By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is there any chance for Sony to beat Microsoft in 2009 ?

sly777 said:
scat398 said:
Sony's recent comments suggest they aren't interested in outselling the 360 anymore but instead focusing on keeping the brand profitable. This is probably the best course of action for Sony this generation, accept last place and make some money.

I'm totaly aggree with you scat398. Be the best sellers is no more the priority of Sony right now. And lets be honnest : the 3 systems are selling well. 

Mmh the WII is selling well, the PS360 are doing ok... less ok ...

IMO, the real debat is what is the value generated AFTER the initial console purchase...(games, DLC, services...).

It is like HP printer, you bought the machine for cheap and pay more for the ink and paper

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network
vthokiesrmoo said:
nightsurge said:
Seriously, Squilliam, he doesn't think things through very well. He has trouble seeing the whole picture. Also, he misinterprets badly.

@vthokiesrmoo
Where in there did I add next generation consoles in a prediction? All I said was the PS3 likely won't outsell the 360 until the new Xbox has been out for a year. I never said anything about when that would be, or how much it would cost, or what it would include. You were the one who jumped the gun and started making assumptions there.

Also, we can't really say "Sony has the best games" when that is both opinionated and something that no one can assuredly state since it is all in the future and anything could happen. Also, with the added games from the PC/360 exclusives, the 360's lineup is much larger, with more variety, and everything I could ever want, so sorry, I must be a brick wall... The only two games on the PS3 I will likely get this year is Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2.

Also, since you seem to hold the PS3 exclusives to some higher level, I would like to comment and say that the 360 has just as many games that can "counter" those high powered titles. 2 Halo games this year alone. Anyone who doubts these will sell, does not know Halo. Then we have a Splinter Cell game, lots of RPG's, Gears of War 3 to look forward to next year to compete with God of War III in 2010.

I think very many people, especially those with an HDTV, fast internet, and friends that have Xbox 360's, would choose an Xbox + Blu-Ray standalone player over a PS3 any day. The fact that you think no one would shows my point of how you have a very narrow vision and can't see the whole picture. Plus, with many people not even needing or wanting a Blu-Ray player, it will still be much cheaper for them to go 360 for their gaming needs. I also gave a range of $25-50 cheaper. That's an extra game or controller or a few movies, which seems like a better deal to me.

Didn't ya hear? The 360's are mucho quiet now. Especially when the games are loaded to the hard drive... seems to me like you (as well as most of your arguments) are living in the past...

LOL i think you guys are blinded by the 360's success in its first few years on the market. I study business (Finance), am about to graduate from a legit business school, and have taken my share of business policy and strategy intensive courses. IMO I know business and I can see the whole picture. I don't have the patience to argue about anymore predictions though, which is all that we are doing. On to another thread for me!

Are you serious? you study Business?!? I am officially shocked seeing how you seem to have no idea how the current gaming market is panning out.......

I own all three current gen consoles but It really doesn't take much brain power to realise the PS3 is fighting a losing battle.

Also, I bought a Sony Blu Ray player in the UK for £89 two weeks ago (for the bedroom), A LOT of people in the UK are buying 360's (arcade is £99 in some places here) and a decent blu ray player (£89 in some places here) for under £200 (or £229 if you get a 360 premium instead) all in, that is a LOT cheaper than the £289 PS3.

This is why the 360 sells so well in the UK as the price is fantastic.

Well IMHO opinion without a price cut beating the 360 will be nigh on impossible.

A price cut will cripple Sony financially.

Common sense states it would be better for Sony to bow out licking their wounds and come back stronger in another gen.

Did anybody notice that although PS3 is last, it gets most of the attention?
While I don't want one, as I was interested until its specs showed it wasn't really able to become a new general purpose home PC (too little and unexpandable RAM and only one PPE core in the Cell currently used), all this attention and all this anger, and how it's shown, makes me think that most detractors simply wish PS3 gets cheaper than now.
On a side note, masked by usual clearance sales cuts and give used games and consoles back offers, I saw here and there PS3 official bundles (LBP or others) + another game at buyer's choice at 299€, it looks like some resellers are already applying an unofficial cut.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Did anybody notice that although PS3 is last, it gets most of the attention?
While I don't want one, as I was interested until its specs showed it wasn't really able to become a new general purpose home PC (too little and unexpandable RAM and only one PPE core in the Cell currently used), all this attention and all this anger, and how it's shown, makes me think that most detractors simply wish PS3 gets cheaper than now.
On a side note, masked by usual clearance sales cuts and give used games and consoles back offers, I saw here and there PS3 official bundles (LBP or others) + another game at buyer's choice at 299€, it looks like some resellers are already applying an unofficial cut.

I believe it gets all the attention because it is an interesting phenomena : The biggest videogame brand is loosing its bet...

Everybody was expecting the next move of Sony to be a revolution... and after 2 years, we are still stucked with an infamous price tag for a FMCG (don't come back on me with this silly value calculation, it is glorified bs...).

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

^^
So you too agree the current price is too high for most buyers, I won't do silly calculations to deny it, as I think the same and as I wrote, resellers too seem to share this opinion now...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sly777 said:
scat398 said:
Sony's recent comments suggest they aren't interested in outselling the 360 anymore but instead focusing on keeping the brand profitable. This is probably the best course of action for Sony this generation, accept last place and make some money.

I'm totaly aggree with you scat398. Be the best sellers is no more the priority of Sony right now. And lets be honnest : the 3 systems are selling well. 

Yes... Sony seems to be doing well dispite the number and I think they will be happy with staying fairly close to the 360 in numbers... as long as they dont fall back to far then they wont lose much 3rd party support, but the bigger the gap the less likely they will get ports from smaller developers

The following comments from David Reeves pretty much sumps up Sony's strategy in the upcoming year, and it's probably going to disappoint many fanboys:

"We simply have to suffer a little," Sony Europe honcho David Reeves tells The Guardian, "go down in market share and mind-share. It's like Ali vs. Foreman — go eight or nine rounds and let him punch himself out. We're still standing, we're still profitable and there's a lot of fight in us. I don't say we will land a knockout blow, but we're there and we're fighting."

Sony's not only fighting, but learning from its competitors. "We've learned from Nintendo how to grow the market and move from handheld device to device — they've done it brilliantly," Reeves says. "And we've learned an enormous amount from Microsoft, too."

As the economic climate worsens, Reeves concedes that customers will be shopping on price. Sony is thus continuing to make the PS3 competitive as a game console and as a multi-media device.

Reeves also tells The Guardian why Sony didn't offer a pre-holiday PS3 price cut: "If we'd cut the price, lost another billion dollars, we might have had a huge Christmas but it would have been followed by a huge loss. The company could have thought: 'Hmm, I'm not sure I want to be in this business at all.' But we've shown Sony this is still a good business to have."

Goal of Sony is to start making money off the ps3, not some bravado fanboy battle in a losing money game. Nintendo and M$ have more money, and great market shares, which translates to a losing game for Sony to try to wage this battle financially. If they can get the ps3's profitable and selling at a decent pop, that will mean the game will have a longer lifespan, and they can fight in the next gen...sorry fanboys.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder