By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy - Who here is a "pirate" ???

Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:
I pirate PC games. And i'm all for everyone doing it the way i do.

Ie. I bought Red Alert 3, but i wasn't going to install it from the disc because i disagree with making honest customers install secuROM so i downloaded a pirate version with all the rootkit crap removed.

Same with Crysis Warhead and Dead Space.

So yeah, i pirate, but i am also a legitimate customer.

So, it's like you give me $100 and then steal it from me. That's still theft, you know.

No, it's like i pay £35 and then download a soft copy to go with my hard copy.

So i suppose the analogy is more like if i give you £35 for one of your DVDs, take the DVD and then copy your ripped version to mu USB stick and take that too. Note the word "Copy"because you'd still have it on your computer.

EDIT - For Example i bought Fallout 3, however, because there is no draconian DRM being installed with it i didn't need to download a copy to install.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Around the Network
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:

Ie. I bought Red Alert 3, but i wasn't going to install it from the disc because i disagree with making honest customers install secuROM so i downloaded a pirate version with all the rootkit crap removed.

So, it's like you give me $100 and then steal it from me. That's still theft, you know.

That

That isn't what it is at all

It's more like he buys an apple from you and then uses a magic cloning machine to make two of the apple. You're still paid for your services in the degree that he will be using them.

Khuutra said:
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:

That

That isn't what it is at all

It's more like he buys an apple from you and then uses a magic cloning machine to make two of the apple. You're still paid for your services in the degree that he will be using them.

And the Magical Cloned Applewouldn't have a maggot in the middle of it.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
WraithPriest said:
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:

So i suppose the analogy is more like if i give you £35 for one of your DVDs, take the DVD and then copy your ripped version to mu USB stick and take that too. Note the word "Copy"because you'd still have it on your computer.

EDIT - For Example i bought Fallout 3, however, because there is no draconian DRM being installed with it i didn't need to download a copy to install.

I don't care. You bought my software with DRM and is expected to work that way. By circumventing it, you're breaking my software and hence a criminal offense. Your £35 is not enough to pay my lawyers for even a minute.

So, I'll have no choice but sue hundreds of thousands out of you to foot the bills.

Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:

I don't care. You bought my software with DRM and is expected to work that way. By circumventing it, you're breaking my software and hence a criminal offense. Your £35 is not enough to pay my lawyers for even a minute.

So, I'll have no choice but sue hundreds of thousands out of you to foot the bills.

How about you go jump on the people who pay NOTHING for the games. At least i buy a legitimate copy BEFORE downloading the fixed version.

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Around the Network
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:
Galaki said:
WraithPriest said:

Consumers, throughout history, have shown what is and is not an accpetable policy from the manufacturers of goods. While the consumer's actions may be illegal, when the consumer (and a huge portion of that base) acts against the law, it is not a sign that the law should be enforced, it is a sign that the law should be rewritten.

EULAs are a bad scene and using them to justify DRM is even worse.

Pirates?

well i have downloaded pc games, they are almost impossible to buy here in my country (each game more than 150$, even 200$), but in my trips to Canada and USa i have bought some pc games that i already had "pirated", only the worth ones,(Age of empires 1&2, Anno 1701, Populous, etc). and for the next trip im buying a few more, Sim city Collection, AOE3 Collection, Sins Of a Solar empire, Starcraft II, etc.. only the good ones. Its bad but thats the only way for me. Cant Waste Money in games that it doesnt deserve to be bought.... but all my Wii games are originals, thats good for Ninty...

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

If I had bought all my PC games the last few years, I'd be extremely discontent with my purchases, there's no end of shit being released.
Even high review scores don't convince me anymore, I have never in my life experienced such letdowns by highly reviewed games that I have in 2007 and 2008. Most of these games are downloaded, installed and then removed completely after a few days in agony.
If a game is shit, I won't buy it. If a game is so bad that I won't even pirate it, how do the developers expect me to bother purchasing the title by retail?
I buy good games, I buy good music and I buy good movies and TV shows.
Trouble is; most of it is either shir or mediocre at best so I don't want it to begin with.
Here in Norway studies have shown that people who pirate music spend, on average, over three times more on retail music or online purchases, can't be all bad.

I'm a big pirate on the PC. My X360 ain't modded though so I can't pirate anything on it.

I'm Swedish and it's a rich country but almost everyone are pirates. And file sharing is perfectly legal here.

I'm against piracy and I have a very good income, but when the culture around you takes for granded that you can get everything for free, and even the government aproves it, I ain't gonna be a dumb fool and pay so that the pirates can play for free.

Also, it kinda pisses me off that nearly all console games get PC versions. The console gamers are paying $60 while the PC guys get them for free. Although personally it's good for me since I always have a good PC.

Same with music & movies. I used to spend at least $30 per month on CDs and bought 4-5 DVDs per year but nothing after I got broadband.

Yep most of my games for PS,PS2,PSP,NDS,Wii.X360 are pirated. Overall i have about 800 games (only complete half of it). I own more than 200 games on PS2 alone. I only buy ori games for PS3 (because it still unhacked) and some of my favourite games. I'm from Malaysia. Ori games not just difficult to find but it was so expensive. For example FFXII cost about $50 but pirated ver only $2. Plus Jap games also only avaible for pirate ver. We don't have to wait for US or Europe ver. Pirated games always has slightly worse graphic than ori one. People here not as rich as Jap or American. Not just me, most of my friends also buy pirate games. If pirate games not avaible most of us might not be a gamers. Pirate might help the sales of toys, figure, and others acessories. So. pirate hasd its adv and disadv.