By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Original cool games don't make money, Dead Rising port yes

http://www.edge-online.com/news/capcom-ups-full-year-forecast-game-sales

They were happy with it's sales back then. Did it slip off and have no legs?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Sounds more like production/cost issues on Capcom's side. No More Heroes make a profit on 390k (assuming so, because they have a sequel in the works) and yet Zack and Wiki sells over 500k and doesn't pull a profit? Something is wrong here.

It's just that simple.

What the fuck? Wasn't Dead Rising a cool new original game that made money?

*head explodes*

Demotruk said:
http://www.edge-online.com/news/capcom-ups-full-year-forecast-game-sales

They were happy with it's sales back then. Did it slip off and have no legs?

Yeah, benga should bring that up on the Capcom's board, just so we can be clear on if the game was not profitable, or just not profitable enough.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Ari_Gold said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
So Zack and Wiki wasn't profitable, eh?

People on here had me believing that it's not possible to lose money on a Wii game...

you shouldn't trust fanboys, especially the nintendo fans

1. That would only be fanboys if they just made it up. Capcom had previously stated they were happy with the game's sales. See the above link.

2. What the hell makes Sony or Microsoft fanboys less untrustworthy? They lie and twist facts just as much.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
NJ5 said:
Somehow I find it hard to believe Zack & Wiki didn't make a profit yet. It sold 0.54 million according to vgchartz, if the publisher gets $20 per copy that's $10 million. Are we to believe this game cost as much to make as Gears of War?

Not only that but I do recall seeing some comments from Capcom about Zack & Wiki being a success. I'll try to find them later.

I asked the exact same thing to Sven of Capcom, but he said I'm ways of....

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money

I think that the "ways of" comment was about the USD 20 of profit per copy... Zack & Wiki have sold loads when it reached the USD 20 pricepoint, so Capcom may have made USD 5 per unit at that point, so I think that it's safe to assume that the profit is about USD 10 per unit.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Bluelava said:
wfz said:
They should just plead to Nintendo to let them use Mario, and call the sequel "Zack, Wiki, & Mario."

10m sales world wide confirmed.

The fact is they could have used Zack and Wiki as a template for a whole range if new games.

What's to stop them doing a side on Resident Evil point and click adventure in the same style? They could have re-used assets from previous RE games and made a really interesting spin on the franchise for no more than it cost to make Zack and Wiki....and it would sell far more units. If not that then why not a Zack and Wiki style Megaman game or Ghosts and Goblins game? They have plenty of franchises they could transpose to the point and click genre that would get decent sales.

Liked. Capcom, make it happen.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Capcom has a terrible business strategy if Zack & Wiki and Okami really didn't make a profit.

In february 2008, Capcom stated Zack & Wiki sold well. So selling well means still losing money? Ouch for Capcom's business strategy.

Zack & Wiki has now sold over 500.000 units, 90% of them at 50 dollars/euro's. 95% of the similar games that reached that number, made a healthy profit (De Blob, No More Heroes, Boom Blox), as it's been stated numerous times by publishers and analysts.

500k for a low budget niche game should rake in a good profit. It looks like Capcom spent over 10 million dollars making Zack & Wiki. You can probably make 2 times No More Heroes and 2 times De Blob combined with that amount of money. Obviously, Capcom has a terrible business strategy.

The unability of Capcom to make any money with Zack & Wiki selling over 500k units within a year is telling. Capcom is lost.

Okami was selling "along expectations", and it's on track to outsell the PS2 version. The Wii version is obviously a port, and it couldn't have cost much money at all. Still, it failed to make Capcom any money.

Conclusion: Capcom has a terrible business strategy and is unable to make any money even though all other publishers are able to with similar products and similar sales. Capcom is extremely inefficient.

I think the problem for Zack and Wiki was retail snubbed it, hard. When it launched with the whole buy zack and wiki campaign and everythign people were complaining they couldn't find the thing, it was nowhere. Sure retailers picked up on it but with an iffy reception to begin with I doubt it held a high retail price.

Once you factor out retail cuts, royalties, production costs etc, selling a game at cut prices isn't going to give you much money. My guess is that most of those 500k sales were at severely slashed prices, I just can't imagine how else the game didn't make money. Zack and Wiki started with a budget ($40?) price anyway didn't it?

I'm not sure about No More Heroes but de Blob sold at full retail price for it's sales, thanks to the Christmas rush. Another example - Haze is heading to a million but most of those sales are at drastically cut retail prices. With the recession and whatnot retailers are getting more and more stringy with how many games they order, there was an article on that recently too.

But yeah, on the capcom-unity site someone asked about this and although Sven couldn't give a proper answer due to investor contracts etc, he said the persons figures were 'way off'. Link:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/13078821/Zack__Wiki_didnt_make_money

Yeah, I posted too on that site (same as my post here but heavily modified so I wouldn't get banned lol).