By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Original cool games don't make money, Dead Rising port yes

Galaki said:
People. You're all missing the point.
The guy clearly was saying, "Z&W and Okami didn't make money (like the Mario games)."

It's a possible interpretation but I don't think it is very clear.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

They should just plead to Nintendo to let them use Mario, and call the sequel "Zack, Wiki, & Mario."

10m sales world wide confirmed.

Zack, Wiki & Mario: Quest for Ten Million Seller

--OkeyDokey-- said:
So Zack and Wiki wasn't profitable, eh?

People on here had me believing that it's not possible to lose money on a Wii game...

you shouldn't trust fanboys, especially the nintendo fans

This question is not talking about the quality of the game made, just whether or not the game SHOULD be made.

F--- him, its not going to make any money from me with that type of priority. So basically hes admitting the game is not quality.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Colin Ferris has been working in the video game industry since 1996. He was a Co-Founder and Community Editor for GameRevolution.com until 2001, and Product Manager for several video game companies. He is currently a Product Marketing Manager at Capcom's offices in San Mateo focusing on the Dead Rising and Monster Hunter brands.

So he's the guy to blame if MH3 doesn't come over to the west also. good to know

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

NJ5 said:
Somehow I find it hard to believe Zack & Wiki didn't make a profit yet. It sold 0.54 million according to vgchartz, if the publisher gets $20 per copy that's $10 million. Are we to believe this game cost as much to make as Gears of War?

Not only that but I do recall seeing some comments from Capcom about Zack & Wiki being a success. I'll try to find them later.

I asked the exact same thing to Sven of Capcom, but he said I'm ways of....

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money

wfz said:
They should just plead to Nintendo to let them use Mario, and call the sequel "Zack, Wiki, & Mario."

The fact is they could have used Zack and Wiki as a template for a whole range if new games.

What's to stop them doing a side on Resident Evil point and click adventure in the same style? They could have re-used assets from previous RE games and made a really interesting spin on the franchise for no more than it cost to make Zack and Wiki....and it would sell far more units. If not that then why not a Zack and Wiki style Megaman game or Ghosts and Goblins game? They have plenty of franchises they could transpose to the point and click genre that would get decent sales.

Bluelava said:
wfz said:

The fact is they could have used Zack and Wiki as a template for a whole range if new games.

What's to stop them doing a side on Resident Evil point and click adventure in the same style? They could have re-used assets from previous RE games and made a really interesting spin on the franchise for no more than it cost to make Zack and Wiki....and it would sell far more units. If not that then why not a Zack and Wiki style Megaman game or Ghosts and Goblins game? They have plenty of franchises they could transpose to the point and click genre that would get decent sales.

...Actually, that's an absurdly cool idea. That has the potential to be scary as Hell, with Resident Evil.

Khuutra said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Khuutra said:
Esa-Petteri said:
@Khuutra

I think I will stick with what capcom said. Z&W did not make money.

You are not actually arguing with me, you are just insisting on one pedantic interpretation of those words that ignores context.

You are a bright kid. You can of course have your own conclusions of what Capcom said. I have mine. :)

In the end, Capcom will continue to make the games we believe people will love to play, whether they are unique titles such as Zack & Wiki and We Love Golf or reworked versions of existing titles like Resident Evil 4, Okami, and Dead Rising.

Capcom does not stick to a formula once burned. The fact that they even hint at the possibility of more games like Zack and Wiki indicates that it didn't lose money.

Stop it! Just stop using facts a logic! Can't you see that he can't take it?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"