By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii's next AAA game (90%)? Which will it be?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
windbane said:

Ok, you didn't care about 6 hours of content that revealed what Ada was doing the whole time, and you can't accept that the graphical difference in the games isn't a big factor in the enjoyment of it (which is ironic considering you are defending the Wii against HD systems as well).

I don't care what the reason was for the aesthetics in Okami, the paper feel was more suited to the game, imo.

I wish you'd come to terms with people not agreeing with you. You point to that video showing major graphical differences but I don't see it that way. I see it the same as SMG to SMS comparisons and MP3 to MP2 comparisons. If you think the differences are so major and have such an effect on gameplay, I hope you have an HD system.

Regardless of which game was better looking to you, you can't deny the facts I've posted about the Wii's list of 90+ games being rather low for a system that has 50% market share. I'm not sure why you continue to ignore my main point.

I don't really wanna be part of this argument, but I have to step in here. There is no way the Ada content was 6 hours.

And it wasn't but it's beating a dead horse and I'm rather tired of doing so, though it'll pop up time and again I'm done with it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
windbane said:

Ok, you didn't care about 6 hours of content that revealed what Ada was doing the whole time, and you can't accept that the graphical difference in the games isn't a big factor in the enjoyment of it (which is ironic considering you are defending the Wii against HD systems as well).

I don't care what the reason was for the aesthetics in Okami, the paper feel was more suited to the game, imo.

I wish you'd come to terms with people not agreeing with you. You point to that video showing major graphical differences but I don't see it that way. I see it the same as SMG to SMS comparisons and MP3 to MP2 comparisons. If you think the differences are so major and have such an effect on gameplay, I hope you have an HD system.

Regardless of which game was better looking to you, you can't deny the facts I've posted about the Wii's list of 90+ games being rather low for a system that has 50% market share. I'm not sure why you continue to ignore my main point.

I don't really wanna be part of this argument, but I have to step in here. There is no way the Ada content was 6 hours.

You are right, that 6 hours probably includes the other additional modes that were added.  If you read the reviews I posted, that's where I got 6 hours from.  Whatever the time, I thought it was interesting playing as her.

windbane said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Just in reference to the visuals in RE4 PS2 vs. Gamecube

As you can see the PS2 version lacked all of the dynamic lighting and particle effects that were in the Gamcube version ... Its difficult to see in youtube videos but there was also some degrading of the ammount of geometry onscreen and the textures were (often) lower quality on the PS2 version.

The PS2 version may have had more content but was graphically inferior by quite a wide margin.

Not to mention it was far more satisfying to do a lot of the context sensitive cut scenes with the GC controller and reguarding the geometry and textures, they were MUCH worse on the PS2 especially if you compared the trees on GC to PS2 you could see it the best cause while GC had many branches the PS2 only had a few. It might be me and playing the GC game but the PS2 seemed easier but that may either be due to AI or just experince.

Wow. First of all, HappyRat, you are hypocrite if you are trying to say the GC version was better because the graphics were better. I see that lighting is better, but saying "wide margin" is a stretch. I'd much rather have hours of extra content than slightly better graphics.

Secondly, Maxwell Smart, the context sensitive cutscenes were more satisfying? Really? Did they change them for the PS2? Give me a break. As for the game being easier, yeah, perhaps it was the fact that YOU PLAYED THE GAME BEFORE. You may be on to something there.

Regardless, my original point is that RE4 was not exclusive to Wii. The Wii has 3 true exclusives rated 90% or higher on metacritic and during the same time the PS2 has 2 with 1 additional a month before. I'm just saying that it is very odd for the leading system to have those stats.

Maxwell, you can continue to ignore my valid points that many think Okami looked better on PS2 than the Wii if you want. Even Onimusha, who I'm pretty sure hates my guts, agreed with me there. The controls were reportedly inconsistent, as well. If you don't believe me check the reviews. The point is that the game isn't exclusive.

Edit: and for the record, regarding SMG and MP3 vs the GC versions, I am just going by comparison videos similar to the one Happy posted above. Look at them yourself on youtube. I'm not going to rehash that topic again, because most people that own Wii's have come to terms that the graphics aren't a lot better than the GC/Xbox, and it doesn't change their enjoyment of it.

Being that people argue how much more powerful the XBox 360 or PS3 are based on minute details that are only visible when you zoom in, I don’t think that it is all that unfair to say that fairly large noticeable improvements that are clear on a heavily compressed youtube video counts as being a wide margin.

Beyond this, at what point did I argue that the PS2 version was worse because of the visuals?

Well, I don't argue over minute details between 360 and PS3 games, and I really do not see any "wide margin" of difference between the 2 versions of RE4. The very idea of posting a graphical comparison as if it's a big difference in comparison to the GC version not having a significant amount of extra content is implying that there can be a debate as to which version is better.

If you are a graphics whore, and prefer what is to you a wide margin of difference, then I suppose there's an argument. Otherwise, I was correct all along in saying that the PS2 version of RE4 was better than the GC version because it had more content.

The whole point that keeps getting left out when you guys quote me is that the Wii has a relatively low amount of exclusives that are rated 90% or higher. That is my reasoning for not expecting many to follow since half of those rated 90% or higher are ports anyway. There are very few original Wii games that are rated highly.

All the games coming out this month seem to have little to no reviews, indicating the terrible trend for Wii games is going to continue this month. I hope this Mad World game everyone keeps hyping up turns out to be good, because it's not been pretty lately, imo.

For the record, most of the Wii games I've enjoyed are in the 80-90% range, so I'm not saying there isn't fun to be had and that a game has to be 90% to be great. It's just 1 of the signs that the Wii is underperforming when it comes to software so far. I think there would be a similar result if you compare 80-90% games from the 3 consoles.

windbane said:
Well, I don't argue over minute details between 360 and PS3 games, and I really do not see any "wide margin" of difference between the 2 versions of RE4. The very idea of posting a graphical comparison as if it's a big difference in comparison to the GC version not having a significant amount of extra content is implying that there can be a debate as to which version is better.

If you are a graphics whore, and prefer what is to you a wide margin of difference, then I suppose there's an argument. Otherwise, I was correct all along in saying that the PS2 version of RE4 was better than the GC version because it had more content.

The whole point that keeps getting left out when you guys quote me is that the Wii has a relatively low amount of exclusives that are rated 90% or higher. That is my reasoning for not expecting many to follow since half of those rated 90% or higher are ports anyway. There are very few original Wii games that are rated highly.

All the games coming out this month seem to have little to no reviews, indicating the terrible trend for Wii games is going to continue this month. I hope this Mad World game everyone keeps hyping up turns out to be good, because it's not been pretty lately, imo.

For the record, most of the Wii games I've enjoyed are in the 80-90% range, so I'm not saying there isn't fun to be had and that a game has to be 90% to be great. It's just 1 of the signs that the Wii is underperforming when it comes to software so far. I think there would be a similar result if you compare 80-90% games from the 3 consoles.

You’re also not taking into consideration that there is a noticeable bias in reviewers that means that "90% or higher" games tend come from a couple of genres, and tend to be the kinds of games that took 2 to 3 years to develop on the PS2/Gamecube/XBox and can take 4 to 5 years to develop on the PS3/XBox 360. Being that few publishers thought the Wii was going to be successful, and the concept of the Wii being the dominant console was so unexpected it made a good April fools joke, the kinds of projects that would typically receive scores of "90% or higher" were (certainly) not started before the Wii launched and were probably not considered until (about) a year ago.

Whether you are ready to accept it or not, at least some of the large publishers looked at the rapidly growing user base of the Wii and decided to put some of these larger-budget games on the Wii; after all, with the low development costs and large user base the risk is fairly minimal on developing/financing these kinds of games. We’re already seeing the result of this shift with games like Dragon Quest X, Mad World, Spyborgs, and The Conduit, along with several other titles people could list off. Will all of these games end up being critically acclaimed? Probably not, in fact most will probably end up with pretty average reviews; but that’s typical of HD games as well.

Will this new found interest in bigger budget games on the Wii be a one time thing? Once again, probably not. CEOs of large publishers can no longer excuse their record revenues and record losses on not anticipating the popularity of the Wii; while last year shareholders would accept the promise of further support for the Wii, from now on they will be expected to be showing how they plan to capture sales on the Wii. Companies who are unwilling to back up their previous promises with actual projects which bring results will face the wrath of their shareholders, and many CEOs will lose their job or face legal action.

Around the Network
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
I think by the end of this generation Wii will have triple the amount of AAA games that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have combined.

What do you think those games will be this year? The Wii has a lot of catching up to do.

The Legend of Zelda, Mario, 100s of new IPs, Kirby, Kid Icaus, Fire Emblem, Starfox, F-zero, DOnkey Kong, Metriod Prime, Pikmin, 3rd party IPs, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and much much more.

What makes you think sequels to Fire Emblem and No More Heroes will be rated over 90% and/or sell a lot when the originals didn't?

is Donkey Kong confirmed?  that would be interesting.  Red Steel 1 was terrible.  Where are these 100s of new IPs coming from?

you heard it there first guys, KZ2 will be terrible despite reviews.

Twilightman on Gametrailers

xcot said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
I think by the end of this generation Wii will have triple the amount of AAA games that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have combined.

What do you think those games will be this year? The Wii has a lot of catching up to do.

The Legend of Zelda, Mario, 100s of new IPs, Kirby, Kid Icaus, Fire Emblem, Starfox, F-zero, DOnkey Kong, Metriod Prime, Pikmin, 3rd party IPs, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, and much much more.

What makes you think sequels to Fire Emblem and No More Heroes will be rated over 90% and/or sell a lot when the originals didn't?

is Donkey Kong confirmed? that would be interesting. Red Steel 1 was terrible. Where are these 100s of new IPs coming from?

Huh? Red Steel is at 63% on metacritic.

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:

You’re also not taking into consideration that there is a noticeable bias in reviewers that means that "90% or higher" games tend come from a couple of genres, and tend to be the kinds of games that took 2 to 3 years to develop on the PS2/Gamecube/XBox and can take 4 to 5 years to develop on the PS3/XBox 360. Being that few publishers thought the Wii was going to be successful, and the concept of the Wii being the dominant console was so unexpected it made a good April fools joke, the kinds of projects that would typically receive scores of "90% or higher" were (certainly) not started before the Wii launched and were probably not considered until (about) a year ago.

Whether you are ready to accept it or not, at least some of the large publishers looked at the rapidly growing user base of the Wii and decided to put some of these larger-budget games on the Wii; after all, with the low development costs and large user base the risk is fairly minimal on developing/financing these kinds of games. We’re already seeing the result of this shift with games like Dragon Quest X, Mad World, Spyborgs, and The Conduit, along with several other titles people could list off. Will all of these games end up being critically acclaimed? Probably not, in fact most will probably end up with pretty average reviews; but that’s typical of HD games as well.

Will this new found interest in bigger budget games on the Wii be a one time thing? Once again, probably not. CEOs of large publishers can no longer excuse their record revenues and record losses on not anticipating the popularity of the Wii; while last year shareholders would accept the promise of further support for the Wii, from now on they will be expected to be showing how they plan to capture sales on the Wii. Companies who are unwilling to back up their previous promises with actual projects which bring results will face the wrath of their shareholders, and many CEOs will lose their job or face legal action.

I don't really buy into the reviewers being so biased that it effects the Wii so much.  For one thing, as I pointed out, the PS2 has God of War 2 and Persona 4 (Persona 3 FES just missing at 89%) during that same time period.  I think quality games are recognized no matter the console.

I do believe that your premise that publishers are shifting to the Wii is plausible.  I don't think the shift will make the Wii's lineup anywhere close to the PS2's level, however.  But, we'll see how the games turn out.

windbane said:
xcot said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:

is Donkey Kong confirmed? that would be interesting. Red Steel 1 was terrible. Where are these 100s of new IPs coming from?

You're claiming that Red Steel 2 will be bad because Red Steel was bad ... Since Killzone 1 was bad what does this tell us about Killzone 2?

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:
xcot said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:
windbane said:
YesWiiCan said:

You're claiming that Red Steel 2 will be bad because Red Steel was bad ... Since Killzone 1 was bad what does this tell us about Killzone 2?

Ah, I see the comparison. First of all, the notion that you should doubt a mediocre-to-bad game's sequel is valid. I wasn't convinced Killzone 2 would be good until I played the beta.

That said, there are some slight differences between those 2 series: Killzone 1 is a little better at 70%, and Killzone: Liberation, also developed by GG, is at 77%. GG was also bought by Sony and Sony tends to put out quality first/second party games (similar to Nintendo). They received help from several developers that work with Sony.  The expectations were raised because of that.