By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why should i get a Wii ?

NNN2004 said:

can anyone tell me whats special on the wii other than the controller ? can anyone argue me to buy one.

i ask because i want to get one but i didnt see anything special about it except the controller and i dont think its a big deal.

You don't see anything special, and you don't think it's a big deal, yet you still want to get it? That doesn't make any sense to me. Just save your money, or buy more PS3/360 games.

Around the Network

no, dont get a wii. If you dont care for the controler now you will never care for it. its like marriage, you cant get married expecting the person to change and be so wonderful because your married, you gotta make sure they're the wonderful person you want and then get married. Other wise you will be unhappy with your spouce/ wii lol for ever!!! Also dont get married until you find the right one! for example I bought a wii and then realised it wasnt really the right one for me, the 360 was. To put it in a nutshell, all the wii has going for it is a bunch of games that spout "different" game play, a motion controler and... umm...thats it. before to long you'll realise the wiggles and waggles on the controler are just as simple and plane as a button press. Its pointer is what makes it. So if your happy with HD gaming and dont really care for the remote you wont find anything on the wii that you cant get in HD on another console :)

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

If you need people to persuade you to get something, you shouldn't get it. Buying something like a console should come from natural desire from what one has experienced not persuasion from anonymous internet forum users

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Cause it's cute like a button!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Pristine20 said:
If you need people to persuade you to get something, you shouldn't get it. Buying something like a console should come from natural desire from what one has experienced not persuasion from anonymous internet forum users

why not ..  they own the wii they know whats negative and whats positive on it .. i think its the best source of info about it.

Around the Network

if you get ps3 or 360 they are both same the something nothing different but if you wii it some different that you never seen in your life .the really question is why shouldn't you buy a wii ?

please click  dragons and eggs

posative:

free online
TONS of old games on VC
backwards compatible with GC (yay!)
Simple motion sensing
pointer for FPS
Alot of exclusivs
long life and no fear of console being unsupported
Nintendo make some of the best games in the world
Nintendo IP's are clasics
the console to have for new game play experiences

Negative:

no HD and looks crap on a big TV, even with component cables
Is not a media hub, so you cant watch DVDs an no longer play mp3s etc.
small storage space

Now the thing with the negatives is that for a HD gamer they carry more weight then all the wiis posatives. So you must make a choice, you are either a HD gamer and thus the wii will never fully satisfy you. Or you are indiferent. But from the sounds of things if your used to HD games and dont care for motion controles then there is absolutly nothing reall there. If you dont have a nintendo history their IPs wont mean much to you either.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

Easy:

Access to VC, absolute classics from Nintendo and Sega platforms from the past, plus commodore 64 (my first system), there are so many incredible amazing games there Wii is worth buying just for VC in my opinion.

WiiWare, offers great entertaiment as good as XBLA and PSN with games such World of Goo. WiiWare + VC > XBLA + PSN in terms of offerings

Nintendo Games (they do make the best games) Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid. Plus new ip's Fatal Frame (well kinda), Disaster etc. etc.

Other exclusives coming this year Madworld, No More Heroes 2, Conduit

JRPG's, Wii will be the dominant console in terms of JRPG's lineup this year include Fragile, Arc Rise Fantasia, Kizuna, New Tales , MH III with many more coming.

And most important new ways to enjoy your games, look at Wii Fit and possibilities that it gives playing Shaun White Snowboarding, Wii Mote + Motion Plus will do magic in sword fighting, and looking at Controls of Metroid Prime 3 shooters work extremely well on that platform.

And Even if Wii would be just your 3rd or secondary console it will offer you atlernative from HD twins, something more fresh and fun. PLus it is the ultimate party and friends system.

the controller is a more than enough reason to buy a Wii (much better reason than graphics) also, it has great games, just watch the best selling games of 2008 & all those great games from 2006 and 2007

another reason is that it's the most fun to console to enjoy with friends or family, something that can't be done that much on other consoles

Wii Motion Plus also makes it sound even better, not to mention the 2009 3rd party and Nintendo games

-about DVD, Wii may not have a lot of space to store videos (sd card is 2gb) but now that youtube is optimized for Wii, you can stream videos on Wii so fast and in good quality

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

"i didnt see anything special about it except the controller"

The controller is a huge part of it, and I suspect that you don't realise just how good the Wii controls are.It is not justa matter of replacing a button-press with waggling.

The controls are very sensitive (Kororinpa) and capable of great subtlety in use (Wii Music) and the pointer is a supremely natural way of playing shooters (Link's Crossbow Training). When well-implemented, the nuances of timing (Wii Sports Tennis) and gentle twisting movements (Wii Sports Bowling) bring depth to the simplest-looking of games.

Of course, they are not always used to best advantage (Red Steel), but the potential is huge, whether you are adventuring (Twilight Princess), exploring (Endless Ocean), platforming (Super Mario Galaxy) or snowboarding (Sean White).

After playing some good Wii games, using an old-style controller is rather like trying to drive a car that doesn't have a steering-wheel.

So yes, it is mostly the controller (and of course the games that use it), but that is a much bigger breakthrough than it first appears to be.

It is worth giving it a go.