By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's next AAA game (90%)? Which will it be?

windbane said:

Ah, I see the comparison. First of all, the notion that you should doubt a mediocre-to-bad game's sequel is valid. I wasn't convinced Killzone 2 would be good until I played the beta.

That said, there are some slight differences between those 2 series: Killzone 1 is a little better at 70%, and Killzone: Liberation, also developed by GG, is at 77%. GG was also bought by Sony and Sony tends to put out quality first/second party games (similar to Nintendo). They received help from several developers that work with Sony.  The expectations were raised because of that.

Well, as you are clearly stating, a developer can produce a higher quality title based on a mediocre game if they receive the necessary support ...

The only thing we really know about Red Steel 2 was that it was initially scheduled for a mid 2008 release and Ubisoft delayed the game in order to rework it because the Wii was becomming a higher priority system. Since then Ubisoft has said some discouraging things, and released some encouraging games, which means that if the game is still in production we don't know what direction it will be taken in. Still, there is reason to believe that if Ubisoft is still working on Red Steel 2 it will be a better game than Red Steel.

Around the Network

Red Steel was completed in less than a year and was a launch title, it was the first FPS on Wii so it wasn't that bad considering.

Red Steel 2 will have been in development for over two years when it hits retail and will support motion plus. It'll have a slew of games in the genre to look to for how to do things right.

If Red Steel 2 doesn't average around 85% on metacritic then I'd be very suprised and annoyed at Ubisoft. 90%+ is a very good possibility and I'm sure it is a AAA game in the true sense of the term.

Happy, I agree (obviously, considering KZ2) that a developer can improve upon a mediocre game in a sequel. However, I don't think it's common to go from 63% to 90%. GG went from 70% to 77% with Killzone (granted, different hardware) before producing Killzone 2.

Another example is Resistance, which was also a launch title so it launched the same weekend as Red Steel. It also had 2 years of development and only went from 86% to 87%. Red Steel obviously has a lot more room for improvement, though.

I'm not saying it's a sure bet to suck, I'm just saying that it's unlikely to be a AAA game.

"I don't think it's common to go from 63% to 90%."

Who was claiming it was common. They're just claiming it COULD happen.

And things like that have. Look at Street Fighter vs Street Fighter II.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"I don't think it's common to go from 63% to 90%."

Who was claiming it was common. They're just claiming it COULD happen.

And things like that have. Look at Street Fighter vs Street Fighter II.

Yeah, I'll never deny it could happen.  Every Wii game could suddenly score over 90%, but that's not likely to happen and this thread was about predicting the next AAA game.  My contention is it could be awhile, and I don't think many are going to predict Red Steel 2 will be one of them.  Then again, this is the Wii forum on vgchartz, so I'm likely wrong on that.

Around the Network

But look at Call of Duty 3 vs World At War. The first was rushed, and considered mediocre. The other was lauded, even if it lacked the freshness of 4.

So rushed vs polished games can get significantly higher scores.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

yeah, but still only 69% to 83%. Just sayin =)

Again, lacked the freshness of 4, and was in a setting they were biased against, so that hurt the rating.

Why does it matter if some snot-nosed review rates a game highly. Whenever i want to know if a game is quality, i generally look for customer reviews, since, you know...im a customer. I will relate more to a fellow customer than some guy that gets paid to play game after game on luxery entertainment systems.

But ill just follow along with this. I dont think The Conduit will hit a 90%+ on Metacritic (i will buy it anyway though). I think Madworld has a higher chance, but i dont think itll reach it either. Same goes for House of the Dead, or Tenchu.

I think Little King Story, Pikmin 3, and maybe Muramasa Demon Blade will reach 90%.

__XBrawlX__ said:
The Conduit, Fatal Frame, Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, DdoC, etc.

There are many possible candidates....

Man, I don't see how Monster Hunter 3 can get that high of a score. Every game in the series has gotten hammered by critics.

Pikmin 3 does have a good chance though. And does Mad World.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.