is multiplat.

To me, that is stunning considering the Wii is nearly at 50% market share.

The PS2 has almost had as many exclusives over 90% in that time: GoW2 and Persona 4. Hell, FF12 came out a month before the Wii, so it's almost tied. Stunning.

It's Okami... and RE4 is a GC port with the PS2 content added since it doesn't have the dumbed down visuals of the PS2 version, which me and my friend was playing the Wii version and GC versions side by side, it was hard to tell at times but it looked like trees had more branches and such on the Wii version, though both versions stand the test of time visually so it doesn't matter much.

Regardless, the PS2 version was better before the Wii version came out. Okami looks better on PS2, too.

I'm not trying to put down the Wii, I just find it rather shocking that there aren't more quality games out. Like I say above, the PS2 almost has as many true exclusives as the Wii. Now, if you only have 1 console there are plenty of games to play, and I realize many prefer the controls for Okami (despite reports of it being inconsistent) and RE4. I'm just saying that it's been a strange platform so far.

Did you... just say that.... Okami looks better on the PS2? and the PS2 version of RE4 was better than the Gamecube one??????? wow man......... I uh, I think you need help like, right now, you need help man.

I see you missed the thread comparing the 2 versions of Okami. The Wii version didn't have the same paper effect. Otherwise, they were the same graphically. Some prefer the Wii version because it's more colorful, but the PS2 version looks better to many, including myself.

RE4 on PS2 contained extra content that the GC version didn't have.

Have you even played these games?

Do you understand that the paper effect was to cover up how bad the game would look otherwise on the PS2 right? The Wii version is more colorful because there was no need for them to cover up the otherwise inferior look that was on the PS2 with your so famed paper effect. The Cube version of RE4 looked way better than the PS2 version which came out way later, the extra features is pretty much the same thing with 1 more level and a different character model+some texts which of course makes it ZOMG SO MUCH BETTER! My ass, I beat it just because I could and I felt empty inside afterwards and quickly moved on to Shadow of the Colossus for more brain damage and I don't know why I do these things to myself. But then again it did save me money since I didn't have to buy the Wii version so that was a bonus indeed. Of course you know, PS2 was the greatest console ever and every game that came out on it is better than everything else, that and Chuck Norris doesn't do push ups, he pushes the world down.

Okami according to IGN:  "It is simply one of Wii's best looking games, a truth solidified by the fact that the adventure arrives on the console with some visual enhancements, including all-new 480p (progressive scan) and 16:9 widescreen modes.

Yet, it's not without its graphic imperfections. The original version of Okami featured a very pronounced filter, which gave the impression that the Nippon world Amaterasu explored was rendered onto paper. The Wii iteration also includes the paper filter, but it is not nearly as obvious or noticeable -- it's much subtler and thus far less convincing, a disappointment since the filter actually added to the authentic presentation of the game. Okami's framerate, meanwhile, often slowed down on PlayStation 2 and Ready at Dawn has made no attempt to improve the fluidity for the Wii build despite the fact that Nintendo's system is more powerful. The admittedly still-stunning adventure therefore remains hampered by regular fluidity dips in wide-open areas."

1up:  "The papery-looking graphical filter is toned down to accommodate the Wii hardware, but it wasn't something I noticed until I was told about it (and even then, it wasn't a big deal). While all my Okami time on the Wii was like revisiting a distant (and yet-unmatched) dream, the new motion controls were a slightly rude awakening. If you haven't played the original, it will just seem like an oddly challenging experience due to the controls, whereas fans of the first should recognize it for what it is -- a worthy but imperfect port."

A matter of opinion, as I've said.  Imo, the PS2 version looks better.  If you disagree, it doesn't change my main point at all.

RE4:  1up: "The game suffers little in the transition to the PS2, unless you're willing to sit with the GameCube version side-by-side. Even then, despite some dithered textures and loss of geometry, the PS2 trumps the GameCube original with Progressive Scan and true widescreen mode (the GameCube version faked that funk)."  That is hardly a "wide margin" and it's a joke to say that it's similar to Wii-PS3 graphical differences as you say in the post below the one I quote here.

As for the extra content:  "But the big question is if the extras were worth waiting for, and to that the answer is "yes." While the new unlockable costumes are mostly silly and just for fun, the new weapons (laser rifle for Leon, explosive crossbow for Ada) are welcome additions. But the most important new ingredient is by far the Ada Wong sidestory, "Separate Ways." It is worth the price of admission alone to play this. It's at least as long as most of the previous Resident Evil games and then some. Far less throwaway than mini-game features like "The Mercenaries," Separate Ways shows events you might already find familiar, but as viewed from Ada's perspective. Take for example the opening scene, with Leon fighting off an entire village swarming in through windows, over rooftops, and breaking down doors. The trick here is to hold the mob off until a church bell rings, hurling you headlong into the opening credits sequence. What the GameCube version didn't show you was why the villagers ran at the sound of the bell, or what caused it to ring. Separate Ways shows you. This simple spin on the opening scenario enriches the story, and makes you eager to see it through to the end. Sometimes you didn't even know there was a question to be asked until Separate Ways gives you the answer, and with the developers obviously having given Ada Wong plenty of their attention, she's great to look at in action, flipping up onto ledges, spin-kicking doors open, and working that pump-action shotgun like she was born with it. This "gaiden" clocks in at a good six-plus hours, too, making it a worthwhile investment of your time once the game proper comes to a close. Of course, with many of the game's secrets unlocked by completing Separate Ways, you'll find even more reason to replay the best survival-horror game yet."

funny, i sometimes wonder if those people really played the same games i did. when i played ada, everything was a de-ja-vu of leon, why the hell would i even care why they ran at the sound of the bell? zomg now i know! this feature is awesome man, it totally beats the atomsphere of the gamecube version! and during the year of 2005, everybody had a HD TV! that makes so much sense as to why the PS2 version is so much more superior even though it looked worse on every account side by side! it's my turn to ask you, have you played the games? The paper filter was a CHEAT that clover came up with to compensate for the PS2's hardware limitations, it's not the other way around despite what people believe, and it was extremely clever work and very good low lvl programming, but nowhere as beautiful as the Wii version was overall because of the blurring of it. good for you that you like the feel of the filter though. oh on a side note, if they actually bothered to release a second version of RE4 on the cube with 480p and wide screen that you'd very much care about, it'd have looked better than the interlaced version which was already way above the ps2 version, think about that, oh wait a second, yeah..... at least we agree on that part.

Ok, you didn't care about 6 hours of content that revealed what Ada was doing the whole time, and you can't accept that the graphical difference in the games isn't a big factor in the enjoyment of it (which is ironic considering you are defending the Wii against HD systems as well).

I don't care what the reason was for the aesthetics in Okami, the paper feel was more suited to the game, imo.

I wish you'd come to terms with people not agreeing with you. You point to that video showing major graphical differences but I don't see it that way. I see it the same as SMG to SMS comparisons and MP3 to MP2 comparisons. If you think the differences are so major and have such an effect on gameplay, I hope you have an HD system.

Regardless of which game was better looking to you, you can't deny the facts I've posted about the Wii's list of 90+ games being rather low for a system that has 50% market share. I'm not sure why you continue to ignore my main point.

windbane said:

Ok, you didn't care about 6 hours of content that revealed what Ada was doing the whole time, and you can't accept that the graphical difference in the games isn't a big factor in the enjoyment of it (which is ironic considering you are defending the Wii against HD systems as well).

I don't care what the reason was for the aesthetics in Okami, the paper feel was more suited to the game, imo.

I wish you'd come to terms with people not agreeing with you. You point to that video showing major graphical differences but I don't see it that way. I see it the same as SMG to SMS comparisons and MP3 to MP2 comparisons. If you think the differences are so major and have such an effect on gameplay, I hope you have an HD system.

Regardless of which game was better looking to you, you can't deny the facts I've posted about the Wii's list of 90+ games being rather low for a system that has 50% market share. I'm not sure why you continue to ignore my main point.

I don't really wanna be part of this argument, but I have to step in here. There is no way the Ada content was 6 hours.