By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is there any chance for Sony to beat Microsoft in 2009 ?

NJ5 said:
Groucho said:
richardhutnik said:
twingo said:
Price cut and ww GT5 release and they will kill MS. At 299 PS3 will spank 360 in sales especially if the crap arcade 360 sku is continued.

Though they really need a huge hardware mover and GT5 is that, K2 GOW3 FF13/Verus could pull it of though i doubt all those can achieve what alone GT5 can.

And if Microsoft likewise matches, then what? 

MS stockholders will panic, and MS will be fondly remembered as "the place that gave us XBox 360 for practically free".

Look at the financial reports. One of Sony and Microsoft had a 0.1% profit margin in their gaming division in the last quarter, on top of having three products with declining sales, even though only the other one had price cuts. And of course, only one of them is predicting to have a huge loss in the ongoing quarter due to problems in their core business.

If any stockholders are about to panic, it's not Microsoft's.

M$ stock went down as well. Sony stockholders will panic more doesn't mean M$ stockholders will be free from panic.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
O-D-C said:
Realisticly - yes

In my opinion - no

to follow the trend =)

but that is assuming the op mean beat on the year results, not lifetime sales (in which case it would be "hell no").

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

guessing the answers to this is like playing the stock market anymore.

Pristine20 said:

M$ stock went down as well. Sony stockholders will panic more doesn't mean M$ stockholders will be free from panic.

Sure, most companies are in trouble in some way or another. I just find it funny that Groucho acts as if Microsoft would be the one suffering more if both companies cut their prices.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Seeing what a pricecut did for the 360's sales it is reasonable to assume that the PS3 will fare very well after such a cut, it was doing quite well in comparison at a higher price and with a poorer (imo) game library for most of 08.
If there's a pricecut I'm going to be bold and say that they will most certainly.
It depends on many things though, not the least of which is what MS will do in response and how big an effect that will have (reducing an already low price might not have as much effect as reducing a high or medium high price like they did before).
To me, it really doesn't matter anymore (it did before, somehow), I've learned to appreciate good games on all platforms and I'm officially going PS360 this summer!

Around the Network

If we are talking beat Microsoft in console sales for 2009, then I'm going to say yes.

If we are talking overtake Microsoft in overall console sales in 2009, then I'm going to say no.

simply no.

2009? Iffy, probably no.
Lifetime? It's almost a given yes, unless the company folds. heh

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Yearly profit, yes it has a chance for it. Beat in yearly sales, yes but its a bit slighter chance. Beat in whole sales(getting +8 million consoles + whatever MS get)... Its a big NO. :)

Outsell, yes. Overtake, no.