By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy - Who here is a "pirate" ???

ok so i just want to get this out....

this is my opinion on pirating

when people pirate they (the ppl i know) usually do it because they dont want to pay 100 bucks or whatever for a game. however this is not stealing IMO (and i said IMO) because if they didnt pirate then they wouldnt pay the 100 bucks any way, no matter how much they wanted the game....

so in this situation it would be either having the game pirated or not buying the game at all....so really this helps the developer because they would usually tell all their friends about the game (ie me) and they would end up buying it. (this is how i end up buying games...through friends who have the game and advertise it to me)

This is not stealing because if they didnt pirate the game they wouldnt end up buying the game and therefore the developer or whoever is not losing out on any money anyway because they wouldnt have got the game if they had to pay for it....

but for example if someone were to pirate LBP and shared my opinion on either pirating or not paying, it would help the developer because they would pay for the other features such as MGS paintball addon pack so really the developer would get money off that...

so if you followed all my logic etc if someone were to pirate they wouldnt be stealing because if they didnt pirate they wouldnt get teh game at all....

that is my opinion and what some friends of mine do and think.....

however i am against people pirating massive amounts then selling copied games for a profit (just wanted to get that out of the way)

Predictions

GT5 will sell 3.2million + first week on ps3 (made 06 March 2010)

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

KH3 will be PS3 EXCLUSIVE - willing to bet removal from vgchartz for a month

Around the Network

arrrrr i be a butt pirate!....yeah not that kidna butt pirate >.>

Anyway no not usually, I have pirated Oblivion cause i already bought the game on 360, and the ps3. I realllly didn't want to pay for the same game a third time.

Edit: and monster hunter portable 2 G since i already bought monster hunter freedom 2 and i needed an ISO file to patch it into english. I played monter hunter 2 in japanese and learned all of those damn characters to realize what i was carving but after a while it game me a headache. So wasn't gonna do that again unless i could patch it.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

oh and before some people start to criticise my friends i have to say

who were has never downloaded a song or movie etc or an illegal version of a program with a key etc ???? barely no one...so please no bashing...i just want to hear if anyone else here who is a pirate shares the same view of my logic?

Predictions

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

The ability to copy data without destroying the original really muddies up the question of whether or not it's theft, and it's not really a lost sale because pirates probably wouldn't buy those games anyone in nine out of ten cases.

Still, I don't really like it.

But few % would certainly buy the game. So it does affect it some.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Around the Network

Khuutra

exactly what i mean....
but i always see people calling others theives etc on the website if they pirate but i think it is because they paid for the product etc and are angry that someone else got it for free... thats why i think heaps of people dont like it....

Predictions

But few % would certainly buy the game. So it does affect it some

yes even if that small % did affect sales etc the rest of the pirated % would end up making up for that small % trhough side sales etc (game guides, figures, toys and extras for the game) and if they really liked the pirated game they may end up buying the sequel so it adds a bigger audience and revenue to the developer...

for example if someone copied KZ1 on ps2 and liked it and wanted KZ2 they would end up buying it on ps3 because you can pirate ps3 games yet....

Predictions

We've all pirated. Music, movies, books, games, every single person here has stolen.

That doesn't make it right.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Yes I agree with the OP..

I'll be bashed for it but I pirated Quantum of Solace and Shaun White Snowboarding for Wii and i ended up buying Shaun White because I enjoyed it, Quantum of Solace i chucked out and deleted the ISO.. It was crap :P

So I guess I use the ability to pirate as a demo for games I'm not sure about..

I don't agree with pirating for profit though, that's a whole other topic

puffy said:
Yes I agree with the OP..

I'll be bashed for it but I pirated Quantum of Solace and Shaun White Snowboarding for Wii and i ended up buying Shaun White because I enjoyed it, Quantum of Solace i chucked out and deleted the ISO.. It was crap :P

So I guess I use the ability to pirate as a demo for games I'm not sure about..

I don't agree with pirating for profit though, that's a whole other topic

Pirating for profit is unquestionably bullshit, that's an entirely different matter.

Like I said: pirating is still wrong. I'm just not convinced it's especially harmful.