By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yakuza 3 needs more than a 5GB installation

Sure mandatory installs stem from multiple setups, which is "one" of the reasons PC's do it. In the PS3's case, they also do it because it's easier. Some devs can do it without the installs, kudo's to them. Some dev's just can't. And I'd rather them do a mandatory install then send me a shitty game. Whining about it isn't going to change the fact that they don't know the hardware very well.

I guarantee you if the 360 bothered to ship a hard drive with every console, they'd use mandatory installs to cut corners as well. This generation was a huge leap for tech as far as consoles are concerned and some devs just aren't up to snuff yet. Can we just agree that this is minor and be done with it?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I don't mind as long as they bring this game to Europe. I prefer smaller installs though.

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

nordlead said:
mandatory installs suck and no one should be defending them. Installs for PC probably stem from having to support multiple hardware setups, which consoles don't have to deal with. Again, patches for PC's are mainly for hardware incompatibilities (or should be anyways).

However, this mandatory install and patch business is crap, and proves again why Nintendo has the best console. When Nintendo starts walking down this road it will be a sad day for gaming.

don't worry patch will happen to nintendo next gen.

Not sure if I'm going to purchase this game, but 5GB is very much even for my 80GB model.
I think I need to buy a new HDD soon.

Oh well at least it doesn't need ~6,2GB (I'm talking about Gran Turismo 5 Prologue)

DirtyP2002 said:
DaGreatestHope said:
Consoles are becoming more like PCs nowadays.

After the NXE, many 360 fans began praising installations, saying it makes the game runs better.

A seemingly double standard to bash the PS3 for the same type of reason.

Personally, I dont care if the game installs or not. I can wait 5 to 20 min. no problem.

Advantages XBox360 installs:

• The Xbox360 gets quite
  • Improved load-times
  • they are optional
  • Done in 5 minutes

Disadvantages Xbox360 installs:

• none

Advantages PS3 installs

• none

Disadvantages PS3 installs

• mandatory
  • take up to 25minutes (DMC)

You forgot

- BioShock for PS3. 5GB install
- Lost Planet (5GB)
- Far Cry 2 (3GB)
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Bourne Conspiracy (5GB)
- Soul Calibur IV (2GB)

This is just the multiplatform titles, and the 360 version don't require mandatory installs. I didn't include the 5GBs for Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I would love to play my games right off the bat instead of making a sandwich and waiting for the installation to finish. I played half of those games along with many PS3 exclusives that required installs, and it ate up my 60GB hard drive space, so I had to buy a hard drive. If I would've gotten those multiplats on the 360, I wouldn't have been wasting my money on another hard drive. And to think, this is just the second year of the PS3; if this trend keeps up, I might have to buy yet another hard drive.

Around the Network

You can delete installs once you are done with the game y'know Mirson? Or do you honestly need to be able to replay Bourne Conspiracy and Lost Planet at a moment's notice?

This is crap. The supposed space advantage of the Blu-Ray is wiped out by rediculous installs to a hard drive. You might as well be using DVDs if you just have to install stuff anyway. Heck, it would have made the PS3 cheaper.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau

I don't mind the mandatory installs at all. The 360 has optional installs for all games and I always install the 2 games I play the most to my hard drive (I only have room for 2 installs.)

LOL this thread friggin rocks! Some of these people complaining are almost comical xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

coolestguyever said:
I don't mind the mandatory installs at all. The 360 has optional installs for all games and I always install the 2 games I play the most to my hard drive (I only have room for 2 installs.)

This is exactly what I do. It helps a lot, especially for TLR.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!