By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is there any chance for Sony to beat Microsoft in 2009 ?

if they bundle the ps3 with the wii

Around the Network
axumblade said:
damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:
it's possible. Sony beat Microsoft almost every week WW last year until 360 got its second price cut and then Sony lost overall for the year.

If you seriously think about it, Sony had a horrid year last year.  The first 3+ months were supply constrained for M$ so that hurt them a lot in the sales department.  If they had the supply thing worked out in early 08 I think M$ would have an additional 500k- 1M sales.  So things could have been much worse for Sony.

As for Sony outselling M$ for the year, it is all but imppossible.  Trouble in the economic sector for nearly everyone + major corporate downward spiral for Sony = Very ruff year ahead.

M$ has a greater chance of outselling the Wii this Christmas (not going to happen) than Sony beating the 360 for the year.

3+ months?

My cousin and a couple others I know tried to buy a 360 (locally) between Feb and March and ended up having to buy them online at amazon.  So yea I would say atleast 3 months.  Atleast in my region.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:
damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:
it's possible. Sony beat Microsoft almost every week WW last year until 360 got its second price cut and then Sony lost overall for the year.

If you seriously think about it, Sony had a horrid year last year.  The first 3+ months were supply constrained for M$ so that hurt them a lot in the sales department.  If they had the supply thing worked out in early 08 I think M$ would have an additional 500k- 1M sales.  So things could have been much worse for Sony.

As for Sony outselling M$ for the year, it is all but imppossible.  Trouble in the economic sector for nearly everyone + major corporate downward spiral for Sony = Very ruff year ahead.

M$ has a greater chance of outselling the Wii this Christmas (not going to happen) than Sony beating the 360 for the year.

3+ months?

My cousin and a couple others I know tried to buy a 360 (locally) between Feb and March and ended up having to buy them online at amazon.  So yea I would say atleast 3 months.  Atleast in my region.

So you and your cousin had trouble finding one around your hometown/place and this is the basis for the reasoning that the PS3 has no chance of outselling the 360 this year?

Everyone is talking about the economy and pricing, with a pricecut, this would become a non factor, like it did with the 360 last year. Or is it just MS who gain advantages with pricecuts? I just don't understand the way some of you are thinking, is all.

Mummelmann said:
damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:
damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:

3+ months?

So you and your cousin had trouble finding one around your hometown/place and this is the basis for the reasoning that the PS3 has no chance of outselling the 360 this year?

Everyone is talking about the economy and pricing, with a pricecut, this would become a non factor, like it did with the 360 last year. Or is it just MS who gain advantages with pricecuts? I just don't understand the way some of you are thinking, is all.  Underline = why PS3 will not catch 360 this year.

@ bolded,  If you re read the thread of mine you will see I never said anything like that. I was just saying that last year could have been a lot worse for the PS3.  Stop trying to spin things into your own demented thoughts please, it hurts the rest of our heads.  

It is well known that the begining of last year was very bad for M$ because it had very very low shipments.  And if I remember correctly there were several threads about it then.  I just don't feel like looking it up and posting a link right now.  

My cousin and a few of my friends were examples.  ( I had my 360 from the start )

damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:

Your fanboyism is showing.

Despite how you want look at it, Sony isn't doing nearly as bad now as Microsoft was doing this time last year. You can argue that it's because of supply contraints, but that doesn't change the fact that 360 sales didn't improve one bit until they issued a price drop in September. If last year taught Sony and Microsoft fanboys anything, it's that Q4 makes all the difference. You can be outsold all year long by an average of 80k units a week, but if you can significantly outsell your competetor during the key Christmas season, then it dosn't matter how bad you do during the first 3/4ths of the year.

That being said, Sony's Christmas lineup of games looks infinitely better than the 360's currently does from a hardware selling perspective. Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, Gran Turismo 5 in Europe and God of War III in America (All of which are currently, officially stated to be released during this time) will sell more consoles in their specific regions than any game getting released on 360. Despite what Sony or Microsoft may want us to think, the truth is that we already know almost every single upcoming exclusive game for either system that will sell more than 500k this year.

As far as price cuts are concerned, if you think that Sony won't be able to issue one by the end of the year you're fooling yourself. The PS3 is already practically breaking even on every system sold and they most likely are breaking even on premium bundles. Over the past two years, Sony has managed to reduce the manufacturing cost of the PS3 by roughly $400 according to iSuppli's estimates in 2006 and 2008. With the upcoming 45nm hardware revision coming in Spring, the general and constant lowering prices for blu-ray and other internal parts, and Sony's simple need to cut costs everywhere they possibly can, I wouldn't be surprised in Sony were able to manufacture PS3s for roughly $335 by this October and possibly even less. At that point, it's a no brainer for Sony to drop the price by $100 because if they manage to sell one or two first party games with every system sold, they'll have broken even which shouldn't be difficult with huge and moderate new releases such as God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, M.A.G, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank 2, Heavy Rain and EyePet.

We also need to take Microsoft's potential price cuts into the equation. However, unless Microsoft is willing to sell the system at a permanant loss for the rest of the generation, then they really can't afford to drop the price more than $50 this year unless they release an XboxSlim of some sort.

It's not hard to see the PS3 beating the 360 this year at all. I'd even go as far to say it's just as hard to see the 360 beating PS3 if Sony issues a $100 price cut during Q4.

Around the Network
Seihyouken said:
damndl0ser said:
axumblade said:

Your fanboyism is showing.

Despite how you want look at it, Sony isn't doing nearly as bad now as Microsoft was doing this time last year. You can argue that it's because of supply contraints, but that doesn't change the fact that 360 sales didn't improve one bit until they issued a price drop in September. If last year taught Sony and Microsoft fanboys anything, it's that Q4 makes all the difference. You can be outsold all year long by an average of 80k units a week, but if you can significantly outsell your competetor during the key Christmas season, then it dosn't matter how bad you do during the first 3/4ths of the year.

That being said, Sony's Christmas lineup of games looks infinitely better than the 360's currently does from a hardware selling perspective. Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, Gran Turismo 5 in Europe and God of War III in America (All of which are currently, officially stated to be released during this time) will sell more consoles in their specific regions than any game getting released on 360. Despite what Sony or Microsoft may want us to think, the truth is that we already know almost every single upcoming exclusive game for either system that will sell more than 500k this year.

As far as price cuts are concerned, if you think that Sony won't be able to issue one by the end of the year you're fooling yourself. The PS3 is already practically breaking even on every system sold and they most likely are breaking even on premium bundles. Over the past two years, Sony has managed to reduce the manufacturing cost of the PS3 by roughly $400 according to iSuppli's estimates in 2006 and 2008. With the upcoming 45nm hardware revision coming in Spring, the general and constant lowering prices for blu-ray and other internal parts, and Sony's simple need to cut costs everywhere they possibly can, I wouldn't be surprised in Sony were able to manufacture PS3s for roughly $335 by this October and possibly even less. At that point, it's a no brainer for Sony to drop the price by $100 because if they manage to sell one or two first party games with every system sold, they'll have broken even which shouldn't be difficult with huge and moderate new releases such as God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, M.A.G, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank 2, Heavy Rain and EyePet.

We also need to take Microsoft's potential price cuts into the equation. However, unless Microsoft is willing to sell the system at a permanant loss for the rest of the generation, then they really can't afford to drop the price more than $50 this year unless they release an XboxSlim of some sort.

It's not hard to see the PS3 beating the 360 this year at all. I'd even go as far to say it's just as hard to see the 360 beating PS3 if Sony issues a $100 price cut during Q4.

I honestly don't see Sony dropping the price by $100 any time soon.  At the very best they will probably drop it by $50 around OCT. or NOV.  and I don't think that will be enough.  As for the "official" list of games that are coming out around  the Holidays, I am fairly certain that none of them have a clear official date of release.  If they do please show me.  

Most of the rumors I have seen point to them coming out early 2010.  I guess I could be wrong, but this seems to be more of the same old same old.  Wasn't this past Christmas supposed to be the greatest for PS3?  All anyone could hear from the Sony camp was how well LBP and R2 would do and they were blown away by the 360 stuff.

If 360's were pulled off the shelf for a year, you know, to even the time they've BOTH been selling.

PSN ID= bigdaddymoo

MSI GT725-074 owner..... TRUE BEAST.. COD4 is a different game on PC.

vthokiesrmoo said:

If 360's were pulled off the shelf for a year, you know, to even the time they've BOTH been selling.

The 360's head start didn't exactly help much considering what it cost them in the end (RRoD costs, extended warranty and repair bill).  Still, MS just used the early start as a part of their strategy.  Sony didn't.  Go whine about it.

Sylvain316 said:
ocnkng said:
Yes the will if:
A] Price drops by $100
B] PS2 software simulator is announced for download from PSN

Great point : I will buy a PS3 if they annouce a simulator for ps2 software ( and a price drop of course)

That won't happen as the current model PS3's don't have the PS2 chipset inside meaning it can't play PS2 games, they can't just offer you a PSN download to play PS2 games without the PS2 chipset.....

Yearly sales in 2009? There's a very good chance, with some aggressive marketing and price cutting. Remember, it just needs to win the last four months and it has the year.

LTD? Hell, no. Not without a price cut to $100 and a bombing of Microsoft factories worldwide.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective