By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy - Who here is a "pirate" ???

I pirate music, film clips, movies, TV episodes, software, eBooks, audio books and games. I also buy music, movies, TV episodes, software and games.

I think of it as try before I buy (if I like the game enough). Sometimes I'll play through an entire game and still not buy it. That's okay in my book. A game has to really earn its place on my shelf as opposed to being amongst the hundreds in spindles ;).

That said, piracy isn't without its costs. For DS games, for instance, you absolutely need an R4. PIRACY IS GREAT!

P.S. Robots!

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

Around the Network
The Lurker said:
I pirate music, film clips, movies, TV episodes, software, eBooks, audio books and games. I also buy music, movies, TV episodes, software and games.

I think of it as try before I buy (if I like the game enough). Sometimes I'll play through an entire game and still not buy it. That's okay in my book. A game has to really earn its place on my shelf as opposed to being amongst the hundreds in spindles ;).

That said, piracy isn't without its costs. For DS games, for instance, you absolutely need an R4. PIRACY IS GREAT!

P.S. Robots!

I don't pirate anything, I win my life confortably to buy what I want.

I also expect full services from the products I get so ... pirating is definitly something I would avoid.

I know it is a plague in France (cheap bastards )... but not here.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Yeah I did and still do pirate music and old video games (roms, iso).

I don't think it's right but at least I'm not one of those people who SELL it for profit. It's only for personal use. And I already owned many of those games, just re-play them for nostalgia. ^_^

aher052 said:

ok so i just want to get this out....

this is my opinion on pirating

when people pirate they (the ppl i know) usually do it because they dont want to pay 100 bucks or whatever for a game. however this is not stealing IMO (and i said IMO) because if they didnt pirate then they wouldnt pay the 100 bucks any way, no matter how much they wanted the game....

so in this situation it would be either having the game pirated or not buying the game at all....so really this helps the developer because they would usually tell all their friends about the game (ie me) and they would end up buying it. (this is how i end up buying games...through friends who have the game and advertise it to me)

This is not stealing because if they didnt pirate the game they wouldnt end up buying the game and therefore the developer or whoever is not losing out on any money anyway because they wouldnt have got the game if they had to pay for it....

but for example if someone were to pirate LBP and shared my opinion on either pirating or not paying, it would help the developer because they would pay for the other features such as MGS paintball addon pack so really the developer would get money off that...

so if you followed all my logic etc if someone were to pirate they wouldnt be stealing because if they didnt pirate they wouldnt get teh game at all....

that is my opinion and what some friends of mine do and think.....

however i am against people pirating massive amounts then selling copied games for a profit (just wanted to get that out of the way)

Why call it "piracy"? it sounds like a bad thing you know. I prefer to call it "friendly sharing". I agree with you 100%. I don't consider myself a big gamer and I have friends who buy most of them so why should I care about buying many games? I know I will still buy some games, but it's just like you say, some of us don't consider just any game worth our money.Now to some other people around here I ask: Is anything wrong with sharing? If I "enjoy the entertainment someone else created for free" A.K.A. "to borrow a game from a friend" Is there something wrong with that too?? I have lots of stuff borrowed from friends ages ago still in my house! books, movies, music cds, games. What's so different if I decided to copy one of those to keep it for the same time I would otherwise keep the originally borrowed one? it works the same. I wouldn't have bought the original or get to know about some people's work, and then I would definitely skip any other kind of work they'd produce. But sharing opened new horizons for me, created interest in many things I didn't know I liked. Could I become a fan of "Musician X" if I didn't listen anything of their music? and as a fan eventually SPEND MONEY buying stuff in a wide range of band parafernalia, and buy tickets for concerts/tours etc. it's possible as well as it's also possible I'll pass the word over and interest more people , some of which will definitely spend money on that kind of enterteinment in some way or another.

Some of you might say, "I borrow books 'cause they're no use to me once I've read them" well, what do you know, it's the same for MANY games for many people. They won't even get far into a game before they put it away and forget about it, so why even rent it? And while I'm at it, should renting be prohibited too? yeah you pay for a try of the game for a limited time, but what if there was a video-game club that offered you one-month rentals for the same price? then it wouldn't be profitable you say? HAH! Those people squeeze the hell out of a single copy of a game (and let's not mention movies) and you and me only pay what they ask for because we probably just want a single go at it and be done with it. But why would I rent movie/game X, if I know my friend can lend me his copy? Did my friend bought his copy 'cause he also wanted a single view/playthrough? most likely, he bought it because it's a piece of media he considered worth adding to his collection, if not he would've just rented it, no? People these days are so up in arms against "piracy" 'cause besides of it being very convenient, you just don't have to go out the door to get what you want anymore, this latter part if what really irks so-called anti-piracy advocates.

A copy is just a copy, even if you don't have the original too. You DON'T get the same for your money, you don't get cool cases, cool printed material, cool labeled disc, and probably not even same durability, in the case of X360 games you even risk getting banned out of X-Live, not to mention you void your warranty (precious RROD warranty) when you open up the console in exchange for really cheap gaming. Sharing is free for anybody, and as long as I'm not making a profit of something that is not mine I don't see anything wrong with it. If people hate "pirates" so much then they should question themselves, if they really hate them because they (the "peers") get what they pay for and they're just jelous they are paying so much for things they don't really care about (cases, prints, labels and legal re-sale ability), if it's the latter they should really consider "borrowing" stuff from friends, 'cause they are pirates at heart or they shouldn't give a damn about how other people get their entertainment.

ipirate

I don't require anyone's validation.

we live in a broken world with serious problems, I don't see a reason to crow at each other about such nonsense.

feed the starving. help to treat curable and preventable illnesses. end wars. end poverty. gain salvation.

for the most part I spend my money on things I need, and trying to end starvation, about 24,000 die a day.

I cheated and bought a used DS, but I plan to quit smoking to offset the purchase in long run.
(it was the Triforce edition, got it at a steal of a price so I can potentially make my money back.)

I also bought flash cards.

(not to be spiteful at all, but used game sales of existing retail products "hurt" the industry, the biggest friggin' entertainment industry, more so than piracy, there are more sales lost, and for the most part a pirate is going to buy a pc/console, supporting the original manufactures somewhat, usually)

Whether it's God (I believe it to be), or karma, a butterfly effect, whatever,
I think that as world's rich(2 billion people live on 2 dollars a day or less), that's us Americans (and other visitors to this site from Advanced Economies)

we have a moral obligation to end starvation deaths, and for that conciousness of indifference(evil) to be abound it's crippling the world culturally, even finacially(?) from my perspective.

ipirate , but I'd gladly buy stuff, and not so that I could gloat, hypocritically in my pride and in vain(wordsofwisdom: A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit), but I think there are more pressing issues to be taken care of with regards to humanity.

here's something to leave you all with:

I pirated The Bible. (from a file sharing service)

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 13:13

oh, duh, i just got it...goto the library and borrow a game/book/movie/cd/ect., IT'S JUST LIKE FILE SHARING, or save the gas...blah, blah, blah, this is retarded.

oh here's another one, consider the wheel, to enforce these pithy laws to the fullest, that seek to chain ideas, when we know that ideas are free, ideas are bulletproof...let's say we can track down the ancestory of said indivdual(s) and give their linage back pay. give yourselves pats on the back.

I attribute all to God, intellectual proprietor, creator, and ruler of all.

Around the Network

Oh, I pirate ROMs too. But I also buy VC games. And of course, some things (like Roland MT-32 ROMs or TI-83 ROMs) almost have to be pirated.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

....It's not possible to pirate the Bible

Copyright law put it in the public domain hundreds of years ago.

That's the problem with the idea of piracy of games and information being theft. You're benefiting from someone else's work without paying for it, yes, but if you wait a while the creator isn't legally entitled to it anymore!

Yarr... I have saved a lot of time and money by getting 'test' version of game and by trying it for 10-30mins. I know there are demos, but in those you cant access everything. However I tend to buy good games.

I pirate PC games. And i'm all for everyone doing it the way i do.

Ie. I bought Red Alert 3, but i wasn't going to install it from the disc because i disagree with making honest customers install secuROM so i downloaded a pirate version with all the rootkit crap removed.

Same with Crysis Warhead and Dead Space.

So yeah, i pirate, but i am also a legitimate customer.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
WraithPriest said:
I pirate PC games. And i'm all for everyone doing it the way i do.

Ie. I bought Red Alert 3, but i wasn't going to install it from the disc because i disagree with making honest customers install secuROM so i downloaded a pirate version with all the rootkit crap removed.

Same with Crysis Warhead and Dead Space.

So yeah, i pirate, but i am also a legitimate customer.

So, it's like you give me $100 and then steal it from me. That's still theft, you know.